Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

The wife and I are starting today, and I was checking to see if anyone else was on it, maybe get some good recipes or pointers.

For those of you that don't know what a ketogenic diet is,
    It is designed to break your body's use of glucose and suppress insulin production. This causes your body to live off of ketones instead of glucose, and ketones are pulled directly from fat.
    Supposed to end up with longer lasting energy, body fat reduction, and fewer cravings throughout the day.

The diet is typically structured about
    70% fat
    25% protein
    5% carbs

Supposedly the first few weeks are a little rough to get through as your body weans itself off of living from blood sugar, but after that it is supposed to be pretty easy as diets go.

I'm 172.8 today, and goal is 155. Not doing it quickly, just ending up there at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search "Keto" on YouTube and you will find some really good stuff. You can make bread from protein powder and homemade bullet proof coffee is the best.

Comment

I lost 25 lbs last year on keto and I've been back on the last 5 wks and I'm down 10 lbs since then. I've been maintaining but now it's time to start loosing again. You still need to eat at a defecate. The initial entry can be rough until you become fat adapted. Grind through it, get plenty of salt, yes salting your food is ok. The pink salt is what I use. Drink plenty of water. Chicken broth can helps with this. Bone broth also helps with the Keto Flu as they call it. I also take fiber, potassium, magnesium and Vitamin D3 supplements. My body feels much better on keto than a traditional low fat diet. Also, keep a log of what you eat and track your macros. Don't forget healthy fats as well. If you have any questions or need some help shoot me a pm.

Comment

Tons of recipes online. It's the new rage so a ton of info available. I like that I can have avocados and bacon

Comment

Yep, google and youtube will be the easiest. Keto has always been the most effective diet for myself and clients. I shift between straight keto, carb cycling, low carb, and macros.

The first few weeks are the toughest. Especially if you usually intake a lot of carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
            Bone broth also helps with the Keto Flu as they call it.
            Also, keep a log of what you eat and track your macros. Don't forget healthy fats as well.
            If you have any questions or need some help shoot me a pm.

Thanks for the heads up on the bone broth, I hadn't heard of that remedy.

I'm using an app called "My Fitness Pal" to track calories and macros, and it logs all the previous days like a diary. I can even just scan the barcode and add it to my day, build recipes and portion them out, adjust macro goals etc... I think that will help tremendously.

And I will definitely shoot you a PM if I have questions or issues, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
              Tons of recipes online. It's the new rage so a ton of info available. I like that I can have avocados and bacon

I know, breakfast this morning was 3 eggs, 28g of cheese and 4 thick slices of bacon.

Being able to eat cheese, whipped cream (minus sugar), ranch, butter, bacon, and sausage every day doesn't feel like I'm on a diet.

Comment

Sometimes my fitness pal can be misleading on caloric value of food because people can make adjustments as needed. It's good for calorie counting. I also use fat secret and calorie king to help with looking up a foods caloric value. Keto is fun and easy once you get the hang of it. Eating out is also pretty easy to do as well. You'll find yourself at times having to make yourself eat to meet your daily macros because you will feel full and not hungry throughout the day. Sometimes, I will not eat for 3-4 hrs after I wake because I'm just not hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                  I know, breakfast this morning was 3 eggs, 28g of cheese and 4 thick slices of bacon.

Being able to eat cheese, whipped cream (minus sugar), ranch, butter, bacon, and sausage every day doesn't feel like I'm on a diet.

Salad dressing can add up real quick on the carbs so, measure it out and be careful. I find that blue cheese has less carbs than ranch. Yeah, it's rough with bacon, eggs, cheese, sausage, salami, pepperoni and steak is on your eating plan.

Comment

You'll know your swapping over when you get the "keto flu" just tough it out and try and get plently of sleep that day. I just went from 188 to 164 in about 2.5 months with working out every day and eating every 2-3 hours.

Stay with it, it sucks at 1st with the keto flu being the worst part but after that it's all good, plus who doesn't like a diet that includes BACON

Comment

Sometimes, I will not eat for 3-4 hrs after I wake because I'm just not hungry.

Salad dressing can add up real quick on the carbs so, measure it out and be careful.

Not eating for 3-4 hours after waking has been my natural cycle for about half my life. I never have been able to eat early.

And I typically do dressings and condiments are done pretty sparingly. About the heaviest condiment I use is mustard... everything else is just enough to taste. 2 or 3 net grams of carbs total is about what my preferred salad is with ranch.

Comment

I lost 25 lbs last year on keto and I've been back on the last 5 wks and I'm down 10 lbs since then. I've been maintaining but now it's time to start loosing again. You still need to eat at a defecate. The initial entry can be rough until you become fat adapted. Grind through it, get plenty of salt, yes salting your food is ok. The pink salt is what I use. Drink plenty of water. Chicken broth can helps with this. Bone broth also helps with the Keto Flu as they call it. I also take fiber, potassium, magnesium and Vitamin D3 supplements. My body feels much better on keto than a traditional low fat diet. Also, keep a log of what you eat and track your macros. Don't forget healthy fats as well. If you have any questions or need some help shoot me a pm.
                        This is one of the best misspellings I've seen on here, I tried really hard to figure out what you meant and realized you misspelled deficit, then laughed out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter83 View Post
                          This is one of the best misspellings I've seen on here, I tried really hard to figure out what you meant and realized you misspelled deficit, then laughed out loud.
                          Fits in pretty good with the topic though!

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                            Not eating for 3-4 hours after waking has been my natural cycle for about half my life. I never have been able to eat early.

And I typically do dressings and condiments are done pretty sparingly. About the heaviest condiment I use is mustard... everything else is just enough to taste. 2 or 3 net grams of carbs total is about what my preferred salad is with ranch.

Sounds like you have a good handle on it. A tip I'm finding out is not not exclude lean meats like chicken and turkey. That just means you can eat more volume on your fats to help fill you up if you're feeling really hungry.

Originally posted by txhunter83 View Post
                            Well that didn't come out like I planned it.

Please preworkout kick in. 1st day off when working on nights can be rough.

Comment

Diets wont last...they are temporary

Comment

Working...
                              X