No announcement yet.

Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wife and I also started this Monday. I had a small headache start yesterday and continue into today, so I'm hoping that means I'm doing it right and my body is transitioning.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      My wife and I decided to give this Keto thing a try, at least for a month. I'm not sure it's the "right" plan for me (or ultimately for her), but she's wanting to kick start her weight loss and, hopefully, reduce some of the pain in her back and knees. We decided that we'll attempt Keto until the end of March and then adjust from there, if needed, as I'm not sure it's sustainable for us. I intend to start working out to gain strength and endurance, so I'm not sure how my body will respond on a high fat diet. I will likely transition, at some point, to a higher protein, "clean" eating plan. We'll see.

We kind of jumped right into this yesterday, so I'm a little anxious about the "keto flu." I have plenty of pickle juice and water on hand for the next week, or so! We started simple with what we already had at the house. I researched a bit yesterday, scrolling through this thread and checking a few referenced links. I also have a buddy that has been on Keto for over a year (primarily to help with his Lyme's disease).

I'll follow along with this thread and try to search previous posts for answers, but I'm curious what supplements y'all might take and what macro % adjustments y'all might make when you workout vs when you don't. Any other quick tips are appreciated, as well.
      Good luck, y'all have got this!

I typically eat my last meal around 7 pm and then eat again at 12-12:30pm. When I started I only ate two meals a day, but I found that I wasn't as strong during my lifts in the afternoon so I have started to eat an hour or so before my workout. Typically 8-12oz of meat.

I haven't taken exogenous ketons, but I know they have helped a lot of people get back into ketosis. The first 3 days sucked for me, but once your body becomes adapted hunger hasn't been an issue for me.

Comment

My wife and I decided to give this Keto thing a try, at least for a month. I'm not sure it's the "right" plan for me (or ultimately for her), but she's wanting to kick start her weight loss and, hopefully, reduce some of the pain in her back and knees. We decided that we'll attempt Keto until the end of March and then adjust from there, if needed, as I'm not sure it's sustainable for us. I intend to start working out to gain strength and endurance, so I'm not sure how my body will respond on a high fat diet. I will likely transition, at some point, to a higher protein, "clean" eating plan. We'll see.

We kind of jumped right into this yesterday, so I'm a little anxious about the "keto flu." I have plenty of pickle juice and water on hand for the next week, or so! We started simple with what we already had at the house. I researched a bit yesterday, scrolling through this thread and checking a few referenced links. I also have a buddy that has been on Keto for over a year (primarily to help with his Lyme's disease).

I'll follow along with this thread and try to search previous posts for answers, but I'm curious what supplements y'all might take and what macro % adjustments y'all might make when you workout vs when you don't. Any other quick tips are appreciated, as well.
        To avoid the keto flu you need to make sure your hydrated and drink half your body weight in ounces each day, increase salt intake and meet your daily macros. I've been on it for a month now and have shed 22lbs and never experienced any issues with the keto flu doing the above. I do use a app carbsense to help track macros and also read Keto Diet by Leanne Vogel.

Comment

I'm down 26 in the last five weeks, with two cracked ribs and no gym time.

Comment

Small indiscretion last night - 3 fingers of buffalo trace led me to eating 2 wasa crackers. (yes, sadly that is the only non-vegetable carb in my house currently)
            So I was just barely turning the strip pink this morning. Did a shot of the ketone powder stuff (tasted about like doing alkaseltzer) and drove on to work. Tested dark purple an hour later as expected. Had my normal keto coffee this morning, avocado mid-morning snack and some chicken with spinach for lunch. Feel pretty good so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
              What is sprout's? Can you post a brand on the tortillas? How are they?

pretty good and 1.76g per

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                I'm down 26 in the last five weeks, with two cracked ribs and no gym time.
                Awesome! Looks like you've been eating some good food, too!
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
                  To avoid the keto flu you need to make sure your hydrated and drink half your body weight in ounces each day, increase salt intake and meet your daily macros. I've been on it for a month now and have shed 22lbs and never experienced any issues with the keto flu doing the above. I do use a app carbsense to help track macros and also read Keto Diet by Leanne Vogel.
                  x2 hydration is key

carbs hold water that's why when folks go low carb they see that quick loss. Its the water weight. When you are dehydrated your body still needs water to metabolize and it will pull from your entire body even the brain. see link on dehydration headaches. This also why we get hangover headaches.

Dehydration headaches can result in low blood pressure, dizziness, dark urine, and pain. Learn more about the symptoms, causes, and treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                    x2 hydration is key

carbs hold water that's why when folks go low carb they see that quick loss. Its the water weight. When you are dehydrated your body still needs water to metabolize and it will pull from your entire body even the brain. see link on dehydration headaches. This also why we get hangover headaches.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317511.php
                    Don't forget electrolytes like Potassium and Magnesium.

Comment

Welcome to the Keto Family. As you stated, this thread has lots of good info in it. Tips for avoiding the Keto flu. I've never had it. I take Magnesium Citrate supplements twice a day. 1 tab in the am and 2 tabs pm. Each tab is 250 mg. Sometimes I do 2 and 2. I drink Knorr chicken broth daily for extra sodium, pink Himalayan Salt on all my food. Don't be afraid of the salt. An avocado daily for good source of fats and potassium.

Current macro's are 70% fat 25% protein and 5% carbs. I actually do a little less on the carbs. Also it is net carbs. Fiber content does not count.

