Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knapping, all around general discussions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That nice, you have your own source for good flint.

Comment

Originally posted by Neuse View Post
      That nice, you have your own source for good flint.
      I am very lucky! I have one place that is a 50 minute drive(deer lease) and then this other deer lease near junction which is a 3 hour drive. The closer place has four or five different qualities of chert from not to good to real good and its all in medium to larger pieces with minimal freeze cracks. Junction is high quality material but is full of freeze cracks and mostly smaller pieces.

Comment

I am a Michigan knapper, been doing it for 5 years or so. Killed one deer with one of my Flintridge stone points. Wife and I are in New Mexico right now but heading to Texas at the end of the month to visit a Marine buddy who was shot and paralyzed in Viet Nam. He lives just north of San Antonio. Will be out looking for rock in Texas until I get thrown off the river bank, lol.

Be careful when cooking Texas rock. I use a turkey roaster and beach sand. I turn it on and turn it up 50 degrees every hour until it is on high and leave it go for round 6 hours and then turn it off and let it cool down for a few days not removing the lid. Texas rock will get real brittle and break like a piece of hard candy some times.

Google Art of Ishi, he is my teacher. Also check out you tube, Mike Cook (art of ishi) as he has some real good knapping vids.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread as I really enjoy making driveway gravel.

Comment

Jon, make sure and give me a shout when you get to Texas!
          I think I have over cooked a batch or two! I've been too busy to do any knapping this past two weeks. Sure do wish I could get back to that last piece I started while at my deer lease!.

Comment

Very informative thread !

Comment

Will do Bassmatt.

Don't forget the Fredrickburg knap in. It is a very good one and is held in March. Been there a few times BUT wife and I will be back in cold country when it takes place.

Comment

Sorry I have been busy the last several days and haven't been able to post much let alone do any knapping! I did snaps some pics...
                Lets talk tools. I use "modern" copper tools and hammerstones some. All my tools are homebuilt.
                First a quick pic of where I knapp, my back porch. It faces south and the sun sets nicely in the evenings making it a relatively warm and protected place to knapp in the early spring, fall and winter.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20170123_211315.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	24484917
                Two of the basic tools needed to start from a larger rough piece are your Bopper and abrader. My abrader is a piece of busted up common grinding wheel and other grinding wheels of various coarseness.

Name:	20170125_134327.jpg
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	24484918
                The abrader is like sandpaper on steroids for stone. We use them to remove areas of stone to thicken and strengthen platforms. Please ask questions if you have any.
                Next Boppers, used to strike the platform to remove flakes, both large and small. My boppers are basic copper pipe caps that I have melted and filled half way with lead then attached to some type of handle. You can see I have wood and PVC pipe handles. The largest is 2" all the way down to 1/2", basically bigger tool bigger flakes of material removed- smaller bopper smaller flakes.

Name:	20170125_133809.jpg
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	24484919

Comment

I think Jason uses some antler tools maybe he'll post some on his tools?

Comment

Two of my earlier points, a glass display shelf hafted to a faded whitetail antler. Not a very pretty or good piece but it is one of my firsts.

Name:	20170123_202302.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	24484920
                    Next a generic knife blade from some type of a red glass. This one turned out pretty good with some nice looking flake scars?

Name:	20170123_205744.jpg
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	24484921

Name:	20170123_205805.jpg
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	24484922

Comment

great finds

Comment

I'm jealous of all you talented knappers. I've tried on multiple occasions to learn this discipline and one of two things always gets me - availability of knapable material, or my own horrendous coordination..

Comment

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
                          I'm jealous of all you talented knappers. I've tried on multiple occasions to learn this discipline and one of two things always gets me - availability of knapable material, or my own horrendous coordination..
                          As for the knappable material, there are several videos showing how to knap the bottom of a bottle and floor tiles - easy to come by.

As for you coordination, or lack thereof, you're on your on.

Comment

Bassmat, that red blade is a nice lanceolate type blade. One of my favorite's to knap because I don't have to try and notch it, lol

Comment

Originally posted by weminuche View Post
                              great finds
                              Not finds, these are pieces we have done.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Stewart View Post
                                Bassmat, that red blade is a nice lanceolate type blade. One of my favorite's to knap because I don't have to try and notch it, lol
                                Thanks! I'm not to sharp on point types.

Comment

Working...
                                X