TBH got mentioned on episode 103 of meateater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
    I have seen the request for screenshots multiple times, and it has always made me scratch my head. Why anyone would want to see it is beyond me. I like Ragin', I miss seeing his actual contributions to TBH. I would love to meet him, and sit down with him. However, I do NOT want to see what he said to Mary, nor any other MOD blasts. I don't doubt that he felt slighted, he allowed a few folks to get under his skin and I understand a few of those instances. I have a few that I don't truly care for, but I ignore them as best I can. I've had disagreements with a couple of others that we handled amicably in PM's and I've been able to see where they're coming from. I still don't agree with some ways that folks deal with things, but at least I can understand where they're coming from. I won't ever agree with a few guys and the way that they refuse to leave folks alone. If the MOD's can leave stuff alone, it baffles me as to why others refuse to. But I digress

That being said...Michael, you guys do a great job of letting people handle things amongst themselves until it becomes obvious that they can't. And I appreciate it. I've seen forums get completely sideways due to lack of moderator input and I'm glad that y'all keep a close eye on things. I rarely ever visit other hunting forums, and even more rarely do I post on any other hunting forum. TBH is an incredible place, and I appreciate all that y'all do
    I asked to see it, but had no idea. First time request for a screenshot. I was curious as to what he could have posted to get him permanently banned. Calling that childish is an understatement. Disgusting is more like it. I'm kind of glad I saw it...just to know that he certainly does not belong here.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
      But back on topic. I think guys would be amazed with how people from out west look at our way of hunting out here in Texas. Hell im from here and I think high fences are the worst thing that has happened to hunting probably ever. Some parts of Texas just have livestock and not wildlife. I mean just look at the thread going right now where the dip **** shoots a show goat with a blow gun in a pen. That doesnt look good for hunting.
      I agree, hunting in Texas has somewhat been "cheapened" so to speak by the kick and shoot places. We get picked on all the time by outfitters we have hunted with in Western states. Corn feeders, high fence, pen raised, aging are all topics of ridicule. One of the funniest moments of one hunt, was the response from a guide after my buddy asked the guide how old did he think the bull was that my buddy just killed. The response was profanity laced classic.

Comment

Some of y'all need to re read post 99.

We don't talk about banned users

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

he said THEY don't talk about banned users

Comment

You're one to be talkin

Comment

Muuaahh! Right between the cheeks!

Comment

Comment

sounds like there needs to be a trophy room thread to list every banned user

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    Two co workers were on a several thousand acre HF ranch (Greater than 10,000). They drove around all day until they saw what they wanted, hopped outta the truck, shot the animal they wanted from a herd of say 5 to 10 animals. Well the other animals that didn't get shot had to be shooed away because they were so used to people that they didn't know to run. Those same co workers have done similar hunts numerous times, and multiple ranches, so I know this isn't a one off situation.

That is what most people not from Texas think of Texas HF hunting.
                    I contend this is typically more of a function of regular feed routes and/or on-demand protein feeding stations than of high fence. Even whitetails in different areas of the state will behave differently, regardless of height of fence.

I've hunted on various pastures of the King and Kenedy - all low fence - and the deer on that area of the coast simply behave and respond to humans differently than anywhere else. Some of it is attributable to regular baiting, but even areas where deer may have never seen a human or bait aren't as skittish as elsewhere.

We have 1800 acres that has been in our family for almost a century. Various sections have been fenced over the last 15-20 years - essentially none by us - until it's pretty much fully fenced now. One question I ask HF hunting opponents is "Would you quit hunting it?"

I've witnessed deer behavior in the years before, during and after the high fences going up, and deer behavior and patterns have remain unchanged. During October and most of November, I begin to question if we even have any deer on the property. My Dad used to tell me (well before HF and/or feeders on the property) not to bother hunting before Thanksgiving . But I do. Every year. I keep thinking (hoping) things will change THIS year. They don't.

With predictability, after Thanksgiving we'll start seeing some does and younger bucks, with maybe an occasional mature deer sighting. When the rut kicks in, deer literally come out of the woodwork and movement intensifies. Generally after Christmas is when you have the most predictable deer movement as normally the bucks will start grouping back together and really hitting corn as they try to replenish after the rigors of the rut.

