Smaller land tracts- Edwards, Val Verde county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smaller land tracts- Edwards, Val Verde county

I've recently been kicking around the idea of purchasing one of those smaller properties around this area for a family get away/ hunting property. Have found some places in the area in the 150-200 acre size that could be affordable for me. Anyone own or have any experience with these properties? Is the hunting any good?

Hunting on most of them is mediocre. You'll probably kill some stuff but it's not good enough to buy it for that reason IMO. For the price of that land you could get a pretty nice lease for a long time.

Comment

There are some that border our 14,000 acre ranch we lease. They came to our land owner asking if they could tap into his water lines and he almost **** them for asking. Now they hunt our fence lines and the game wardens are watching them thinking now they are coming into our lease poaching because they shoot everything on their small tract.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        Hunting on most of them is mediocre. You'll probably kill some stuff but it's not good enough to buy it for that reason IMO. For the price of that land you could get a pretty nice lease for a long time.
        I would rather own my own land and just shoot does than pay a lease fee.

Comment

It all depends on where you're at. I have a 200 acre place just north of Stephenville. I take care of the property, plant a good sized food plot every fall, and keep feeders full all year. I also leave several sanctuary areas and don't over hunt it. The deer numbers aren't high, but I've been lucky enough to get a nice deer every year.

The decision of whether or not to buy a place is different for everyone. I grew up dreaming of owning my own property. I never dreamed of having a good lease. I wouldn't trade my place for the world.
          Last edited by WBT; 12-20-2017, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I look at these all the time on lands of Texas, there’s actually quite a few for sale.

Comment

Ideal situation is to find one that's far the edge of a subdivision & borders a large low fenced ranch. That's what I did & hit the jackpot. Land out there is inexpensive compared to other counties & often has a wide variety of exotics.

Comment

They are cheaper for a reason due to most of them over-hunted. Look county bag limits on whitetails also. Like posted above if you can get one in the right location you will be pleased. Water and electricity are going to cost you a lot. Keeping an ag exemption or wildlife exemption can be made difficult by the county you buy in. Also think about Anthrax out there in that area. Been a while since it has hit and it will sooner or later. I think the last outbreak was in the early 2000's IIRC now. It can wipe out deer in large areas while missing others.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                  I would rather own my own land and just shoot does than pay a lease fee.
                  I own my own land and still lease. Nobody wants to just shoot does.

Comment

Bumpy would...

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                      They are cheaper for a reason due to most of them over-hunted. Look county bag limits on whitetails also. Like posted above if you can get one in the right location you will be pleased. Water and electricity are going to cost you a lot. Keeping an ag exemption or wildlife exemption can be made difficult by the county you buy in. Also think about Anthrax out there in that area. Been a while since it has hit and it will sooner or later. I think the last outbreak was in the early 2000's IIRC now. It can wipe out deer in large areas while missing others.
                      I believe it's cheaper not because they're over hunted. I think the reason it's cheaper out there is because it's so far away from major cities. The farther west you have to drive from Austin, San Antonio, Houston, etc the less it costs. Regarding a 1-D-1 tax exemption. If you buy a tract that's in a subdivision you probably won't have to do anything to maintain the ridiculously low annual tax bill. 100 acres in Edwards County that has this tax exemption costs about $200 a year.

Comment

Most will end up with a high fence down the large ranch side and very little to hunt from over hunting.

Comment

This thread is depressing

Comment

Same. Leases are cheap compared to costs of buying and maintaining a 200+ acre piece of property.

BP
                            Last edited by Big pig; 12-20-2017, 08:46 PM.

Comment

As mentioned, that area is prone to Anthrax... The main area to be concerned with is north of Hwy 90 and South of 377... that wedge has been wiped out about every 10 to 20 years since I was a kid... When conditions are right a "bloom" will occur very quickly and from infection to death only takes about 7-10 days in a WT deer...

Comment

Working...
                              X