#*%! Acorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
    Not trying to come off as a Jim shockey/ Stan Potts love child elite hunter trained under dr. Deer. I'm all for whatever works best. I don't have 15-20 days a month any longer to hunt. Every hour I'm afforded has to be taken full advantage of. If the are at feeders.... I'm not too proud. I've killed dozens and will continue to do so if needed.... But when the "I'm seeing zero because of acorns" comment comes up, I'm blown away with people refusal to "try" another method.

OP has to hunt a "set up", I understand that for safety on certain places. I wouldn't sign on for that but it is what it is, your handicapped to that.

Hunting landscape is my best technique. Creek crossings, edges of the thicker stuff/bedding areas, interior fence crossings, gate openings. There are hundreds of ways to hunt them, so if your not handicapped to one method..... try plan B. If your seeing nothing, there's nothing to lose
    Sure I agree Shockey.....except, I didn't see anybody telling him to stay on the corn. This discussion morphed primarily into talking about the "getting off the corn and hunting the acorns" blanket throwing crowd and how it doesn't work everywhere...
    Last edited by Smart; 12-02-2017, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Lol! Yup. It has been a really slow season. I hunt out in The Hill country and it's the greenest it has been in years, all I hear is pop and a thud all day. They just keep dropping. All over the place.

Comment

Why would he stay on the feeder if he isn't seeing deer? The OP has no other choice, if he did it would make no sense to stay there. He would be wasting his time.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          Why would he stay on the feeder if he isn't seeing deer? The OP has no other choice, if he did it would make no sense to stay there. He would be wasting his time.

Did somebody say he should stay on the feeder?

Comment

Sorry dude thought you eluded to that.

I wish someone would tell me where to hunt, hadn't seen a deer on my bow lease in 3 weeks. Maybe I ought to try a feeder?

Comment

Sorry dude thought you eluded to that.

I wish someone would tell me where to hunt, hadn't seen a deer on my bow lease in 3 weeks. Maybe I ought to try a feeder?

No deer hunting the oaks?

Comment

I've got 40 ac of mostly oak trees, tons of acorns. I've turned my corn feeders down to 2 sec twice a day. what has been bringing them in to established site is water and alfalfa. but i got one buck this year hunting active trails through the oaks. go to where the deer want to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  No deer hunting the oaks?
                  Oh yeah, stayed there all day...notta, we have to many oaks. Every year about this time, they change, straight nocturnal, no daytime pics, from here on its rough.

Please tell me what to do oh great Smart, I need your awe inspiring wisdom of the deer woods. Please share your knowledge, please oh great Smart

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                    Not trying to come off as a Jim shockey/ Stan Potts love child elite hunter trained under dr. Deer. I'm all for whatever works best. I don't have 15-20 days a month any longer to hunt. Every hour I'm afforded has to be taken full advantage of. If the are at feeders.... I'm not too proud. I've killed dozens and will continue to do so if needed.... But when the "I'm seeing zero because of acorns" comment comes up, I'm blown away with people refusal to "try" another method.

OP has to hunt a "set up", I understand that for safety on certain places. I wouldn't sign on for that but it is what it is, your handicapped to that.

Hunting landscape is my best technique. Creek crossings, edges of the thicker stuff/bedding areas, interior fence crossings, gate openings. There are hundreds of ways to hunt them, so if your not handicapped to one method..... try plan B. If your seeing nothing, there's nothing to lose
                    I gotta agree with you. Hunting the land and trails works wonders, it just takes a leap of faith to leave the tried-and-true blind/feeder. And for the record- all places I hunt are completely covered in oak trees. I'm no expert either but have found success this year in hunting the terrain. It's not about hunting the one magic oak tree (out of thousands all dropping acorns), but learning the land and how the deer use it to move in different areas. Now if you can't manage to stay quiet/still/hidden or are too big to sneak around outside a 6x6 box blind- that's a different story.
                    Last edited by Patton; 12-02-2017, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah, stayed there all day...notta, we have to many oaks. Every year about this time, they change, straight nocturnal, no daytime pics, from here on its rough.

Please tell me what to do oh great Smart, I need your awe inspiring wisdom of the deer woods. Please share your knowledge, please oh great Smart

Vanilly corn sprayed down with Scent Thief!!!!!

Comment

Not related to the op but I don't know where you can hunt in east Texas and only have one oak tree lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Vanilly corn sprayed down with Scent Thief!!!!!
                          Mmm mmmm, they do love that 'nilla corn, but they can smell right through that there Scent Thief...whatever that is

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                            Not related to the op but I don't know where you can hunt in east Texas and only have one oak tree lol.
                            Man we got a bunch on our lease, so grateful that we do

Comment

I keep hearing of folks who still have acorns. Weird as it is, we haven't had a bumper crop here at the farm in Austin Co. Usually it is a decent crop, but not this year. Seems odd, compared to everyone else. I actually wish we would've had more acorns...I always see more and better deer when we do

Comment

If you are not allowed to change stand location I would try something more nutritious then corn such as black sunflower seeds.

Comment

Working...
                                X