It's the same pattern every year (with exception of this season when we just never saw a huge increase in deer movement even after the rut through the end of the season.) I'm not sure why, but I know the HF had nothing to do with that.

I realize the perception out of state is that HF hunting is "canned", but SOOO many more factors go into deer behavior before HF, especially on larger properties. The letter-writer, with his 50 acres, likely has a legitimate beef in thinking that HF has altered deer's behavior on his property, but likely so, too, do his neighbors that probably felt the need to high fence him out.
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                      I like Steven. Big Fan.
                      I own and have read all his books (even the cooking ones) numerous times.
                      He has some opinions I dont agree with, but hes allowed to have them....
                      I do enjoy watching some of his adventures...they are very Shockey-like - and thats a good thing.
                      His cooking stuff is very educational..and admittingly, gotten me to try stuff i normally wouldnt have.
                      The only real issue I have is when he does dip into his cali-life-influences and talks **** about feeder hunting, baiting, high fences, or even land ownership in other states (Texas is ALWAYS named first), is its hard to listen to , and not think back to his own writings about him purposely trespassing on Native American property to get to an area that would enable him to kill a buffalo.
                      (regardless of how bad *** that trip was...).
                      its just a bit a hypocritical to be high and ethical and moral, and then perform, write (and profit from) about what essentially is poaching.

He is easy to tune-out when he goes into those little areas...because hes predictable in his dialog- so its not a big deal.
                      Yep, it is not hard to grasp. Very rarely are you going to see eye to eye with everybody in the world. I am a big fan as well (as I have stated many times on here when it comes up.) It is a bit annoying, but it is easy to move past it. The annoying thing, like you said, isn't so much that he feels negative towards baiting, etc... but that he doesn't quite see the hypocrisy of those feelings when you look at his poaching as a kid, deer drives, and other means/methods that are very similar.

I have come to the conclusion that he doesn't hold a high opinion of Texas simply because he doesn't understand it... and lets be honest, most outsiders don't.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                        Yep, it is not hard to grasp. Very rarely are you going to see eye to eye with everybody in the world. I am a big fan as well (as I have stated many times on here when it comes up.) It is a bit annoying, but it is easy to move past it. The annoying thing, like you said, isn't so much that he feels negative towards baiting, etc... but that he doesn't quite see the hypocrisy of those feelings when you look at his poaching as a kid, deer drives, and other means/methods that are very similar.

I have come to the conclusion that he doesn't hold a high opinion of Texas simply because he doesn't understand it... and lets be honest, most outsiders don't.
                        I'd argue that he loves Texas and has hunted here multiple times, especially west Texas. He even hunted pigs at night and trapped them in Texas. I also don't think he looks down on folks who hunt feeders as much as he just has no desire to do it. He is obviously anti high fence, but he's even said theres a difference between a canned hunt and a 500 acre high fence, even if he later lumps them in together.

All that being said, I don't agree with him on everything he says (though I agree with him on most issues), but theres nothing wrong with that. He understands different folks have different ideas and that doesn't bother him.

I do think he's a great ambassador to hunting.

Comment

Mary.My comment "it was awesome" was about mhbaseball wanting to beat everyone up...I have no idea about ragin's exit,etc..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            You can do this on the 2000 acre low fence lease I'm on. Deer stay under the feeder when you walk up and climb in your bow stand.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            Two co workers were on a several thousand acre HF ranch (Greater than 10,000). They drove around all day until they saw what they wanted, hopped outta the truck, shot the animal they wanted from a herd of say 5 to 10 animals. Well the other animals that didn't get shot had to be shooed away because they were so used to people that they didn't know to run. Those same co workers have done similar hunts numerous times, and multiple ranches, so I know this isn't a one off situation.

That is what most people not from Texas think of Texas HF hunting.

It’s all about pressure like these two post show. Take Nilgai in south Texas. They see a truck they haul butt for the next county. They have darted and relocated Nilgai too high fence operations that give them space and leave them alone and within a few months you can drive right by them and they don’t even flick an ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X