No announcement yet.

Lost my private spot, now in need.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L&S, I feel your pain, my inlaws have 436 acres in Montague, and it has some bad azz genetics, and I have had the ok to hunt it ONE time. Otherwise friends and family have hunted it... Sux it happened to you I wish you the best getting you a place...

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
      I can see where you are coming from, but
      From my point of view as a "country boy" raised on a ranch. They shouldn't have to tell yo that you have to pull your weight. It should be understood, you enjoy the family land you work on the family land.
      Reading your posts I think you know that, you just weren't following through. My point is that instead of picking up and leaving, which is going to cause hard feelings in the family, buckle up and get to work. Will keep peace in the family and you'll get what you want, to hunt for free. Win Win all the way around. Will earn you some brownie points with the wife and Inlaws.
      X2 on to enjoy the family land you work the family land. I wished I would have had your problem in my younger days. I wouldn't have to be asked to help it would have been a given.

Comment

good luck with everything

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
          I don't think I've known anyone with a free hunting spot that did more hunting than worrying. I would tell FIL, hey I'd love to go down and help work but I thought this new guy that took my hunting spot had everything handled.
          I agree, i hunted my current lease for free for 15 years and i rarely shot anything because i was worried id somehow ruin this free spot. I finally told them that when the paid hunters on the other side of the ranch got off id be more than willing to lease it. My hunting has been more enjoyable since.( 12 years)
          My FIL has almost 2000 acres in east Tx i can hunt anytime i want. And in 14 years i have hunted about 7-10 days total. Just dont like the idea of somehow pizzing him or my brother in law off.......which would be almost impossible

Comment

as someone said above, I would be appreciative of the hunting you had and find a lease

Comment

There's a 4000 acre bow lease in the classified section. Just north of Quanah in OklAhoma in the Classified section. Probably outstanding hunting. Should check it out

Comment

Here's my take..............help when needed,because it's family and forget about the hunting.If the MIL is making up rules now she'll do it in the future.For whatever reason this other guy has been given priority.That' s not going to change.

DJ

Comment

That's a tough one. **** move for moving on your "turf" if i may but that's really disrespect to put your stand right in front of someone else's. Plus he rifle hunts - just move your stand and get out of his sight b4 accidents happen.

FIL his house his rules - if you don't like it too bad - even if they aren't thoughtful about it. I'm not trying to sound like an (__!__) but that's how things are and we got to play the hand dealt. He he chooses to do that, he kinda took the fun and enjoyment from his daughter (b/c you won't be there anymore) but that's on him.

I wouldn't budge for anything but family and is will always be first b4 friends. Just my 0.02 but I feel your pain(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No real earth shattering advice, but having been a "tenant" on in-laws property in the past, and putting countless hours in equipment service and tending land, trees and fencing, household crap, while working full time, going to school full time and raising two crazy ankle biters at the same time, the best decision I made was packing my family up and moving off the property. 20 years later we are civil, and respectful, but the line in the sand was drawn and all points made. FIL was a yes man to the MIL, and felt it better to abide by her rule, than to challenge. MIL still has the rant attitude, but my toys, my rules and she knows it. Couldn't be happier. It sucks all around to be under some one else's thumb, so best advice I have is to take your ball and go home, find a spot you have control over, or the best option of control and enjoy yourself.

Comment

Lake Whitney is prob your best bet !!! lots of deer also

Comment

Hey guys -

Wanted to post an update to this for a couple of reasons. First, y'all are all awesome. I've been able to do a lot of public land research and really increased my IQ in that regard. I've reached out to a lot of people for info about the area up here and I have some plans to start exploring it next season. Would never have gotten there without you guys.

Also, I took the advice of some folks here and did a couple of things - I cooled my heels a little bit before saying or doing anything drastic. I spoke to my FIL, and I made my frustration clear, but in a very, 'hey, I get that I'm not entitled to anything at all' kind of way. I also made myself available to help out and work - with no expectation or talk of hunting privilege - down at the property more often. We've run pipe, clear cut, tractored, dug trench - a ton of stuff, and honestly it's been fun.

Interesting development; the dude who hunts the property also apparently has not harvested his buck yet, and now it's open season on him. First to see him gets to drop him, and there's a doe available to take, too. Since I got right with the idea of only putting a doe in the freezer this year, this is nothing but good news to me. FIL is also softening up to the idea of predator harvest on the land, now that I've shown him trail cams of 'yotes, bobcats, and a couple of fawn skulls. So, things are looking up for me. I don't think it was as simple as 'do more work,' but I do think it was as simple as - do more work and be up front/honest about things.

So, again - appreciate all the sympathy and the advice, because I put it to use. The issue of the dude plopping his stand about 30 yards from mine and claiming he did a bunch of 'prep work' is still there, but..that's an issue for another time.

Take care.

Comment

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
                          Yeah, the new guy is a family friend who did some pest control work for the family. When he found out that there's this big hunting property and only one other hunter, he expressed interest and was invited. Cool, fine. But, because he put a lot of work into developing his little hunting area, he somehow got bumped in front of the line. Strange, I agree.
                          Chalk it up to your mil's Sancho now gets to hunt your spot. Move on down the road and leave the drama behind.

Comment

Help when they ask and find your own place.

Comment

Working...
                            X