McMullen Ranch Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McMullen Ranch Thread

Figured I would start this thread to catalog pictures and hunts on our family ranch in McMullen County over the course of the 2017/18 hunting season.

A few years ago we tried to take out as many native does as we could and bought some bred does from various breeders. We took our bottom end bucks off the property and left some of the best of the best of the natives that we had running around. We had pretty good genetics to start with but we are trying to increase our top end by "fluffing up" our does with improved genetics. The original does had fawns that are now 4 years old.

We just started running cameras recently and some of our bigger deer have finally made an appearance. We have not gotten much rain at all this year and it's really dry and hot. The deer are tearing up the protein and alfalfa but starting to show some really nice growth. We won't be taking many (if any) this year but will be taking a decent number of does in order to keep our population in check.

Here are some pics over the last week or two.

Known 4 yr old

Nice 4 yr old

Really like this guy

Cool light colored fawn

Photo from this morning. Lots to be excited about and hopefully they will continue to pour it on over the next few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TildenHunter; 07-14-2017, 11:21 AM.

Amazing deer

Comment

I wonder how long it would take to tunnel from our place to yours??

Great deer!!

Comment

Very impressive. Lots of big frames and splits. Love it.

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
          Very impressive. Lots of big frames and splits. Love it.
          You don't know this but you are one of the reasons we started this venture . Your pictures and game plan is something we are generally trying to mimic. Also TBHer Split Arrow has a family place not far away from us and have had amazing results and led us in this direction.

Comment

Following!

Comment

Little double drop

Only have an axis or two on the property but this guy is a stud.

Nice blackbuck

I don't know what to say about this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                Little double drop

Only have an axis or two on the property but this guy is a stud.

Nice blackbuck

I don't know what to say about this guy.

How old?.. as nice and framy as those other deer look. I have a hard time letting him get at the girls

Would still be a really cool cull

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

Man, I still wish I had my little lease in Tilden! That place was awesome!

Looks like y'all got a great place too! Very nice critters!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                      How old?.. as nice and framy as those other deer look. I have a hard time letting him get at the girls

Would still be a really cool cull

I'm really not sure how old he is. I'll have to get eyes on him later this summer or early fall. Guessing he is 2-3. I think he will live one more year. Only thing that could get him shot this year is if he finishes with tines that go straight up and look like daggers. Would be a shame for him to kill a better buck.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                        I'm really not sure how old he is. I'll have to get eyes on him later this summer or early fall. Guessing he is 2-3. I think he will live one more year. Only thing that could get him shot this year is if he finishes with tines that go straight up and look like daggers. Would be a shame for him to kill a better buck.

Yeah, also depends on how ypu feel about freaks. If your looking for just inches of bone somtimes they scpre CRAZY.

Marking this thread like what your doing

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice. I will be following along.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                            Yeah, also depends on how ypu feel about freaks. If your looking for just inches of bone somtimes they scpre CRAZY.

Marking this thread like what your doing

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I do not care about score as much as look. I just don't want to shoot him if there is a chance of pedicle damage. He obviously is capable of throwing a decent amount of bone. But more then likely he will still be ugly next year and then get whacked. We named him Barnacle Bill

Comment

Looks great.
                              Any plans to use DMP to help get the most out of your better bucks?

Comment

Working...
                              X