Best RV replacement refrigerator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dometic RM2652 refrigerator recently went out in my 2006 Starcraft Travel Star QBS30 bumper pull. I have found a new one locally at a cost of about $1000 but I'm considering another option for replacement. A couple of different guys who have RV repair businesses are encouraging me to go back with a conventional refrigerator that's larger than the original yet small enough to fit into the space, with some modifications. It's also less than half the cost of the Dometic. They reportedly install these a lot and highly recommend them.

I don't have a problem with this if the replacement is of really good quality, but I do not want to start cutting on my cabinets and framework in order to install a inferior product. The ones they are recommending don't really have the best reviews online, according to my research. The Dometic seems to be good for about 10 years or more and of course it's capable of operating on propane as well as electricity, which is not a huge selling point with me, but it's something to consider.

Do you guys have any experience with this swap? What can you share with me on this subject?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Tagged for info.

Comment

I can only tell you that I have owned a bunch of Rv's over the years and I have had a lot of problems with the ammonia rv frigs. I hate them but if you are going to be on the road or off the grid then they are needed. If not don't pay the extra money for one. Good Luck!

Comment

a lot of the new motorhomes are going with standard home fridges. If you don't use the LP option I would go with a conventional fridge.

Comment

I got a deer lease camper with no fridge in it, I picked up a used 4.3 cu ft and it only lasted a few months. I'm going today to buy this new 7.5 cu ft,for $200, we have electric at the camp so I'm not worried about one that uses propane. we will see how it works. The only problem is you have to get something that fits through the door.

Attached Files
          Last edited by Bassdeer; 10-12-2017, 08:15 AM.

Comment

The 6 cubic foot Dometic refrigerator that came in my camper measures 24" deep x 23 3/4" wide x 53 3/4" tall.

I'm fairly limited to these dimensions except that there's plenty of room at the top to go with a taller model.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
              I got a deer lease camper with no fridge in it, I picked up a used 4.3 cu ft and it only lasted a few months. I'm going today to buy this new 7.5 cu ft,for $200, we have electric at the camp so I'm not worried about one that uses propane. we will see how it works. The only problem is you have to get something that fits through the door.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...1&d=1507817218
              True. It also needs to be small enough to be able to cool the motor. I bought the one you have pictured and it lasted about 2 years and the same was true for a lease buddy that did the same thing. When I replaced it I went with one that is what you would call a dorm fridge. I never used all of the space in the larger one anyway being that I also always brought a cooker with me. On the smaller one I bought I think I paid 79.00.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

I tell you what I use the heck out of the propane fridge in my trailer, love not having to run the generator constantly and still make ice and such. If you never ran it on propane before then I definitely wouldn't hesitate to replace with a conventional.

Comment

I'm having the 9.9 cubic ft Magic Chef installed today while I'm at work.

I hope I like it.

Comment

I use propane about as much as electric when on hunting trips and on long trips

Comment

My 06 dometic passed a month ago. I put a 4.3 ft3 fridge from lowes. Abt 150 bucks. Love it.

Comment

Another option....a rebuilt unit....

Comment

I never use the propane for anything but the water heater and occasionally the stove. I'm normally working long hours, 7 days a week out of this particular camper so even filling the bottles can be a inconvenience. I have a Honda EU2000 companion model generator that I plan to pair up with another one so that will supply my power needs when electricity isn't available.

Comment

Have you looked into having it repaired? The RV units are pretty simple and have zero moving parts.

My understanding it could be as simple as a blown control fuse, bad control board, maybe a bad heating element, etc. other than that there just isn’t much else that can fail. Also check for a tripped breaker as there is a plug in the outside compartment that powers the heating element and control board when on shore power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              Have you looked into having it repaired? The RV units are pretty simple and have zero moving parts.

My understanding it could be as simple as a blown control fuse, bad control board, maybe a bad heating element, etc. other than that there just isn’t much else that can fail. Also check for a tripped breaker as there is a plug in the outside compartment that powers the heating element and control board when on shore power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              Yeah man, I did all the routine trouble shooting but it was a relative no brainer as it was total toast.

It's all good now, as I have a fridge that's almost twice the size for far less than half the cost.

Comment

Working...
                              X