No announcement yet.

BBQ/Smoker...UDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine is coming along great, gonna burn it out tonight. Got my charcoal basket done, just need an ash pan and a grate. I'm looking for an old throw away Weber for the meat grate, but may have to break down and buy one at Home Depot. I would say that it will be cooking next week, but with Johnny's post on the weather, well, maybe not. I'm dying to run some pulled pork in it.

Comment

any concern with what contents the drum held previously, or is a good hot fire enough to make it food safe?

Comment

How do you burn it out and is there another way instead of sandblasting it to clean out the inside to make it safe to smoke meat in there?

Comment

I was fortunate enough to get new drums to make mine out of. There was only surface rust on the inside. I would still spray the inside and grill heavily with Pam and burn it out for a while. Any food grade, unlined drum would work.
          My drums are simple. I don't use a charcoal basket, I just put my coals on the bottom. As for the ball valves, I just crack the door I use to put coals in to adjust the heat.
          I would love to be at Bownanza this year and show off some of my drums. I am new to the greenscreen and am addicted. Unfortunately, I have to work and have to save vacation for hunting.
          Last edited by Grndchecker; 01-08-2011, 10:03 PM.

Comment

I don't have any personal experience with these, but asked around after seeing this thread. A guy I work with occasionally uses one and prefers it over any other cooker he's got... and he's a competition Qer.

I'll be building one directly.

Comment

All you ever wanted to know about this type of smoker.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                Mine is coming along great, gonna burn it out tonight. Got my charcoal basket done, just need an ash pan and a grate. I'm looking for an old throw away Weber for the meat grate, but may have to break down and buy one at Home Depot. I would say that it will be cooking next week, but with Johnny's post on the weather, well, maybe not. I'm dying to run some pulled pork in it.
                If you need someone to sample, you know where to find me.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                  any concern with what contents the drum held previously, or is a good hot fire enough to make it food safe?
                  Id stay with a food grade drum, definetly dont want something that was hazardous, The drums I use held chain and had plastic liner.

To burn it out I have jyst bult a big fire using mesquite or a propane torch similar to a pear burner....just get it hot enough to burn all the paint off on the inside, scrape/wire brush it clean when it cools down

Comment

Where do you get barrels from???? I've been trying to contact a couple of places around Clute and Freeport but can't seem to get anyone to answer a phone.

Comment

I need to try and build one also,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by southtexasff View Post
                        I guess the purpose of the ball valve on the bottom is for air, what is the purpose of capping the other holes drilled on the bottom?
                        The purpose of the capped holes is that you want to limit the oxygen the smoker takes in so that you can regulate the temp more efficiently. Otherwise, the temp will just keep rising and rising.

Comment

I think I have located 4 55 gal open top barrels... I am going to at least make 2....

Comment

Really like the pic with 3 drums smoking away with 2 "Eggs" sitting idle, LOL.

Somewhere in there is a message!

Thanks for the post up BrushTrooper.

Comment

Working...
                            X