Any concrete guys on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any concrete guys on here?

I need a second opinion on something. PM me please and thanks!

Not a concrete guy but my wife did say I’m a “know it all” so I might be able to help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
      not a concrete guy but my wife did say i’m a “know it all” so i might be able to help you out.
      :d :d

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
        I need a second opinion on something. PM me please and thanks!
        Make sure you set up barricades after finishing the concrete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK06O...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
          Make sure you set up barricades after finishing the concrete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK06O...ature=youtu.be
          Lol the concrete was poured in November and was barricaded for a week. There's an issue with just part of it now...

Comment

Whats the issue?

Comment

This is flat work (driveway) in front of our shop. Was poured in November. This is the ONLY part that is having this issue (the part that was done with the last truckload). There are probably 20 of these holes and sand is coming up through the holes and the concrete in general... just curious what causes this?

And yes, the guy who did the concrete is coming at 4 today. I'm just wanting to make sure I dont get some BS answer...

Comment

Looks like the concrete wasn’t mixed good and had pockets of the sand in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trailerman3 View Post
                  That's what we thought but the concrete came from a 35 minute drive from us so there was plenty of time for it to spin...

Comment

Looks to me like the concrete was never hit (or not enough) with a concrete vibrator or vibratory screed in those areas and when bull floated likely trapped some large air pockets which have had the surface chipped off since to expose the pockets.

Hard to really see depth of concrete on this picture but that's something to verify as well is that you actually got the amount of concrete that you paid for. On the plus side, it looks like your contraction joints are doing exactly what they are intended to do and making the cracks occur in those locations.

Comment

Clay Balls in the concrete.... Don't know where the concrete came from, but there was either clay balls in the sand that was used, or the loader operator feeding the plant got his bucket into clay. The paste generated when finishing the concrete hid them for a while, but eventually the paste is broken off the surface and the clay balls begin to flush out.

Comment

Originally posted by trailerman3 View Post
                        looks like the concrete wasn’t mixed good and had pockets of the sand in it.
                        sh-sh-shaaa!

Comment

Originally posted by Trailerman3 View Post
                          This could definitely be an option as well, although less likely as you said the concrete had a 35 minute drive to get to the site.

Comment

Can you stick a screwdriver/rebar in hole...how deep? 1" deep? or deeper? 1" deep, they worked mud into surface while troweling/bull mopping. Deeper(3" deep, or all the way through, are voids/hollow areas

Comment

How many failure areas (pockmarks) are there in how large an area?

Pock marking like this is commonly caused by too much moisture in the subgrade. Essentially, the concrete bleeds its own water during finishing, then sucks the moisture out of the ground as it dries out. This always happens and it is common in hot, dry, high temp times of year to lightly spray down a subgrade so the reverse does not happen.

If the subgrade is too wet (like after a rain), then this moisture can form pockets of water in the concrete that become voids as time goes on. The concrete covering these pockets eventually fails and you will see the pock marks.

If you get a rain before a pour, sometimes contractors will try to dry the subgrade with lime, but this isn't a perfect solution because you are really just drying the surface and you could still have water below the surface migrate up through the concrete. The effectiveness of this method is highly variable depending on the subgrade material and preparation.

If it only happens in certain areas, it is often in the lower areas near drains or the downslope portions of sheet drained pavements because they stay wet longer after a rain. This is a pretty good indicator that it was wet subgrade.

As far as repair, grinding to clean concrete and using an approved repair material is adequate, but there are probably voids that are not yet exposed to the surface. The only sure way to repair concrete is to remove and replace joint to joint.

I have seen paving areas where this doesn't manifest for many years depending on many factors like traffic and prevalence of failures. I have also seen very pockmarked areas that performed satisfactorily for many years. This can be vary between not a big problem to a substantial contributor to paving failure.

There are other possible issues that can cause this, but wet subgrade is the most common in my experience.

I would push for a solution with your contractor now as opposed to later when your warranty is likely up. Industry standard for concrete paving warranties is 1 year.

I have been pouring concrete since I was 13 years old (now 39) and have done everything from sidewalks to highrise, residential to industrial, and repair to new construction. Please feel free to PM me for more information.

Good luck,

EG
                              Last edited by El General; 04-18-2018, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X