Smaller land tracts- Edwards, Val Verde county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by techzan View Post
    Ideal situation is to find one that's far the edge of a subdivision & borders a large low fenced ranch. That's what I did & hit the jackpot. Land out there is inexpensive compared to other counties & often has a wide variety of exotics.

That’s why people get high fences out. I’m guessing you hunt out of carta valley?

Comment

I have owned my place for 7 years. PM me if you would like info.

I have 110 acres, I border a Large Property and there is another Large Property between me and my Neighbor.

Comment

I always wondered why there were SO MANY little priorities for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
          I always wondered why there were SO MANY little priorities for sale.
          Investors buy BIG Properties and then divide and sell them for a more affordable price for people like me.

Comment

Once you buy a small property you are going to be stuck with the neighbors around you for a long time, pay taxes, worry about what is happening when you aren't there, etc.
            With a lease you have the freedom to move on to something else and not have to deal with all those problems that will eventually occur.
            Usually it isn't the property, but the people around you that makes owning your own land a roll of the dice.
            The larger the property the happier you will be!
            I owned a small property for about 20 years and the first few years it was heaven on earth, until more and more people moved in around me, and developers kept expanding.
            Last edited by Jimbo47; 12-21-2017, 06:51 AM.

Comment

I have hunted in Carta Valley and looked at some properties in Edwards county. Carta Valley seems to be hunted hard and littered with broke down travel trailers and junk piles, however I do believe that a 400+ acre tract in that area would be hard to beat for hunting. Unfortunately, once you get close to the 400 acre tracts the price per acre does not go down. Of course this is my opinion, dont get any hard feelings.
              Kinney county has some good deals for bigger tracts I think. We looked at a 398 acre place with a nice house and nice outbuildings for 600k. Sutton county too.
              I am getting too old to borrow money on a place, so a lease is my best option. I own 146 acres, but am in a discussion with some folks near me that want to lease their 300 acres near Gonzales. Hopefully it will work out, the owners did tell me they are done leasing to younger guys and was looking for someone that can follow rules. I told them I might not be the guy,lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo47 View Post
                Once you buy a small property you are going to be stuck with the neighbors around you for a long time, pay taxes, worry about what is happening when you aren't there, etc.
                With a lease you have the freedom to move on to something else and not have to deal with all those problems that will eventually occur.
                Usually it isn't the property, but the people around you that makes owning your own land a roll of the dice.
                The larger the property the happier you will be!
                I owned a small property for about 20 years and the first few years it was heaven on earth, until more and more people moved in around me, and developers kept expanding.
                All to familiar with this. Sold our 230 acres this year because our large neighbor broke his 1200 acre ranch into 20 acre ranchets. Sounds like a shooting range around there😮

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                  I own my own land and still lease. Nobody wants to just shoot does.
                  I would. Doe meat tastes better anyways, especially here where the deer never get big.

OP, if you want it, go for it. We hunt 40 acres in WI, and two years ago, my dad shot a great 11 point, and our neighbor shot the 4th largest deer in the state for that year. Both of which were way over 200 lbs. This year, the land provided at least 6 18" plus bucks (Huge for our area of WI), all of which were around 200 lbs. You just have to make friends with the neighbors, and practice QDM together.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    I would. Doe meat tastes better anyways, especially here where the deer never get big.

OP, if you want it, go for it. We hunt 40 acres in WI, and two years ago, my dad shot a great 11 point, and our neighbor shot the 4th largest deer in the state for that year. Both of which were way over 200 lbs. This year, the land provided at least 6 18" plus bucks (Huge for our area of WI), all of which were around 200 lbs. You just have to make friends with the neighbors, and practice QDM together.
                    Do you own that 40 acres?

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                      All to familiar with this. Sold our 230 acres this year because our large neighbor broke his 1200 acre ranch into 20 acre ranchets. Sounds like a shooting range around there😮
                      Couple buddies bought land nw of Rocksprings about 10 years ago. Same thing......sounded like a shooting range. They sold about 5 years later and almost doubled they money. That's the last area I would buy a small property in.

Comment

Land Ownership vs Leasing

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                        I would rather own my own land and just shoot does than pay a lease fee.
                        X1000.
                        And show up to camp after paying those high lease fees and busting your a** improving the land owners Deer herd to see people at camp that you were hoping didn’t show up. Oh, and having to put up with these people on your time off. Nice!

Comment

Edwards is the king of land fragmentation. The better part of the south and eastern sides are all those little 50-60 acre places and it shows. As mentioned, a plethora of abandoned travel trailer and mobile homes and general trash piles. Most all of these type places are in "subdivision" type setups with one main road in and out and no fences but perimeter around entire division. Literally feeders and blinds every 4-5 acres. We had thought about looking into it more, but unless you could find at least 250 acres it would not be worth the aggravation. It would have to be a place out away from a bunch of the other crap out there and bordered by as big or bigger neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

Shooting 6 bucks on 40 acres is practicing QDM ?

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                              Shooting 6 bucks on 40 acres is practicing QDM ?
                              I'll answer that for him and the answer is no.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                                I'll answer that for him and the answer is no.
                                Rocksprings is just like WI.

Comment

Working...
                                X