What do you ride? (Mountain Bike)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
    For a cheaper full suspension bike, wait til the new year models come out, and you may get a deal on last years model. Mine listed for $2695, I bought it for $1650.

If you go this way look for better quality shock and forks. Not springs.

Also, get a bike that fits. This will go further than suspension for comfort.
    What did you get?

Comment

A GT Sensor Elite. Have not been on it in a year. Has rockshok air fork in front, a rockshok rear air shock, sram x9 derailleurs, and avid hydraulic disc brakes. The sensor lowest level full suspension lists for around $1200, but components lack quality. Spend the same on a hardtail and get better components. I got the full suspension to help smooth out the back impacts, but at my age the bike is capable of way more than I am.

Comment

Originally posted by BowTech2010 View Post
        Is there such a thing as a decent full suspension under 1k?

Look at Minnesota Framed fat tire bike. I have one with out suspension and I like it. I think you can get a "3.0" or whatever last years model for around 1K.

Comment

Still have my 1999 Specialized Stumpjumper that I used to race. It hasn't seen my butt in a while. I need to break it out and hit some trails. jack Brooks or Memorial Park if they're still there. I remember the old Ho Chi Men trail before the River Oaks crowd had it demolished.
          Attached Files

Comment

29 full bounce

2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29'er. Comes stock as a 1x10. Running an oval 34T up front and 11-36 rear. She's been from the Mexican border to the Canadian border. Eh Line in Marquette, MI and Horny Toad in Houghton, MI were the only times I've wanted a different bike (those trails call for all-mountain or free-ride). Did you know there's a pretty decent mtb trail in Midland? New one in F-burg, too.

Race on Specialized Fast Track and Renegade, training tires are a Conti X-King and Geax AKA.

Actually raced the local weeknight CX on that bike tonight. Course is getting dry and loose so I figured the extra grip would pay off. After watching several guys biff in turns I was glad of the decision. About the same result as last week aboard the Crux. Love the Brain on front and rear shocks (think of it as an active lockout). Have done XC, STXC, CX, and Mtb Biathlon on this bike

Sub 1k? Used all day. The used market is soft and starting prices are ~1/2 of retail. Just look for air-sprung fork/shock and hydraulic disc. Lockouts/Brain/similar are nice if you're racing, otherwise not necessary. 1x or 2x10 will probably save you a bit vs x11 or x12, as well.

2-3 years ago I'd say look for a used 26'er, but that market has about dried up and you're getting into some pretty old bikes. However the 650B/27.5 trend has led to some nice used 29'ers. Oh and 650B/27.5 is dumb. 29 is better and faster.

https://youtu.be/ru2Dpe1LkNU You're welcome.

Comment

Giant Anthem X Advanced 29er

Comment

Mountain Cycle Rumble

It's a hard tail free ride frame.

King hubs
                King headset
                Mavic rims ('old school' 26" rims, or so I'm told)
                Azonic cranks
                Shimano 636 pedals
                Fox Vanilla 130mm fork
                Thompson seatpost
                Race Face stem
                Easton bars
                XT rear shifter
                Avid disc brakes
                1x9

It's a pig. I built it when I was breaking a lot of parts (freeride and urban assault). Now I don't ride much, just the occasional xc ride at the local trail.

I'd trade it off for another sweet single speed in a heartbeat. I miss that so much. Riding was so much more fun on a single speed.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau
                Last edited by Gummi Bear; 09-20-2017, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Niner Air 9 RDO

Comment

Niner Air9c w/ lefty conversion SRAM XX
                    Niner Air9c SRAM X0
                    BMC Trailfox 01 SRAM XO
                    Orbea Alma SRAM X9

Comment

Cannondale SL2

Comment

This thread is bad for me. I have been trying to cut down on spending, but want a quality bike very bad. Moving to a property that has a 2 mile dirt track, so it will get some use. Trying to stay under $600, though this is why I am still looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                          Mountain Cycle Rumble

It's a hard tail free ride frame.

King hubs
                          King headset
                          Mavic rims ('old school' 26" rims, or so I'm told)
                          Azonic cranks
                          Shimano 636 pedals
                          Fox Vanilla 130mm fork
                          Thompson seatpost
                          Race Face stem
                          Easton bars
                          XT rear shifter
                          Avid disc brakes
                          1x9

It's a pig. I built it when I was breaking a lot of parts (freeride and urban assault). Now I don't ride much, just the occasional xc ride at the local trail.

I'd trade it off for another sweet single speed in a heartbeat. I miss that so much. Riding was so much more fun on a single speed.

Henry David Thoreau
                          I have King hubs, headset and bottom brackets on my Stumpy. They are pretty sweet. I went with Hadley hubs on my Transition Bandit29 and they are the shiznit.

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
                            I have King hubs, headset and bottom brackets on my Stumpy. They are pretty sweet. I went with Hadley hubs on my Transition Bandit29 and they are the shiznit.

Never owned any Hadley before. They are nice.

My favorite ones (which I regret selling) were the polished high flange Paul hubs with a White freewheel that were on my best singlespeed.

I briefly had a set of White Industries hubs, and sold that bike shortly after building it.

Most of my other bikes had XTR, except my downhill bike, which had XT rear disc, and a RM QR20 front.

I had 13 bikes in my spare bedroom when I got married. I rode almost every day, now I'm down to one bike, and I seldom ride.

Henry David Thoreau
                            Last edited by Gummi Bear; 09-21-2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ispdnxs View Post
                              This thread is bad for me. I have been trying to cut down on spending, but want a quality bike very bad. Moving to a property that has a 2 mile dirt track, so it will get some use. Trying to stay under $600, though this is why I am still looking.
                              I paid $1800 in 2000. Of course that was for a race worthy bike with Shimano XTR. You can get a great ride for less but beware of bikes loaded with garbage components. Don't be afraid of used either, but don't pay a new bike price. There are very few bicycles I can think of whose price appreciated.

Comment

Trek XCaliber 9 hardtail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X