Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long does it take to dry out trees to burn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Long does it take to dry out trees to burn?

I usually cut them down in the summer and cut them up to burn in the winter. Well I have some trees I dozed about two weeks ago that are not firewood, just a burn pile. Are they dry enough yet or do I need to wait longer?

If it is cedar push it and burn it in the same day. I do it all the time and it starts easy. just make sure to push the grass away a little further as it will tend to jump a little more when it is green.

Comment

Dont ask me, I always catch the dang pasture on fire....

I wait 2-3 weeks for my downed wood to harden...

But Im almost 40

Comment

Ha ha. Well I'm not that old but the wetter it is, the moredifficult it is to burn... Trees that is. It's a mix of pine and oak with some yaupon mixed in. Montgomery county brush

Comment

If you get it hot enough.........it'll burn.

Get a pump sprayer and fill it with diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

This ^^

Comment

with enough diesel fuel, dirt will burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

Yes sir! This is the ticket. We often burn the same day or next day. Get it hot enough and you will be fine. Nothing I love more than 10-15 piles going across the ranch...it smells like progress.

Comment

I figured someone was going to say get it hot enough a nd it will burn. I guess I will get me some diesel and lighter fluid and have at it. Going to be a big fire in a neighborhood. May get a few calls, but it's got to go

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                    with enough diesel fuel, dirt will burn.
                    This is what I was gonna say! A friend of mine cuts and burns the same day and there is never anything left. Gets a little expensive though.

Comment

My grandfather always said wait 10 days and set it on fire, it would burn everything up not covered in dirt from the dozer?

Don't know this from my experience though.

Comment

It won't take that much diesel, just enough to get it started. It depends on how much small stuff vs big trees. The more brush, the easier to get it going. I burn downed oak and pecan trees at my place in Brazoria county within 2 weeks.

Comment

If it is a clean pile, not full of dirt, 3 days is perfect for oak. Pour 5 gal. diesel down the middle of a large pile, splash some to the edge in one place and light with a feed sack. The diesel in the core will get the pile hot enough to burn. You may have to push in the edges as the fire dies down.

Comment

Working...
                          X