No announcement yet.

Your arrow choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Victory Vap 250 (full length), Blazer vanes, standard nock, 95 grain outsert, 125 gr rage hypodermic (going to switch to trocars soon). Shot a bullet hole through paper first shot.

Comment

I doubt they understand the topic was traditional section. However I shoot 400s in my Hoyt Carbon Spyder as well. 60lbs draw weight and various hundred grain heads.

That said I recognized the poster and answered accordingly.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey understand that he was using a compound but have seen people trying to shoot blazer vaned arrows off the shelf of a recurve, arrow flight was erratic to say the least.

In the compound I am shooting Gold Tip Pierce 400gr for several years it was Victory Vap 400s as well.

Comment

58" Palmer "Trad Slam" Recurve
          50 pounds @ 27"
          Easton Axis Traditionals 400 spine (29.5" with 75gr inserts)
          Palmer Extreme Cut Broadheads (160 grains)
          15 strand Fury string
          (3) 5" wild turkey feathers
          reflective wrap.
          572 grain total weight

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
            have seen people trying to shoot blazer vaned arrows off the shelf of a recurve, arrow flight was erratic to say the least.
            Paging Rick Barbee... Rick Barbee... you are needed in the arrow choice thread.

Rick and a few others shoot vanes off the shelf on a recurve... it requires very special attention to make sure your dynamic spine allows you to get clearance when the arrow passes the shelf at the back end.

But yeah, feathers make the whole process a little more forgiving and give you more options.

Vanes are, generally speaking, the exception to the rule.

Comment

Swamprabbit, I know it can be done and have shot with a couple guys that can, but they are the exceptions that understand dynamic spine and tuning arrows to the bow.

I deal with lots of newby archers that have no idea of what spine even is, sometimes forgetting the level of expertise on here.

Comment

Spine is what you have to have when your wife or your boss wants you to stay home or work on the weekend and you want to go hunting. [emoji106]

Comment

For my main recurve I shoot
                  Beman ics Bowhunter arrows
                  32”
                  100 grain insert
                  .400 spine
                  125 grain heads
                  My backup/spot & stalk bow shoots
                  X3 hunter blackout arrows
                  .400 spine
                  32”
                  75 grain insert
                  135 grain heads
                  Both are around 500-510 grains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

DRT that kind of spine can leave a man without a job and sleeping in the doghouse. LOL

Comment

Quest thumper .325 spine tapered shaft.
                      27 7/8 arrow length
                      200 grain insert and glue on head adapter
                      190 grain meathead broadhead
                      4" Feathers
                      Total arrow eight is around 680.

Bow is 68lb @ 27 inch draw. Drycreek Archery recurve approximately 180FPS

These arrows come in at 29.31 FOC.

Comment

^ Does it chop them in Half? 680 grain arrow traveling 180 fps with a 190 Meathead... Sounds pretty serious.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          Paging Rick Barbee... Rick Barbee... you are needed in the arrow choice thread.

Rick and a few others shoot vanes off the shelf on a recurve... it requires very special attention to make sure your dynamic spine allows you to get clearance when the arrow passes the shelf at the back end.

But yeah, feathers make the whole process a little more forgiving and give you more options.

Vanes are, generally speaking, the exception to the rule.
                          Last time this came up Rick wasnt shooting off the shelf and I dont think he was using blazers but I could be wrong about that. He had built up the rest using dowel rod to get the clearance needed for vanes. I know it could be done but shooting blazers off the shelf will take a crazy amount of skill and luck to pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                            ^ Does it chop them in Half? 680 grain arrow traveling 180 fps with a 190 Meathead... Sounds pretty serious.
                            That FPS is probably incorrect that was chrono'd without the extra 100 grain adapters and only 145 grain field point. So I'm sure it is 20 fps slower with this current set up.

Comment

From what I can tell Rick doesn't leave much to "luck" when it comes to his shooting.

Comment

After playing with the Stu Miller Calculator Rick Posted and reading through this thread, I am backing off the 100 grain brass and re-tuning myself. After a series of shots the last few days I have noticed a bit flatter shots and still not seeing any flight issues with reduced nose weight.
                                Thanks for all the responses.

Comment

Working...
                                X