No announcement yet.

Game cam taking pics of nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every game camera I've had does not sense motion, they sense a change in temperature. What triggers them when it's hot out and no animals in the picture is the temp change between the shady spots and sunny spots. When the wind blows, it will move weeds and branches causing once shady spots to be in the sun momentarily and this causes the camera to pick up the change in temperature and so it takes a picture. This is why it can be windy at night and yet you don't get the false triggers. If they sensed movement, you would also get the false triggers at night. The reason they don't false trigger as much when it's cooler out is because there is not a big enough temperature change between the shady spots and the sunny spots like there is when it's hot out.

Comment

Shadows trigger mine sometimes. Heat will too.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
        Every game camera I've had does not sense motion, they sense a change in temperature. What triggers them when it's hot out and no animals in the picture is the temp change between the shady spots and sunny spots. When the wind blows, it will move weeds and branches causing once shady spots to be in the sun momentarily and this causes the camera to pick up the change in temperature and so it takes a picture. This is why it can be windy at night and yet you don't get the false triggers. If they sensed movement, you would also get the false triggers at night. The reason they don't false trigger as much when it's cooler out is because there is not a big enough temperature change between the shady spots and the sunny spots like there is when it's hot out.
        What kind of cameras do you use? All of mine are motion activated not heat sensors.

Comment

Comment

Interesting thread.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
              +1

That being said, the wildgame cameras I had in the past were more likely to miss critters than to false trigger. May wanna check the fresnel lens too. If a woodpecker destroys the cover over the PIR sensor, you're going to have even more false triggers under hot/windy conditions than normal.

Comment

I switched all of my trail cam mounts over to Gunny's and installed his T-Shade too. Not near as many shadow pics as before and batteries last longer.

Comment

I had a Browning camera doing the same thing except.....a bird had knocked out the plastic on the sensor. The camera would take the same pic over and over even if animals were in front of it. I have another camera in the same pen so deer were all around the pen. Sometimes game cameras can drive ya crazy.

Comment

Black panthers walking past.

Comment

All the ghost bucks that’s been killed in the area coming back around ��

Comment

Thanks for the insight gents. All my cams are in perfect working order with nothing missing, cracked or broken. I’m hoping it’s the heat that was causing the issue cuz it’s a pain to go through several hundred pics per week of nothingness. Thanks again.

Comment

Try clearing any brush that gets blown around too much. As has been mentioned, the cameras detect a change in temp and generally its from "zone to zone". when brush moves it exposes spots that due to direct sunlight are radiating heat well above that of the brush/grass. This is interpreted as movement by the camera's PIR sensor.

Some cameras have a mode that is called a "walk test". It allows for a user to view camera triggers at different sensitivity levels. When set to this mode, an LED lights up when the camera gets triggered. You can walk around in front of the camera and see when it "senses motion" and gets triggered. You can set your cameras on this mode, step off to the side and see how sensitive your cameras are.
                          Last edited by Pedernal; 10-08-2019, 02:23 AM.

Comment

I get a lot of pictures from spider webs I believe for some reason them spiders love my cameras.

Comment

as of yesterday, we now know that a brush fire will trigger our Covert cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                                I switched all of my trail cam mounts over to Gunny's and installed his T-Shade too. Not near as many shadow pics as before and batteries last longer.

Comment

Working...
                                X