Wife got in a wreak today ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbag Systems:
    Crash severity is not determined by travel speed but rather the change in velocity (deceleration) that a vehicle experiences when it makes contact with another object. There are many factors that determine if the airbag should deploy. The airbag module (black box) is typically located under the driver seat or in the center console near the CG (center of gravity) of the vehicle. Not sure of the year model but Chevy pickup modules are typically under the driver seat mounted to the floor. The module is performing several algorithms in a matter of milliseconds to determine if the crash is severe enough for deployment. Several factors such as delta-v (change in velocity), direction of force and impact location are all considered in this equation. Depending on the year model, the module will also determine factors such as seat position and determine if the crash is severe enough for deployment or if the occupant only needs the seat belt pretensioner to fire and tighten the belt slightly. Each vehicle has a deployment threshold that varies by make and model and depending on object contacted (yielding or non-yielding object). As I stated previously, earlier model Chevy pickups seem to have a higher threshold. Having reconstructed thousands of traffic accidents and downloaded hundreds of airbag modules, my first impression from the photos was a non-deployment. I have no doubt she was jostled around and sustained injuries, that was a wild ride but sometimes the airbag can be more harmful than helpful due to the force at which they deploy. Check the seat belt. If she was wearing it and it won’t retract then the pretentioner fired. If she was not wearing it, and the pretensioner fired then it should be so tight in the stored position you can play a tune with it. If you have concerns have the airbag module downloaded, it’s full of useful crash and pre-crash information. Also, if you purchased the vehicle used and it was in a previous crash, the bag or module may not have been replaced. I’ve come across that scenario in the past as well. Good luck, hope she’s feeling better.
    Last edited by bowhunting1; 02-11-2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Glad she is ok. Prayers for her

Comment

Prayers up. Hope she gets well soon!

Comment

glad she is ok. never heard of airbags being issue with changing bumpers.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunting1 View Post
            Airbag Systems:
            Crash severity is not determined by travel speed but rather the change in velocity (deceleration) that a vehicle experiences when it makes contact with another object. There are many factors that determine if the airbag should deploy. The airbag module (black box) is typically located under the driver seat or in the center console near the CG (center of gravity) of the vehicle. Not sure of the year model but Chevy pickup modules are typically under the driver seat mounted to the floor. The module is performing several algorithms in a matter of milliseconds to determine if the crash is severe enough for deployment. Several factors such as delta-v (change in velocity), direction of force and impact location are all considered in this equation. Depending on the year model, the module will also determine factors such as seat position and determine if the crash is severe enough for deployment or if the occupant only needs the seat belt pretensioner to fire and tighten the belt slightly. Each vehicle has a deployment threshold that varies by make and model and depending on object contacted (yielding or non-yielding object). As I stated previously, earlier model Chevy pickups seem to have a higher threshold. Having reconstructed thousands of traffic accidents and downloaded hundreds of airbag modules, my first impression from the photos was a non-deployment. I have no doubt she was jostled around and sustained injuries, that was a wild ride but sometimes the airbag can be more harmful than helpful due to the force at which they deploy. Check the seat belt. If she was wearing it and it won’t retract then the pretentioner fired. If she was not wearing it, and the pretensioner fired then it should be so tight in the stored position you can play a tune with it. If you have concerns have the airbag module downloaded, it’s full of useful crash and pre-crash information. Also, if you purchased the vehicle used and it was in a previous crash, the bag or module may not have been replaced. I’ve come across that scenario in the past as well. Good luck, hope she’s feeling better.

She did have the seat belt on . I’m the original owner. Bought it New in 05. Soon as I can access the truck I will check the seat belt .

Comment

Wife got in a wreak today ....

Got to see the truck today . Still don’t know how she walked away.

Comment

Wow...glad she wasn't hurt worse! Could've been bad. Prayers for her recovery...

Comment

Prayers for a quick recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                    It is for wrecks like this that I am really considering getting one of those dash cameras. Very few people have any common courtesy on the road nowadays. Prayers up for a speedy recovery for your wife.
                    X2 Glad she was ok.

Comment

Dang, looks like a pretty hard hit, thank God she is ok!!!

Comment

Praying for a quick recovery!

Comment

Glad she's okay.

Comment

Wow... glad she is okay

Comment

Prayers going up!

Comment

Prayers for your family.

Comment

Working...