No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This 6pt CULL has had the same frame for 2 years now, except he is heavier and taller now. I guessed him last year at 3.5yrs last year, which will put him at 4.5yrs this year:

My thoughts have always been to shoot a buck like the one above (6pt) especially if he has had a similar type rack several years prior and he is around 4yrs before shooting a post mature 10pt because I would rather the 10pt spread his genes vs the 6pt. I'm not saying this is the correct way to do it, it's just been what I've been taught and what I've read from various articles. As far as the older bucks like the old 10pt that is being described above (post mature), we let other people/friends shoot these types of bucks if they help us do work around the ranch. I really enjoy hearing everybody's opinions. if you think I'm not aging a buck correctly, please let me know what you think, you will not hurt my feelings. That's why I started this thread was to get everyone's opinions and ideas.

Comment

Here is a picture of the 6pt above during the 2013-14 season, which I thought he was 2.5yrs:

Comment

I don't like to shoot deer before 4.5 either, but a 3.5 year old basket 6 point that I had history with would be a dead deer walking. The key is knowing your deer herd and it sounds like you do and have history with the different bucks. If it was my first year on a ranch I'd be hesitant to cull anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
          This 6pt CULL has had the same frame for 2 years now, except he is heavier and taller now. I guessed him last year at 3.5yrs last year, which will put him at 4.5yrs this year:

My thoughts have always been to shoot a buck like the one above (6pt) especially if he has had a similar type rack several years prior and he is around 4yrs before shooting a post mature 10pt because I would rather the 10pt spread his genes vs the 6pt. I'm not saying this is the correct way to do it, it's just been what I've been taught and what I've read from various articles. As far as the older bucks like the old 10pt that is being described above (post mature), we let other people/friends shoot these types of bucks if they help us do work around the ranch. I really enjoy hearing everybody's opinions. if you think I'm not aging a buck correctly, please let me know what you think, you will not hurt my feelings. That's why I started this thread was to get everyone's opinions and ideas.
          This is my thinking to a T

Comment

Do you pull your protein in Sept? Bet your deer spread back out once corn it fired up. Being Low fence that means they probably leave you. I would keep the protein going into the season if possible. Awesome looking ranch. Hope you pick up the additional acerage..

Comment

Sweet ranch! Yall are doing all the right things!! Keep it up

Comment

We feed our 1,000lb trough feeder year round, which is in the middle of our property. We convert our Krivoman feeders from protein to corn in late September.

Comment

We also feed a corn/soybean mix and spread protein over of our interior roads every time we are out there. We are trying to feed the deer that get shorted at the feeders. We have a protein feeder per 85 acres right now. I'm hoping a fall food plot this year will help provide additional forage through the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
                    I don't like to shoot deer before 4.5 either, but a 3.5 year old basket 6 point that I had history with would be a dead deer walking. The key is knowing your deer herd and it sounds like you do and have history with the different bucks. If it was my first year on a ranch I'd be hesitant to cull anything.
                    I do this on ALL 6 pt deer over 3.5 as well. In my thinking though if the post mature deer are running off your prime deer it's a mistake as well. But this is my opinion.

I believe you are correct as far as which one you want breeding (10 over 6)

but I would Bust both or have someone bust both.

As far as aging in my opinion you would know best, but I tend to guess older ages or put deer older than most do. I think you are right on with aging OP.

Comment

We built a gun blind last year with LP SmartSide Panels and they work great. I will not use plywood ever again. We are building two more of these same type of blinds. We used EZ Tower Brackets and the tinted glass windows that seal everything up.

Comment

Awesome place brother!!

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                          Do you pull your protein in Sept? Bet your deer spread back out once corn it fired up. Being Low fence that means they probably leave you. I would keep the protein going into the season if possible. Awesome looking ranch. Hope you pick up the additional acerage..
                          Do you feed protein year-round? We normally stop feeding protein around the end of September and replace the tubes on our Krivomann feeders with spinners, but we normally keep a 1,000lb protein feeder running all year as well as a 300lb tube protein feeder by the house going year round as well. We do this to help save $$ bc protein is so expensive and also to help make the deer less nocturnal. Do you think by stopping the protein feed and replacing with corn will cause deer to move and cause them to not be as big the following year? I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Comment

in your case I would have some sort of proteingoing at least into October. Hill Country ranches you need to have your deer still on a summer pattern during bow season starts if you plan on killing the big deer.

Comment

Maybe I'll keep a couple of the krivoman feeders going with protein until late October and hunt them that way during bow season. I'm always up to try new things to increase our odds at these mature bucks.

Comment

Thats a beautiful place. Looks like yall have spent alot of time and money on it already. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
                                X