How safe is a safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How safe is a safe?

Anyone ever had one broken into, stolen, or go through a house fire? If you've had one broken into or stolen, any idea on what features a safe could have that would have prevented it? Pure speculation on my part but my guess is they aren't near as hard to get into as we would like to think.

My safe is mainly to safely lock all of my firearms to keep them from my kids etc. I figure if someone wants it bad enough, they will take it.

Comment

this

Originally posted by Axe Man View Post
      My safe is mainly to safely lock all of my firearms to keep them from my kids etc. I figure if someone wants it bad enough, they will take it.
      in my expierance it keeps honest folks honest, if a criminal wants in it and has the time they will get in it also great rust inhibitor,

Comment

One of our customers went to the store and had his safe pulled out of the garage with a pickup and a chain while he was gone. He was only gone for 30 minutes in the middle of the day. The concrete anchors didn't help a bit.

Comment

with ingenuity ant time, any security can be defeated. although I worked at one place that you had to have 2 people call and get half the combo every time you opened the safe and it changed every time.

Comment

Depends on what quality of safe. The tractor supply and academy ones will slow them down but they'll get in them. I did a ton of research and decided on the Liberty fatboy 64 based on a lot of reading and videos. It's much much better built that the box store "safes". I did look at the higher end Amsec ones and some others but didn't want to throw $5000+ at it. Fire rating and protection is what I look at. If anyone has enough time and tools they'll get into any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Axe Man View Post
              I want it! Can I take it along with that Raider Blue Pit of yours?

On a serious note, had a friend in college that had one stolen out of the garage. They took it like you see people take atm machines. Wrapped it in chain and floored the truck. Ripped it right off the floor.

Comment

The vast majority of home burglaries are smash and grab by amateurs. These people will be defeated by most good quality gun safes. If a pro wants the contents of your safe, he will get them, given enough time.

Comment

That Beaver Blue pit is ready to do work anytime you want to come this way!

Originally posted by TMC50 View Post
                  I want it! Can I take it along with that Raider Blue Pit of yours?

On a serious note, had a friend in college that had one stolen out of the garage. They took it like you see people take atm machines. Wrapped it in chain and floored the truck. Ripped it right off the floor.

Comment

I went mid range in the Champion series. Number of bolts and door thickness was important to me along with enough fire rating to get the fire department out. I’m a big believer in keeping my safe as “hidden” as possible. Out of sight, out of mind.

Comment

I have one for the following reasons:

1. Keep my wife from seeing all the guns and ammo I've accumulated.

2. Keep my kids and more importantly their friends from my guns, ammo and other valuables. They are curious little critters after all.

3. Slow down a thief if my home were to get broken into.

Comment

Keeping it in the garage is just a bad idea makes it easy too easy to get to and also do what others have mentioned here by chaining and pulling with a truck. Inside the higher the quality the longer it will take them but they can get in any of them with enough time

Comment

If you do go with a cheaper model look at the placement of the safe. You want it in an area where prying it open or getting long swinging blows will be difficult.

Comment

I can get in prolly most box store safes in 5 minutes with a metabo grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
                              If you do go with a cheaper model look at the placement of the safe. You want it in an area where prying it open or getting long swinging blows will be difficult.
                              This and also bolt it down properly because if its loose and they can turn it over with the door up the chances of them getting into it quicker goes way up.
                              There is a lot of videos on YouTube that go over some good points. I posted one on here several years ago you might can find.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X