Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far can 17hmr bullet travel in ricochet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far can 17hmr bullet travel in ricochet?

Green Screen I'm trying to settle an argument. Hypothetically. How far could a ricochet from 17hmr into water or off ground travel? How much force would it carry say at 600 yds? 1000yds? I know there may b possible variables. I'm just looking for educated guess or experience. I mean is it still deadly at that point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by NotJose View Post
    Green Screen I'm trying to settle an argument. Hypothetically. How far could a ricochet from 17hmr into water or off ground travel? How much force would it carry say at 600 yds? 1000yds? I know there may b possible variables. I'm just looking for educated guess or experience. I mean is it still deadly at that point?

So many things would affect that especially the angles

Comment

As thin as it is, may not be much left if coming off hard ground or rock. But that's just a guess.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I had mine sighted in a 300yds, and it was accurate. But a ricochet has too many variables but I'd imagine it'll go a long way!

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
          So many things would affect that especially the angles

Say you were shooting downward from elevated position into a pond, could it deflect over a hill directly across from you and then travel 600 yds? And more importantly would that carry enough force to cause any real hurt?

Comment

Say you were shooting downward from elevated position into a pond, could it deflect over a hill directly across from you and then travel 600 yds? And more importantly would that carry enough force to cause any real hurt?

Highly doubt it

Comment

Shooting at turtles, huh? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by crumrw View Post
                Shooting at turtles, huh? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Beavers

Comment

I've never had a .17hmr ricochet that I can remember. The 17gr. V-Max is a very frangible bullet. It'd probably come apart as it hit the water.

It probably tells on the box. I can't remember how far a .22lr can supposedly travel but it's a good ways.

Comment

I wouldn't volunteer to stand 600 yards downrange and let you try if that is an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                      I've never had a .17hmr ricochet that I can remember. The 17gr. V-Max is a very frangible bullet. It'd probably come apart as it hit the water.

It probably tells on the box. I can't remember how far a .22lr can supposedly travel but it's a good ways.
                      mile(for .22lr)
                      Last edited by eradicator; 09-13-2017, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                        mile(for .22lr)
                        Yep!

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                          mile(for .22lr)
                          I couldn't remember if it was 3/4 of a mile or a mile but either way that's a long ways out there

I think as long as you stay away from FMJ's and stick to the bullets that shatter on impact you won't have any problems. Bullet fragments will be all there is to ricochet anywhere.

Comment

However, iSnipe is showing 41.6 foot pounds of energy at 600 yards with a 20grain V Max. Even without a ricochet, 41.6 isn't enough to do damage. Most likely cut that energy down to 25% due to the bullet tumbling and being reformed after a ricochet, 10 foot pounds would merely leave a bruise.

Comment

Here's some general info.

When a bullet strikes any surface, there is a critical angle at which the bullet will bounce off or ricochet from the surface rather than penetrate. After

Comment

Working...
                              X