Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
      Carbs are kinda important in muscle recovery if you want to see strength/endurance gains while running a deficit.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
      I agree but that is not my focus at this time. I will agree my endurance is not what it was but I'm ok with that. I actually ran 4.6 miles, on a treadmill, using the ladder method of run 1 min, walk 1 min, run 2, walk 2, run 3, walk 3 then back down the ladder. I was actually surprised I completed it. I'm 6'4 and 275. That's the most I've ran since college and that was 23 yrs ago.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
        Why do you feel you need to go from 172 down to 155? What is driving you to do that? Honestly, that is not a ton of weight to lose; and I wouldn't be in a hurry to get there unless you got a boxing or wrestling match coming up.

The reason I ask is because I have been "fit" at many different weights in my lifetime. As an endurance athlete racing road bikes, I have been 160lbs with skinny freaking arms, and thunder thighs with 3% body fat and able to race 100+ miles at 20+ mph pace. I couldn't do a pull-up, but I could sprint on a bike at 30mph+ going up hill. Getting down to my clinical ideal weight for my height of 155lbs would be stupid. I also have been 175lbs and able to do P90X workouts without much trouble; I wasn't as snappy riding in the hills, but I wasn't racing either. I had a nice upper body, could do pull-ups, etc. I considered 175lbs to be my ideal weight for general fitness and strength - a far cry from the 155 on paper that my height should be at.

Normally, what I've seen from my buddies, is if they are not hitting their ideal weights and are heavy is because they are "skinny fat." Meaning they are thin, but just don't have the metabolism to support what they want to do. They lost weight, but are weaker. A lot of them lost weight on these paleo, or non-fat, or atkins style diets too.

I am not saying you are there, but I am curious where the 155 number comes from? I know I'll never hit my ideal BMI-crap-weight of 155. I will target to get down to 175 if I am strong.

I used to do P90X and I sure don't miss it haha. I am not concerned with bulking up muscle mass anymore, or crazy cardio levels either. My hobbies are hiking, kayaking, bowhunting, gardening, and small projects around the house. The physical condition I am in allows me to comfortably do all of that. 155lbs gets my body, with my current muscle mass, to the leanness point I want to be. I'm a pretty short guy (just shy of 5'7") so it's not as light as it sounds.

Also, I have struggled with glucose crashes throughout my life due to an irregular eating schedule. I can't change the eating schedule due to my work schedule. A ketogenic diet will help stabilize my energy levels in those times I have to push my eating farther than I should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another thing, I can follow a keto diet without a problem. I don't crave carbs unless I also lose the fats. A Keto diet is all the items I have craved in every previous diet, so I know I can stick to it permanently. It is "my food" as my wife says.

Comment

Sounds like something I need to check in to . I have gained about 25 lbs in the last 3 years . I need to lose that plus another 20 . What's the best place to read about it at ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
              Sounds like something I need to check in to . I have gained about 25 lbs in the last 3 years . I need to lose that plus another 20 . What's the best place to read about it at ?

There's more videos on you tube than you can shake a stick at, if you want to get into some of the science behind it try Books- It begins with Food-Wheatbelly- Grainbrain.

Comment

Lots of info on youtube and Google. Not trying to be a smart azz but those are your best bets.

Comment

-

Sounds like something I need to check in to . I have gained about 25 lbs in the last 3 years . I need to lose that plus another 20 . What's the best place to read about it

GTS and you will be overwhelmed with reading material

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                    Lots of info on youtube and Google. Not trying to be a smart azz but those are your best bets.

Oh not at all . That gives me a good place to start.i have never heard of this before

Comment

Some of you guys throw down info on when you like to workout. Morning, mid day, night? When is the optimal time? I have done some research and seen arguments for all of it. What say you guys?

Comment

Oh not at all . That gives me a good place to start.i have never heard of this before

Some of the people I follow on youtube with good info on keto are

Joe Rogan - very pro keto and he's an avid hunter
                        Jason Wittrock - a sponsored athlete in the fitness category and good info.
                        Goodybeats - he's a kid from San Marcos very positive.
                        Primal Edge Health - mellow expat living in Ecuador, I think, with solid foundation on keto. He's very mellow and hippish but has good content.
                        Last edited by icetrauma; 03-20-2017, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
                          Some of you guys throw down info on when you like to workout. Morning, mid day, night? When is the optimal time? I have done some research and seen arguments for all of it. What say you guys?
                          I work nights and for me, it all depends on how I feel. I prefer lifting after work because I have fuel in my tank. It mostly depends on my sleep pattern. Some days I'm to tired to hit the gym after work and I wake up around 1430 and do a fasted workout or cardio. I never do lower body without some sort of fuel/food on board unless it's in the am when I'm off the previous day.

Edit....I really don't pay that much attention as when the best time is to train stuff. My best advice is to listen to your body. It'll tell you when it's time to go. Yeah, sometimes you're tired and dragging but can still hit it. You just have to know when a rest day is needed.
                          Last edited by icetrauma; 03-20-2017, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Fiancé and I started just after New Years with the 28 day meal plans from Ruled.me webpage. She has lost 18 lbs and shortened her 5k time and I have lost 30 lbs and short the time it takes to walk 3-4 miles we try to get our track time 2-3 times a week. Easiest way I have ever found to lose weight eating great food. We use more seasoning than I ever knew existed. Bulletproof coffee is my mainstay breakfast every day now.
                            She has about 10-15 more she wants to lose and I have 50 more. I can see us easily doing so by the end of the year.

Comment

I have been maintaining for a few months. I love eating low carb. I had type 2 diabetes, but diet has gotten me off medicine.

I have 2 sisters in a "keto study" they are a year into a 2 year study. 1 has lost 80+ lbs and the other 66. They are off all their medicine(blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol)

Comment

If only I could drink coffee....
                                Can't stand the bitterness.

Comment

Working...
                                X