Drink lots of water as your body will not have any carbs to keep it in. justintyme8303 covered it and put it well. Some say artificial sweeteners will kick you of ketosis but I believe that's on personal basis so, keep them eliminated until you find out how they affect you.

Some helpful youtuber's are Thomas DeLauer, Goodybeats, Jason Whitrock, Keto Connect and a ton others. I like Headbangers Kitchen for recipes.

Edit...I also take Controlled Labs Orange Triad and Fish Oil. Hyde is my preworkout of choice. I also drink a Powerade Zero daily. Tumeric in my chicken broth helps with inflammation. You will find that keto will naturally raise your test levels and ward of inflammation. Traditional clean diets, low in fat, tank your test levels.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                        Welcome to the Keto Family. As you stated, this thread has lots of good info in it. Tips for avoiding the Keto flu. I've never had it. I take Magnesium Citrate supplements twice a day. 1 tab in the am and 2 tabs pm. Each tab is 250 mg. Sometimes I do 2 and 2. I drink Knorr chicken broth daily for extra sodium, pink Himalayan Salt on all my food. Don't be afraid of the salt. An avocado daily for good source of fats and potassium.

Current macro's are 70% fat 25% protein and 5% carbs. I actually do a little less on the carbs. Also it is net carbs. Fiber content does not count.

Drink lots of water as your body will not have any carbs to keep it in. justintyme8303 covered it and put it well. Some say artificial sweeteners will kick you of ketosis but I believe that's on personal basis so, keep them eliminated until you find out how they affect you.

Some helpful youtuber's are Thomas DeLauer, Goodybeats, Jason Whitrock, Keto Connect and a ton others. I like Headbangers Kitchen for recipes.

Edit...I also take Controlled Labs Orange Triad and Fish Oil. Hyde is my preworkout of choice. I also drink a Powerade Zero daily. Tumeric in my chicken broth helps with inflammation. You will find that keto will naturally raise your test levels and ward of inflammation. Traditional clean diets, low in fat, tank your test levels.
                        Good info!

I'm curious about everybody's eating schedules, or how many meals you try to eat daily, and if you mix it up periodically. Any way seem to yield better results than another?

Also, it seems that entering ketosis is pretty much carb driven, no? If so, then what impact will adjusting fat/protein ratio have on results? Most recommend 70-75% fat for fat loss, but have y'all ever adjusted the ratios?
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Good info!

I'm curious about everybody's eating schedules, or how many meals you try to eat daily, and if you mix it up periodically. Any way seem to yield better results than another?

Also, it seems that entering ketosis is pretty much carb driven, no? If so, then what impact will adjusting fat/protein ratio have on results? Most recommend 70-75% fat for fat loss, but have y'all ever adjusted the ratios?
                          I don’t have a normal schedule. I work 2p-2a. My last food intake is between 11pm and 1 am. Then, I try not to eat again till at least 2pm at the earliest. Their are days I can fast 16 hrs or longer. On Monday, my last meal was at 1200. I got off work at 2 am and didn’t. Eat till 1800. I let my body dictate when and how much I need to eat. Once you get fat adapted, you’ll be surprised at how much you find yourself not hungry. Also, look up Intermittent Fasting.

Comment

I started on a no carb diet 4 weeks ago. (actually trying to stay at 20 carbs a day or lower, but I don't count carbs)

I started at 216.7 and I am 5'11" and 54 years old. Weighed today and I'm at 201.3. I have not exercised at all due to family and work issues.

The hardest part for me was not using artificial sweeteners or sugar. I like my coffee and iced tea and thought the artificial sweeteners were ok. NOT.

I have done this diet several times over the years and I have learned you can't do this as a diet. It has to be a lifestyle change. If you return to your old ways, the pounds will come back quicker than they fell off.
                            Last edited by 220swift; 03-01-2018, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Two weeks ago, I went though and read this entire thread...took notes while doing so. I have done low carb stuff before, and it has worked but I did not sustain it. My biggest issue is I don't/can't eat vegetables. That and I monitored my carbs but not necessarily cutting out the bad carbs. With Keto though, there seems to be so much information out there. Although I don't eat vegetables, there are plenty of recipes out there that I think I can handle this. It is definitely worth a shot because I am tired of filling and looking like I presently do.

Anyway, I just started on Monday. I have had no issues thus far. Willpower did come into play though. On Tuesday, my daughters boyfriend came by the house and cooked. I could not eat it. Then last night a friend had a birthday, and I did not have a drink. It really was not that difficult to say "no" though. I know there will be times that I have my cheat days, but I definitely did not want to do it on day two and three.

My eating routine thus far has been...

Morning - Bulletproof Coffee
                              Lunch - (12:30ish) Thus far just some meat and cheese
                              Supper - (between 7:00 & 8:00) Thus far, mainly eggs and bacon

These are supposed to be my daily numbers...
                              2485 Calories
                              194g Fat
                              153.6g Protein
                              31g Carbs

My biggest concerns, at least I think it is a concern, is that I am really not getting close to these numbers. In the long run, how much of a concern is this?

One more thing, does anyone have a good recipe for Bulletproof Coffee? I really miss my creamer.

I am doing...
                              2 cups of Coffee
                              1 TBSP butter
                              1 TBSP Coconut Oil
                              (This morning a put a couple of squirts of Stevia in it)

Comment

I am considering doing this diet, and looking at the bullet prof coffee and things that go in it NOT CHEAP!!! Anybody have some recipes for the bullet prof coffee?

Comment

Working...
                                X