Crossbows and 3D tournaments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for your response.
    We use McKenzie and Delta targets too. Do they actually hold up to the xbows as far as you can tell?
    The local archery shop only sold a handful last year so I doubt we will have enough interest to really make it worth while but you never know....

Do you get any complaints from the club members about allowing the xbows?

Originally posted by hubbace View Post
    We addressed this at Cowtown a year or so ago cause we had some interest. Joe Crawford contacted the target manufactures we use, Mckenzie for 3d and delta for bags, and we were told both will hold up the same as the faster compounds and xbows have about the same kinetic energy. We made a club decision to alloe them at club shoots as a fun shoot and would consider adding a class if we had enough interest, which we have not had as of yet. We do stress safe shooting practices when introducing all xbow folks as for not loading and cocking until it is their turn to fire at a target, keeping it pointed down range, etc. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathie View Post
      .... our local archery shop charges a lot more for crossbow to shoot on their range because they are harder on the targets .......
      I believe this is just a way to get more money from them. The bolts are shorter and look like they go deeper, but in reality, not any worse than compounds, as you already said.

Originally posted by hubbace View Post
      We addressed this at Cowtown a year or so ago cause we had some interest. Joe Crawford contacted the target manufactures we use, Mckenzie for 3d and delta for bags, and we were told both will hold up the same as the faster compounds and xbows have about the same kinetic energy. We made a club decision to alloe them at club shoots as a fun shoot and would consider adding a class if we had enough interest, which we have not had as of yet. We do stress safe shooting practices when introducing all xbow folks as for not loading and cocking until it is their turn to fire at a target, keeping it pointed down range, etc. Hope this helps.
      Glad to see this. Every time I mention crossbows at our range you'd think they are going to tar and feather me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathie View Post
        Thank you for your response.
        We use McKenzie and Delta targets too. Do they actually hold up to the xbows as far as you can tell?
        The local archery shop only sold a handful last year so I doubt we will have enough interest to really make it worth while but you never know....

Do you get any complaints from the club members about allowing the xbows?
        Not really, but like I mentioned we have not had many come out. I think we had one club shoot last year someone did, had a few comments about his bolts pulling hard, but he was not using any arrow lube. We could not tell any difference in use during that shoot, any more wear than regular bows.

Comment

Awesome, thank you!

Comment

Archers For Christ Has a Crossbow Class, we had 3 regs and all have had some sort of health issues here lately

Targets hold up just fine

People have their own opinions but we try to have a Class for everyone

No decrease in attendance at all

Comment

The Tyler club has a croosbow class too, but no one has ever shot in it.

Comment

Saltgrass Archery Club is not opposed to a cross bow class.

The only problem I can think of is setting up shots that have the distance to make for a challenging shot for a crossbow.

Comment

Hi Cathie,
                  The Austin Archery Club does not allow crossbows, simply a liability issue. They are a weapon but so easy to learn and simple to use a child can do it. And that is the problem.

We have had reports of people buying crossbows, loading them and handing it to their children. Crossbows shoot just like a gun, and without proper training and control are just as dangerous.

Until we can find some way to control the risk the board decided to just not allow crossbows on the property.

Just for the record - I own and shoot crossbows in tournaments. I also compete against crossbows with longbows and recurves. Shooting Barebow there is no advantage.

I wish there was someway to control the risk because crossbows are a part of archery's history, and the new compound crossbows are works of art.

Anyone that has an idea on how to control the risk please let us know.

Have fun.

Don Ferguson

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
                    The Tyler club has a croosbow class too, but no one has ever shot in it.
                    I'm an old fart......
                    I would hate to get caught behind a group of 5 that could not even start to crank there X-bow up until they were at the stake.

I go to the 3-D shoots to shoot not watch folks work on their bows

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                      I'm an old fart......
                      I would hate to get caught behind a group of 5 that could not even start to crank there X-bow up until they were at the stake.

I go to the 3-D shoots to shoot not watch folks work on their bows
                      You'd be surprised Buff. I can almost bet you even money, I can cock and load an arrow using my cocking rope at the stake and get a shot off within the time allowed by ASA, which is a challenge for some open shooters with tension releases. :-)

Comment

I am no expert by any means (actually never been to a 3D tourney) but as long as the crossbow shooters were in their own class and follow all formerly mentioned safety guidelines, they should be able to have their own class.

Comment

We do not allow crossbows at Concho Valley Archery
                          This policy was established by a club vote.
                          The crossbows will do more damage on 3d targets and bag targets
                          See you Saturday

Comment

Brazos County Archery Club recently voted to allow crossbows. I can't quote the rules off hand, but I believe they are posted on the club's website.

Comment

There has been a crossbow class at ASA Pro/Am events for the last several years. Although the crossbow class at the Pro/Ams is not a large class everything has worked flawlessly. Mike Tyrell, ASA president and owner, reported that there does not appear to be any more wear on the targets from a crossbow bolt than an arrow shot from a compound. Here are the ASA crossbow rules.

Crossbow 40 yards, 330 FPS, 1/2 Known/1/2 Unknown

Crossbows must be in sound working condition with a functioning safety, and maintained in compliance with the manufacturer’s specifications. Scopes up to 6x power may be used and may be equipped with lines or mill dots, but no light or image may be projected and there may be no range finding capability. Except as may be required due to an approved medical exemption, crossbows may only be shot in a standing position and the use of any device or outside agency (including wrapping the sling around the arm, hooked butt-plates, palm rests, stabilizer bars or a prop stick) that allows the mass weight of the bow to be relieved from either arm or to steady the bow is prohibited, but the use of the forward elbow against the ribcage or side is permitted. Bolts must be identical in size and weight with a minimum of three (3) vanes. Crossbows may only be cocked and loaded while the shooter is at the stake, and while loaded it must remain pointed down range at all times.

We have not ever had any crossbow competitors at an Texas ASA event although I have had some calls from shooters showing an interest to compete. As I stated in an email to all Texas ASA clubs earlier this year.....If a crossbow competitor does show up at an ASA sanctioned event the club must let them compete. All ASA classes must be included in an ASA sanctioned event.

Comment

This is a portion of what was sent out to BCAC members:

Our club has elected to use ASA rules and guidelines for the safe use of crossbows. ASA has had a crossbow class for several years and we respect their experience and expertise in this area.

First, crossbows must not exceed the speed limit of 330 feet per second and must shoot from at least the 40 yard stake. We will chronograph all crossbow shooters at every shoot!

Second rule - like shooting any bow - crossbows cannot be loaded with a bolt until the shooter is on the stake and it cannot be drawn until the shooter is ready to shoot at the target. This is not any different than any other bow shooter.

Third - the crossbow must be pointed downrange at all times. Again, this is no different than any other bow shooter.

Forth - Except as may be required due to an approved medical exemption, crossbows may only be shot in a standing position and the use of any device or outside agency (including wrapping the sling around the arm, hooked butt-plates, palm rests, stabilizer bars or a prop stick) that allows the mass weight of the bow to be relieved from either arm or to steady the bow is prohibited, but the use of the forward elbow against the ribcage or side is permitted. This means that a child or anyone else who cannot lift the crossbow cannot shoot it. We don't allow bow shooters to support the bow in any fashion either, so it is the same rule.

Comment

Working...
                                X