Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Libertarians & Conservatives

What are the differences?

They both claim to want small government.

They both claim to want less government intervention.

They both would like a fiscally responsible government. Or at least that's what they both say, in reality we don't have a fiscally responsible government.

For me, that is where most common beliefs end and and differences begin.

Libertarians are really for a less intrusive, smaller government.

This includes social issues. For example same sex marriage & abortion:

From LP.ORG

So for me, being a libertarian truly means a less intrusive government and smaller government. Personal freedoms and responsibilities.

Thoughts?

Once religion enters this post......it is over![emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Think of it this way

Neither side of left or right wants to believe they creep into the authoritarian quadrant, but any time legislation imposes on the personal freedom of the citizen, that hammer and sickle gets a little closer.

Regarding yesterday's hoopla on libertarianism the difference on social issues is that libertarianism is hands off and liberalism is imposed.

Also notice that the libertarian quadrant extends left and right but not to the extent that it gets into wacknuts territory. Far right and far left should actually be included in the authoritarian block since those folks are unwilling to consider a government that would even entertain the thought of something different than imposing that particular agenda.

If you averaged the plot of all the issues on the chart I would be right around the tablets in the Statue of Liberty's hand.

Comment

Libertarianism= Political Philosophy
        Conservatism and Liberalism = Social/Moral Philosophy

They are not mutually exclusive. There are Conservative Libertarians and there are Liberal Libertarians.

Comment

Is it too early for popcorn?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
            Libertarianism= Political Philosophy

Conservatism and Liberalism = Social/Moral Philosophy

They are not mutually exclusive. There are Conservative Libertarians and there are Liberal Libertarians.

our social and moral philosophies are deeply intertwined with our political parties.

And I understand what you say about conservative and a liberal libertarians, but

As a conservative libertarian how do you reconcile the libertarians party stance on abortion and same-sex marriage?

Comment

Let me also add, the Libertarian party is a political party with lots of ideals that are not shared by most Conservative Libertarians as they are Liberal Libertarians, or as on txpitdogs chart they are on the very left side of the statue.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                Once religion enters this post......it is over![emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
                Agreed but you can't answer his question without it. Either way I am not playing along he already knows the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by XBowHunter View Post
                  our social and moral philosophies are deeply intertwined with our political parties.

And I understand what you say about conservative and a liberal libertarians, but

As a conservative libertarian how do you reconcile the libertarians party stance on abortion and same-sex marriage?
                  The party doesn't really address it. Its really just a cop out for abortion, saying both sides have good arguments and generally we don't like govt interference. Well guess what, abortion works solely on govt interference in the form of Roe v Wade. As a conservative Libertarian I see it as a states rights issue. Its not the federal govts business. If the majority of the people in a certain state say it should be illegal than in a democratic society it should be. In a state where the majority think it should be legal than it should be legal there. Live in which state you choose to, another casualty of Roe v Wade besides the children being killed is that the Bill of Rights was attacked. The 10th amendment was squashed with that ruling.

Same sex marriage is easy. It should be allowed 100 percent, no liberty given to one group should ever be denied to another. What someone else wishes to do that doesn't affect my liberties is none of my business and it certainly isn't the governments business.

Comment

The party doesn't really address it. Its really just a cop out for abortion, saying both sides have good arguments and generally we don't like govt interference. Well guess what, abortion works solely on govt interference in the form of Roe v Wade. As a conservative Libertarian I see it as a states rights issue. Its not the federal govts business. If the majority of the people in a certain state say it should be illegal than in a democratic society it should be. In a state where the majority think it should be legal than it should be legal there. Live in which state you choose to, another casualty of Roe v Wade besides the children being killed is that the Bill of Rights was attacked. The 10th amendment was squashed with that ruling.

Same sex marriage is easy. It should be allowed 100 percent, no liberty given to one group should ever be denied to another. What someone else wishes to do that doesn't affect my liberties is none of my business and it certainly isn't the governments business.

With your plan of states rights we no longer would be the united states. Some very hot issues must be addressed by the federal government unfortunately.

I mean, your states rights issue can be taken right down to the municipality level. Why not designate abortion to the cities?

The official Libertarian party platform is it's not the governments business at any level, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                      Is it too early for popcorn?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Never, lol

Comment

The Libertarian party is also against the death penalty [emoji33]

Comment

With your plan of states rights we no longer would be the united states. Some very hot issues must be addressed by the federal government unfortunately.

States rights are outlined in the Bill of Rights specifically the 10th amendment to the constitution. I have no idea how you are getting to that by following the constitution of the US we wouldn't be the US.
                          I mean, your states rights issue can be taken right down to the municipality level. Why not designate abortion to the cities?

No they cannot, all municipalities/parishes/counties/cities derive their authority from the State govt, they operate under state law. They on their own can only enact "ordinances" not laws. When someone says states rights that is just what they are saying, the states as in the states that make up the United States of America, there are 50 of them.

The official Libertarian party platform is it's not the governments business at any level, sorry.

So then repeal Roe v Wade if it wasn't the govts business and let the people in each state decide what they want to do. Its called personal freedom.

Comment

Dumping an issue like abortion to "states rights" is a cop out. It's better than federal control but moral issues like this should not be legislated at all. Morality is an individual choice unless the issue infringes on another's rights. Obviously murder infringes on the victims right to life and if a fetus has rights, abortion is murder. Since science cannot answer the question of when a fetus becomes a person with rights, abortion must default to a moral decision made by the two individuals who created the fetus - not a government at any level.

Comment

The Libertarian party is also against the death penalty [emoji33]

I think we can all agree on 1.9 though!

Comment

Working...
                              X