No announcement yet.

20 Point buck killed in East Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impressive my friend!!! Just goes to show, there are big bucks in East Texas, and I for one, believe there are a lot more out there. Those old boys don't show their faces very often, and to see him in daylight hours and get a shot off, just awesome!! Congrats!!

Comment

Originally posted by afishinman14 View Post
      Yeah... I'm gonna need more details! More story! And a tale of the tape!

Okay for those who want to know a little more about the story, It all started in early August when i was doing some scouting on a place in Rains county. When i go to hang a new set i use common sense and I know you've probably all have heard "look for the 3 things cover, food, and water" then i try to determine which of the 3 is the lesser. For me it was water so i got within a hundred yards of water but in a place that still had cover. Before i hung my set i decided to put a couple of cameras up. Make note i had no idea this buck was running around out there. The land owner that lets me hunt doesn't allow feeders because of the hog problem, and i don't blame its definitely a problem out there, We don't protein feed or anything like that either for those who were wondering. So back to the story i poured about a 1/2 bag of corn on the ground just to see if there were any bucks hanging in the area. I saw lots of deer sign so i was anxious to get back and check my camera. After about 2 weeks i made it back in there and pulled my card, little did i know i was about to see i giant on my camera. When i got home my buddy Wade happened to stop by while i was in the process of going through pics....AND BAM! there he was. I think all we did was laugh about it because it seriously didnt feel like real life. I thought someone was playing a joke on me. Lol Then i told him if he told anyone i would probably have to kill him too. lol To fast fwd a little bit opening day was here and i couldn't wait to get into the stand. I had a good idea what direction i thought he would be coming from but that first morning I only saw one buck. Sunday morning just barely after daylight i caught some movement through the woods. As the deer got closer i was trying to determine if it was my buck or not. Sad thing was they were at 40 yards and i couldn't tell anything about them because there was just too much brush and trees in the way. I checked the wind and it was perfect next thing you know the deer started acting funny so i checked it again and sure enough the wind was swirling right at them. At that point i still didn't know if it was him or not but i just had this gut feeling it was then both bucks turned and walked away and there was no mistaken it was the buck i had been hunting and was gone. I was sick, i knew it was a slim shot i would even see the deer much less have him in bow range and let him get away from me with out a shot. I guess to help cope with the situation i just set in my stand and started laughing about it and said it just not my time for this buck. I packed up an 2 hrs later and went home. Monday rolled around and you have no idea how bad i wanted to call in to work but i decided the best thing to do was let the woods rest and try to come back on Wednesday. So thats what i did. I woke up, showered, scented down, drive half naked to my hunting place, get out of the truck then put all my hunting clothes on, scent down again and start walking. Its a long walk to my stand let me tell you. By the time i made it to my tree i was completely soaked with sweat and telling myself what a dumb idea to hunt on one of the hottest mornings yet of bow season. Once i got to the tree i sprayed down again and actually put up one of those ozonics. I borrowed my buddys because i was willing to try anything. The wind was out of the SSE which isnt good for that stand i hunted but i knew time was running out and the bucks would be changing there patterns soon. I chose to be aggressive rather then wait for the "perfect wind". and at day break i had a really nice buck come straight from downwind and walk on a trail right by me. I thought to myself man maybe these ozonics really do work because trust me I was skeptical about them. Then 15 min later i heard a deer walking from straight behind. Once it got close i heard it freak out and jump or something, i knew it had got my wind even though it was on the upwind side of the tree. As i turn slowly to look it was 8 point and it kept walking on the trail but was very nervous and he walked right by me. Then all of the sudden i look back and there he was, the noise I heard I believe came from the Big buck because he was still just standing there not 8 yards down from the tree. I didn't have shot and he busted he ran on the same trail the 8 point did but stopped at about 20 yards. Still had no shot he was behind trees and other limbs and i thought to myself this can not happen to me again. About that time he eased out to the right and i was on go. I had drawn my bow and had a perfect broadside shot, i leaned out a little because of one limb i was trying to dodge and sent an arrow at him. Whack... I knew i smoked him. He ran about 75 yards and i heard him crash. It all happened so fast i never really had time to get nervous but after the shot i nearly fell out of the tree i was shaking so bad. Its funny how things work out, one day you can have the perfect wind and still have everything go wrong and then a few days later have the worst possible wind and things just go your way unexpectedly. Although i didn't put in a lot of tree stand hours i sure felt a weight had been lifted off of me because i devoted so much time and energy into trying to kill this buck. For all you fellow bowhunters out there i hope you get a chance at a buck of a lifetime because it truly is a surreal feeling.

Comment

Congrats! That is a monster

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
          Can you tell us about the shot? Distance, bow, arrows, broadheads, how far did he run? Buck of a lifetime man, you might as well hang it up I'm in east Texas too but there ain't no deer like that around me
          I shot my 20 yard pin and after i shot i had time to range the area at 22 yards. The buck went about 75-90 yards and was Done! I couldnt see it but heard him crash. And im shooting a bowtech tribute that i absolutely still love even though technology seems to be surpassing it and i always use spitfire broadheads they're the mechanical 3 blade, Ive never lost an animal or a deer with em' they're great!

Comment

Originally posted by Droptime View Post
            I work with Frank he told me about your pursuit of this giant I was hoping you would get it. Congrats that is a buck of a life time especially free range in our area!
            Haha yea i felt terrible because we had plans to hunt our new lease in Kansas opening weekend and i bailed on him because of this buck. Pretty funny when you choose East tx over Southern Kansas. lol

Comment

Awesome buck

Comment

Great write up and great buck. Congrats on a monster.

Comment

Wow! What a toad! I'd be proud if that brick anywhere, but the fact you got him on camera and targeted that buck and them were successful, makes it that much better.

Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                    I would also love some side views? At a glance , his many trines looked kinda short but after staring at him a while it appears they sweep out and forward an d may be much longer than the front view shows?

Its also hard for me to figure out whats typical frame. I cant even venture a guess on score!
                    Pics make him look big, his tines are fairly short, none over 9 3/4 inches. Inside spread was 21 7/8 but who knows really because which one do you consider his main beam? Lol Beam length i had guessed would be 24 inches but they are only 20 inches! and his mass was typical for a east tx buck. 4 in bases. However he does have points! 20 of them and they add up quick. Im no expert in scoring non-typical racks and will have him officially scored to find out for sure. I felt i was conservative when measuring and came up with 180 4/8 inches. I could be wrong and he could only be 170 so don't hold me to it. lol but as soon as i find out ill let you guys know!

Comment

Unreal congrats on a great deer and to be proud of that's for sure!

Comment

Congrats on the great deer!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech10 View Post
                          Pics make him look big, his tines are fairly short, none over 9 3/4 inches. Inside spread was 21 7/8 but who knows really because which one do you consider his main beam? Lol Beam length i had guessed would be 24 inches but they are only 20 inches! and his mass was typical for a east tx buck. 4 in bases. However he does have points! 20 of them and they add up quick. Im no expert in scoring non-typical racks and will have him officially scored to find out for sure. I felt i was conservative when measuring and came up with 180 4/8 inches. I could be wrong and he could only be 170 so don't hold me to it. lol but as soon as i find out ill let you guys know!
                          I was adding him up and if his typical frame is 7x7, with the top "beam" being a crab claw typical point, I came up with right at 180 just on his typical frame. That's without the extras. I could be way off though as its really hard to guess whats main frame. Please post more pics and DEFINATELY have him officially scored.

Comment

Golly bum, what a great buck. Congrats

Comment

Awesome buck!

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X