Will red lights scare animals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will red lights scare animals?

I've heard if you put lights on the feeder, it will take time for them to get used to it but with RED there is no break in time because pigs can't see red light.

Any truth?

I'd say that's right. I can't remember the last time I was sitting at a red light and had a hog waiting on the light to turn green.

Comment

My experience.....if you flip a red light on while the hogs are there, they will split. Just have it on before it gets dark enough to tell a difference that it is on.

Comment

i'm not to sure on hogs but red light will not scare varmints..

Comment

With my experience red lights will not scare hogs away. I have used a red light to hunt at night before with little to no problems. The main thing to remember when turning it on is to turn it on with the light aiming at the sky and bring it down onto the animals. If you just point the light at the piggies and turn it on they may get scared.

Just re-read your orig question, I take it you are planning to actually put the lights on the feeder, sounds like there should be no prob with that. Also, you might want to check these out, they shouldnt spook game either and they are pretty inexpensive http://www.elusivewildlife.com/produ...re&iProduct=31

Comment

I have had red lights on all my wheelers and Sami...they don't bother the deer or critters at all! and you can see what's around you better!

Comment

Hogs may not be able to see red, but they CAN see light. If pigs are hunted hard as they are on some day leases, a red light shining toward them will sure spook them. Now a red light (or a light green) one on the feeder which they are used to shouldn't have an effect.

Comment

I used green when I shot a hog this past year with a pistol. Never noticed I turned it on.

Comment

Shot a black buck after dark with one, he never knew what hit him.

Comment

red lights do not scare game in the least

Comment

Concering feeder lights and spot lights:

Originally posted by finatic View Post
                      My experience.....if you flip a red light on while the hogs are there, they will split. Just have it on before it gets dark enough to tell a difference that it is on.
                      Concernning Hog lights:

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
                      ......The main thing to remember when turning it on is to turn it on with the light aiming at the sky and bring it down onto the animals. If you just point the light at the piggies and turn it on they may get scared.........

There is your answer right there.

Comment

Animals can see the light...but a red or blue filter turns a bright light beam into a soft and less intimidating glow.

Blue or red will work the same, but some people can see the target better through their peep in a blue light.

Last night, we used a red spot light and a blue hawglite to kill the pig in my profile picture. Shot distance was about 17 yards from a Double Bull blind.

We violated both rules above...when the hog showed up we flipped the light on and then we shined it right on him. It didn't phase him a bit...but then again...the pigs we were hunting don't get a whole lot of pressure.
                        Last edited by Sika; 02-10-2007, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Congrats, Court, on the pig!

I, too, have had Good Luck with the blue Hawglite

Comment

Buy a hog lite, had critters coming to my feeder and trap set up with a hog lite on only at night, the very first evening pic, it was 3 does and 4 days after that had a 6pt and next day 5 hogs. I love mine, I put up a ground blind (50yds)and me and my daughter can sit there late nights and see perfect..Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I'll be laying a pig down soon...hopefully. I plan on sleeping in my carbon venture where I have about a 16yrd shot to the feeder. I'm going to start thinning out the 2dozen racoons that visit as shown on my TC and arrow the pig rooting things up. There is little to no hunting pressure at my family's place so it should work fine. Now I'm off to buy the lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X