Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
    So when/how do I find out which unit I'll be in?

Was wondering the same. Maybe we should call Refuge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
      Yeah, good idea, let me know if you do and what they say!
      What dates did you get?

Comment

Which of you guys will be there Dec 7-9th?

Comment

So when/how do I find out which unit I'll be in?
          Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post

If memory serves, when kiddo/wife drew last year they sent them a permit with the unit number after a few weeks. It took a while, we kept asking the same question.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
            If memory serves, when kiddo/wife drew last year they sent them a permit with the unit number after a few weeks. It took a while, we kept asking the same question.
            Thanks!

Comment

Yeah, good idea, let me know if you do and what they say!

What dates did you get?

I’m in for Nov 29 - Dec 2

Comment

I got a permit for December 7th-9th.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldsouth View Post
                  I got a permit for December 7th-9th.
                  Awesome, I will see you there. I will be the ugly one.

Comment

I talked to Lonnie the Game Warden yesterday and he said TPWD will send out the Spots around October 5th for all 4 hunts. We were drawn in the youth catagory for November 9-11.

Comment

Originally posted by fishin' soldier View Post
                      I talked to Lonnie the Game Warden yesterday and he said TPWD will send out the Spots around October 5th for all 4 hunts. We were drawn in the youth catagory for November 9-11.
                      Awesome! Thanks for the info! I’ll be there the week after your youth kills 2 monster bucks, 3 does and a turkey.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I’ll be there the week after your youth kills 2 monster bucks, 3 does and a turkey.
                        Just give us one monster buck and we will leave some for the rest of yall!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Deal

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            Thanks for this--had the same question myself. My father and I were selected for Nov 16-18. This will be only our second public hunt (well, other than dove that we have gotten drawn for three years in a row!), so the more info I can glean from here the better.

I'm curious what everyone is thinking re: scouting. It appears that we are permitted to scout our designated hunt areas on November 3-8, 15, 29, and December 6 and won't even need to check in and out at HQ. Honestly, I'd prefer to do my scouting further in advance rather than the day before the hunt so I'm probably going to skip out on my regular opening weekend activities (or maybe just cut them shorter than usual) and try to get some scouting in at the Balcones on the 3rd or 4th. Anyone else thinking similarly?

Finally, as far as the mediocre hunting there the past few years goes, I'm personally not feeling like it should be too much of a downer for those of us drawn this year. Fair chase hunting has been pretty lousy (fewer good bucks, less overall animal movement) the last couple of years on the property I hunt, and I've heard similar from others on their properties. I've chalked much of that up to the fact that animals that would've been at full maturity for the past 2-3 seasons were all coming out of the mid-drought fawn classes (2010-2012). I am anticipating that the quantity/quality of animals fawned post drought (2013 on) are going to be more visible this year and for the next couple of years. Maybe this is all wishful thinking, but if so, I'll just be hunting the Balcones Canyonlands with my rose-colored glasses on!

Comment

Son and I will be out Nov 16-18. I plan on scouting first opportunity.

Comment

I purchased my permit for Dec 7-9. hope to meet some of you guys out there and share stories.

Comment

Working...
                                X