Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do YOU cut your carbon arrows to length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do YOU cut your carbon arrows to length?

I'm tired of having to get my arrows cut to length at Gander Mtn etc. They either dont have them, the guy that knows how to do it isn't there etc. I'm a do it yourself kinda guy anyway ( and a cheapskate). I'm ordering shafts from Cabelas ( my favorite outdoor place ) and was going to buy an arrow saw but thought that I may be able to save $114 by using my abrasive chop saw. I figured I could set up a stop to control length and set the arrow shaft in v blocks. I will square the ends with a G5 ASD. I practiced on a used broken shaft and it worked perfectly. What do you think? Is there anyone else that has done this? anybody have a better idea?

Apple arrow saw.

DIY section:

Last edited by texag93; 06-21-2009, 11:01 AM.

Comment

I have done that in the past, works ok.... But these days I use a arrow saw!!

Comment

I've never tried that. I just went ahead and spent the money for the Apple arrow saw. IMO, money spent on tools that allow you work on your own archery gear is money well spent.

Comment

Arrow saw and if you have the lenght you need (an old arrow), take the tip out, use a marker and mark the new arrows. Make sure you spin the arrow while cutting. Not hard, you can do it. Make sure to smooth off the end of the arrow when you finished.

Comment

harbor freight sells this mini-saw with ceramic blades for $25 ..... sometimes on sale for < $20

works like a champ as I use this setup to trim/cut rifle brass for my wildcat cartridges

you could DIY and make a arrow saw real easy

Comment

You can get an Apple arrow saw for about 100 bucks at Bowhunters Superstore . com

Comment

I use one of these, believe it or not
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post

How do you keep it from splitering your arrow??

Comment

For carbon arrows ?

Comment

Originally posted by SPUD View Post
                      How do you keep it from splitering your arrow??
                      I just apply pressure slowly and twist it several times before adding more pressure. I promise you if you try it you will be satisfied.
                      I am a poor/tight wad hunter. I happen to have one of these in my tool box and tried it one day. used it ever since.

Comment

I just apply pressure slowly and twist it several times before adding more pressure. I promise you if you try it you will be satisfied.
                        I am a poor/tight wad hunter. I happen to have one of these in my tool box and tried it one day. used it ever since.

I would've never thought it. Always thought you need some sort of high speed saw to cut carbon arrows. I'll have to dig one out my tool box and try it.

Comment

try it and let me know how it works for you. But take it slow

Comment

Originally posted by BOHTR View Post
                            For carbon arrows ?
                            yep

Comment

I used a Dremel tool before

Comment

Working...
                              X