What type of snake is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whakm View Post
    Hognose for sure. Got one about 20 feet down the hall in my son's room. Cool little snakes. They flatten their necks out to look more threatening to predetors. They will also play dead if you mess with them. They roll onto thier backs. Be careful though, they are venimous. Fangs are in the back of thier mouths like corral snakes. They eat frogs in the wild but we feed ours baby mice. That reminds me, I gotta run to the pet store today
    never heard that before

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
      Grew up in SE Missouri and we had hognoses around too. I think my mom and grandparents called them hoop snakes. The legend was that they would take their tail in their mouth and roll down a hill, then when they got to you, they'd let go of the tail and "sting" you with it. So, if you saw one, the best defense was to get up slope as they couldn't roll uphill. Also had "blue racers" which were common black snakes and the legend on them was that they would chase you if you got too close--
      Down hear the older generation called the (politically correct) "african american chasers"

Comment

Originally posted by texaset View Post
        That would be a coach whip I think is what your Grandparents were talking about . Hog nose , Speadin Adder because of the way they spread out

I believe someone posted a photo of a coach whip on here not too long ago. That and the hog nose are interesting looking snakes. And although it is tough for me to say Good ones

Thanks for the post

Comment

Good snake right there.
          My grandpa called em a Spreadinadder also

They also give off a strong stinky odor when agitated.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
            Yep, hognose. I used to play with those. I got sent to the principal's office when I was in the 5th grade for pulling one of those out of the pocket of my ToughSkins to show a girl. I thought she'd like it, but instead she screamed quite loud-and long, and the teacher wasn't too happy either.
            Reminds me of me. In the 7th grade I produced a Tarantula out of my shirt pocket and a girl behind me screamed and my teacher, Ol Lady Carter turned around and saw it crawling over my shoulder. She fainted and fell back and hit her head on the blackboard chalk rail and broke it off. The principal was just outside and came in and took me to the office where he proceeded to beat my butt with his oak bed slat paddle. I also got detention hall every day after school for the rest of the school year. I still have not figured out why I didn't get a whoopin from my dad when I got home because the rule was, If you got a paddling at school, you got another one when you got home and you best not do away with the note that got sent home with you or it was twice as bad.

Comment

Copperheadedwaterrattler I think.

Comment

Hognose is what I think. I`ve only saw one and it was just like that.

Comment

Hognoses are not poisonous--

Comment

cobra

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                      Hognoses are not poisonous--
                      Didn't say they were piosonous. I was told when we got him (and have been told several times since then) that they have fangs in the back of their mouths that do inject a venom that helps emobolize their prey. It's not anything that would hurt you but if you did get bit on the finger or thumb it would kinda numb it for a while. Anyway that's what I was told. I've had ours for about 10 years now and never been bit

Comment

SORRY! my bad. They do not inject venom. It is their saliva that is believed to be toxic. Toxic, venomous...tomAto..tomato. Anyway, sorry for the wrong info.

Comment

Hognose snakes (Heterodon) are rear-fanged and technically not venomous, but the saliva they excrete is considered toxic to prey but not considered to be dangerous to humans and they will never bite in defense (as the only way to get bitten by a hognose snake is to smell like their prey

Comment

From the Florida Museum of Natural History
                            Scientific name "Heterodon Platirhinos"
                            Comments: HARMLESS (Non-Venemous).

Heterodon means "different tooth," which refers to the enlarged teeth on the rear of the upper jaw. These teeth inject a mild venom into its prey, and also serve to pop inflated toads like a balloon to enable swallowing. They use their blunt nose to search through leaf litter and soil for prey.

Adults mainly eat toads, but will sometimes eat other frogs, insects, and invertebrates. Juveniles eat small frogs and toads, insects, lizards, and small snakes.

It lays eggs. Breeding takes place in both the spring and fall. Males often follow the female around for several days prior to courtship and copulation. They lay between 4-61 whitish, thin shelled, leathery eggs 1.25 inches (3.2 cm) long. Eggs are deposited in a moist sandy, shallow hole, or under debris, and hatch in 39-65 days. Hatchlings are 6.5-9.5 inches (16-24 cm).

The Hognose Snake is renowned for its "death feigning" behavior. When threatened, it flattens its head and neck and hisses loudly. It may strike, but only with its mouth closed. If it is further harassed, it will flip on its back and convulse for a short period and may defecate and regurgitate its food. It will then remain motionless with its belly up, mouth open, and tongue hanging out. It may play dead for several minutes before cautiously turning over, looking around to see if it is safe before crawling away.

Flattening its head and hissing when it is frightened gave rise to two of the local names used for this snake. Florida crackers (native Floridians) call the banded form of the Hognose Snake a "Puff Adder" and correctly believe it to be harmless. However, the black form of the Hognose Snake is called a "Spreading Adder" and is wrongly believed to be deadly. Both color forms of the Eastern Hognose Snake are harmless to humans. However, humans that are allergic to its small amount of venom have been known to produce local swelling, but no human death has ever occurred.

Another old myth says that the Hognose Snake can mix venom with its breath and is thus able to kill a person from a distance of twenty-five feet. In truth, its breath is harmless.

Comment

nice pic.. new to me..

Comment

Definitely hognose.

Comment

Working...
                                X