Is Life Insurance Counted as Income?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Life Insurance Counted as Income?

Just as the title indicated. I am the beneficiary of a small life insurance policy. I didn't think you needed to claim beneficiary money as income on Federal taxes, but now I think I may have been mistaken. Anybody know for sure?

Nope. My wife’s first husband passed away and she received a good amount. Did not claim as income. Had an accountant file her taxes and first question she asked.

Comment

Not normally but Trumps new Tax PKG may change that. No clue.

Comment

Death benefits paid to beneficiaries are income tax free. The death benefit amount, if the policy was owned by the deceased, would be included in their estate, so there could be estate tax due if the value of the estate is over $5,490,000 (for 2017 deaths). But if the estate was less than that, then no estate tax either (as long as they hadn't made large gifts before death that used up their lifetime exemption).

Lots of caveats, but for the vast majority of folks, there's no tax due on life insurance proceeds. Talk to a CPA about your specific situation if you think there's any chance of an estate tax issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          Death benefits paid to beneficiaries are income tax free. The death benefit amount, if the policy was owned by the deceased, would be included in their estate, so there could be estate tax due if the value of the estate is over $5,490,000 (for 2017 deaths). But if the estate was less than that, then no estate tax either (as long as they hadn't made large gifts before death that used up their lifetime exemption).

Lots of caveats, but for the vast majority of folks, there's no tax due on life insurance proceeds. Talk to a CPA about your specific situation if you think there's any chance of an estate tax issue.
          This^^^^^ unless the premiums are paid by the business or employer and written off.

Comment

Good deal, thank you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
              This^^^^^ unless the premiums are paid by the business or employer and written off.
              That too. And then there's MEC rules.... Plenty of asterisks to go around.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                That too. And then there's MEC rules.... Plenty of asterisks to go around.
                dead man walking....

is it seven years?

Comment

In vast majority no income tax

Comment

Working...
                  X