Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Now is the perfect time to hunt that pile if you have the wind right. None of my big deer are hitting feeders.. In the hand corn almost any time of day. sneak in early and stay as long as you can stand it.
    THANK YOU. That's just what I wanted to know, hear. I'm gonna freshen up the pile Saturday or Sunday then wait for the wind to shift out of the north Sunday or Monday. I'll be climbing in then.

Comment

Deer are making me foolish again this year. there is a particcular deer Im obsessed with and Its getting really personal. i named him Fiddy. well Fiddy is making a fool of me. he comes EVERY DAY in full light. Any hunt Im not there, he is! Somehow he is on too me. Hes not busting me though or he wouldnt keep showing up in daylight.. I think he is laying where he sees me drive in.

Hes just a big ol eight point. Yesterday eve,, i passed a deer with over 20 pts hoping Fiddy would show. I hunted from 530am until 1010 yesterday morning with conditions perfect. I corned when i left. Got back at 235 pm. Fiddy ate a mid day snack while i was gone.

I didnt hunt Monday he was in three different times monday evening. He didnt come yesterday eve while i was in the stand. I saw five bucks. Four 8pts and a big freak but no Fiddy!
      time for a drop,feed and drive off! good luck Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
        GarGuy, Jooger, and anyone else with advanced east TX buck hunting tactics and knowledge, I've got an "opinion" question for y'all: I've got a great hand-corn spot in an SMZ that's about 200 yards due north of my feeder. There are a ton of pin oaks back there, for what it's worth. There is only one way to get to said spot and it's walking directly past my feeder.

Up until about a week ago the target bucks that had been hitting my hand-corn were showing up at my feeder (generally late afternoon, early morning hours). As of about a week ago they seemed to have stopped hitting the feeder, though another great buck that had been photographed about a mile away at one of buddy's stands is now showing up on mine.

Anyway, long story short, it seems as though the pre-rut shift is on, or maybe they're starting to cruise now? Assuming that the feeder is not usually going to be a great option for catching cruising bucks, would it be too soon to try and hunt my hand-corn spot? Perhaps a midday sit would be in order and move back to the stand with the feeder for the remainder of the day?

I just established this hand-corn spot over the summer so I'm kinda learning by the seat of my pants here. Any input would be tremendously appreciated.

Absolutely a good time. I walk right past my feeder to get to my bow stand. The feeder is only there to get pictures (night pics) while I’m gone for extended periods and to keep does in the area.

If you’ve got some scrapes in the SMZ you’re in even better shape. Every buck I’ve ever killed around scrapes has been from Oct 10-20. Make sure your wind is good, forget the feeder even exists and go kill him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He is. probably high 40s. I showed pics to a friend and he said, " he looks a buck fiddy to me". Buck Fiddy just stuck. Sounds way better than Buck 46.

If the wind follows forecast, ill try him tomorrow morning..
          I like Fiddy much better

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
            Absolutely a good time. I walk right past my feeder to get to my bow stand. The feeder is only there to get pictures (night pics) while I’m gone for extended periods and to keep does in the area.

If you’ve got some scrapes in the SMZ you’re in even better shape. Every buck I’ve ever killed around scrapes has been from Oct 10-20. Make sure your wind is good, forget the feeder even exists and go kill him.

I'd have to concur with this and what GarGuy posted... Heck, I've had good bucks start rubs and scrapes around my hand corn piles after I put 'em out where previously other than traveling through, they had not posted any rut sign... I think it works both ways. If you can get in undetected, you're likely to have the opportunity to run an arra through a good buck! Good luck and post up those LDP's!!

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post

Thank you, sir. My mind is made up and the plan is to be set in motion. I have to say I don't yet know if there are any scrapes down there or not being that this is my first year with a stand in that bottom like that (though one did pop up along my route in during that first good cool snap in early September). But there are a lot of rubs, and the cameras don't lie. There's good bucks in there (now mind you they're not near as big as the one's on yall's lease, but they'll do ok LOL). The cool thing about it is I'm on a ridge right where the SMZ T's, so I'm basically at an intersection.

Comment

Thank you, sir. My mind is made up and the plan is to be set in motion. I have to say I don't yet know if there are any scrapes down there or not being that this is my first year with a stand in that bottom like that (though one did pop up along my route in during that first good cool snap in early September). But there are a lot of rubs, and the cameras don't lie. There's good bucks in there (now mind you they're not near as big as the one's on yall's lease, but they'll do ok LOL). The cool thing about it is I'm on a ridge right where the SMZ T's, so I'm basically at an intersection.

Forgive me, but what is SMZ?

Comment

Do you have to deal with very many hogs when you hand corn? Any pointers on high density hog areas and hand corning for deer? Hand corning at my lease works great if the hogs don't get to it first. Once they find it they pretty much don't leave until its gone though.

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
                    If I'm not mistaking its a Streamside Management Zone. Woods adjacent to a body of water like a creek, pond etc. Could make a great travel corridor/funnel. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
                    Last edited by jjaimes; 10-12-2017, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjaimes View Post
                      If I'm not mistaking its a Streamside Management Zone. Woods adjacent to a body of water like a creek, pond etc. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
                      [emoji106]
                      They can not cut to close to a creek or drainage so there is always cover there , usually big pines and old oaks. Good travel routes.
                      They leave it to help with erosion

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by BigThicketBoy; 10-12-2017, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Apretz View Post
                        Do you have to deal with very many hogs when you hand corn? Any pointers on high density hog areas and hand corning for deer? Hand corning at my lease works great if the hogs don't get to it first. Once they find it they pretty much don't leave until its gone though.
                        KAP[emoji41]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Apretz View Post
                          My issue as well. We used to be able to hand corn 5-7 days in advance of a hunt. Now we are lucky to have corn left after 24-36hrs. We have to corn the day before and cross our fingers. But the big deer do like hand corn. I'll say this year we've stayed away from the feeder and checking pics there. Have wireless camera there that allows this and only need to fill feeder every couple months. We've had mature deer there early and often in daylite.

Hoping the food plots take off and help us out with more food.

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post

Thanks for asking, I wanted to but was hoping someone else would, now I feel bad and can't let you go down alone lol

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                              Thanks for asking, I wanted to but was hoping someone else would, now I feel bad and can't let you go down alone lol

Haha! No problem.

Comment

Sounds like the juice to me. Careful how you go in and out and you’ll get him killed there.

Comment

Working...
                                X