No announcement yet.

Treestand Accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I wear my seat belt because of other drivers. Not because of my driving.

Use a harness if it works for you. It doesn't for me.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

No skinny you are the one who started the insults. If anyone is the troll it's you. I just stated don't use one and the people who think they know better than anyone else, including you, started quoting me.

Comment

Lost a dear friend several years ago. Spraying wasps out of a box blind (10 feet up in the air). He stumbled back, fell and landed on a T-post. He died due to blood loss from being in a remote location and not receiving medical aid quick enough.

I was also that guy who said I didn't need one when they first became the norm, years ago.

Until one day, I was hunting in Wisconsin and walked into a set I had never hunted, well before day light. It had snowed overnight, when I found the tree, I realized the stand was about 25-28 feet up and the screw in steps were covered in ice.

I made it up into the stand, got my bow hung and waited for daylight. As the light hit, I realized the stand was facing downhill, and It literally felt like I was about 50 feet in the air. Had a world record deer come by, I dont think I could have let go of the tree long enough to even think about taking a shot. Scared the crap out of me. Never been up in a tree without one since.

Lost of guys get hurt when hanging sets too. Same applies when taking one down or putting one up.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          So what you are saying is because my opinion differs from yours I don't count? Wearing a harness is a personal choice. Just because some people have an accident doesn't mean all people will. Some people use a gun to commit crime but not all gun owners will. Wear a harness and believe you are safe then. I know better. Plenty of hunters have died hanging in one unable to get back up on the stand. That false sense of security means you are less apt to watch your hand and foot placement and more likely to fall. I've climbed elevated storage towers many times without fall protection. When they started making us wear them they were in the way and you had to use a hand to maneuver them just like those rope sliders. I'd rather have my hand on the ladder.

I fought tie off regulations as hard as anyone. To me, they were more dangerous than not being tied off, which in some cases, is true. The deal is, if you fall, at least you won't hit the ground. Obviously no one is going to change your mind. I'll just say what everyone here knows........you are a very ignorant and selfish man. Do the youngsters a favor and quit posting on this subject. Your selfishness and ignorance could get someone killed.

Comment

LOL...oh how the self righteous fell only their opinions count......So for those of you that are trolling DRT.....How many of you smoke? dip snuff? Chew tobacco? Drink too much on occasion? Ever drive some and then drive? How many are over weight? All of those things ( especially being fat ) are more likely to kill you then falling out of a deer stand. Personally I think hypocritical people should stop throwing rocks and passing judgements but that is just me.

-john

Comment

No skinny you are the one who started the insults. If anyone is the troll it's you. I just stated don't use one and the people who think they know better than anyone else, including you, started quoting me.

You are out of line and place posting your crap on a thread like this. Many of us have lost friends or family in this type of accident and will always be a proponent of wearing a harness. When guys like you who act like superheroes come on threads like you have, it rubs us the wrong way and is not good for the future of hunting.

Smh

Skinny

Comment

Never wear one but willing to accept the consequences for not. However I never hunt from lock on stands anymore and I'm pretty careful about securing my ladder stands.
                Dude, your playing with your life...tie off, please!

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                  LOL...oh how the self righteous fell only their opinions count......So for those of you that are trolling DRT.....How many of you smoke? dip snuff? Chew tobacco? Drink too much on occasion? Ever drive some and then drive? How many are over weight? All of those things ( especially being fat ) are more likely to kill you then falling out of a deer stand. Personally I think hypocritical people should stop throwing rocks and passing judgements but that is just me.

-john
                  Apples and oranges, and another ignorant *** statement.

Comment

I'm not going to flame any one who doesn't wear a harness, but silently I wish they would. Life is about choices, and I choose to wear mine every time my feet leave the ground.

I have had to deal with long term medical care for a family member that was in no way hunting related, and I wouldn't wish that nightmare on my worst enemy. And that is one thing that keeps me putting mine on every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
                      I can’t imagine putting up one of these safety lines at every possible set. Do you think it would make since to try to hook your harness on the next highest step each time you begin to climb up it? This is some pretty scary stuff and just wearing a harness once you’re up in the stand is obviously not the answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      Cajun, becareful with those safety lines. A fella I know used one and fell attached to the line, it broke and he suffered some serious injuries. They are death traps, becareful

Comment

Sorry you believe that. I think a person should do what works for them when they hunt. But I guess after 40 years of not falling out of my stand I have a bit of self confidence.

Comment

So what you are saying is because my opinion differs from yours I don't count? Wearing a harness is a personal choice. Just because some people have an accident doesn't mean all people will. Some people use a gun to commit crime but not all gun owners will. Wear a harness and believe you are safe then. I know better. Plenty of hunters have died hanging in one unable to get back up on the stand. That false sense of security means you are less apt to watch your hand and foot placement and more likely to fall. I've climbed elevated storage towers many times without fall protection. When they started making us wear them they were in the way and you had to use a hand to maneuver them just like those rope sliders. I'd rather have my hand on the ladder.

When I teach bowhunter ed classes I always tell the class I wear a harness not because I'm afraid of dying but because I'm afraid of getting paralyzed and having to have my family change my diapers. I can't imagine putting my daughter through having to wipe my filthy bottom because I wouldn't or didn't protect myself when hunting off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                            Cajun, becareful with those safety lines. A fella I know used one and fell attached to the line, it broke and he suffered some serious injuries. They are death traps, becareful
                            If it broke, then it either wasn't designed for such use, or neglected to the point of failure. Either way, it was preventable. Not all falls are preventable, but proper fall arrest equipment will save your life.

Comment

Help me out...are you guys promoting to NOT wear a harness?

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post

-john

You missed the point completely...and I don’t judge people for what they do...but coming on a thread like this and spewing some crap about not wearing a harness is total BS.

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                                X