New car buying saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New car buying saga

Not an ordeal...yet, but I am posting this in case it helps someone in the future. Maybe this is common knowledge to some, but we’ve been pretty surprised, a little perplexed, and a little frustrated by our recent attempts to buy a new vehicle. If anyone has any suggestions, we’re all ears!

My wife wants a Honda Odyssey. So, we set out to learn about them, figure out the color and trim and price range and all that. We just so happened to start shopping right at the time the 2019’s came out, but also right before the end of the month and end of the second quarter. The model my wife wants is the EX-L with navigation and rear entertainment. We were quoted $39,000 drive out by SEVERAL dealers around June 25-28. MSRP is $40,455.

We did the TrueCar thing and were bombarded by offers, which based on our previous experience buying Fords, we assumed to be the STARTING point for negotiation. Ive always been able to get Ford to deal further than the internet price, so I expected the same for my wife’s van. I called around separately from TrueCar offers, and I also quickly realized that anyone calling or walking in to a Honda dealership was offered the TrueCar price. Therefore, TrueCar wasn’t anything special, but just another advertising method...and it certainly wasn’t going to be the price I accepted.

Here’s where it gets weird.
    (1) Not only, does Honda apparently NOT budge off the internet price, but ALL of the supposed “drive out” prices we’ve been quoted do not include the $900-$2200 in bull**** dealer add on crap. This is 100% across the board at every single Honda dealer we’ve spoken with or called. They basically jack the price back up to MSRP. For example, Keating Honda in Conroe put on three different protection packages and a SECOND GPS. Instead of $40,455 they wanted $43,625. I told the guy up front that the $3,000 they added were of zero value to us and that we would not consider it in our negotiations. It was a very short discussion that resulted in politely walking out.
    (2) Not a single Honda dealership has followed up with us, called back, or inquired in any way, and this is both on 2019’s AND 2018’s. I woulda thought they’d at least halfway try to deal on 2018’s.
    (3) The TruceCar price we were offered June 28 is $1,800-$2,500 less than the price we are now being quoted. I assume this is end of the month and quarter vs beginning of the month pricing strategy. Yesterday I called the sales manager out on it while trying to come to a deal, and he basically shrugged his shoulders and said they weren’t considering our offer ($39,000 drive out) and good luck. He did slip up and say they try to average 5% markup on new car sales for the month, but that 5% profit is over $1,000 less than the price they wouldn’t budge from. This tells me that buying a car at the beginning of the month is front-loaded with more than 5% profit and that we are done car shopping for three weeks.

Maybe it’s Honda, maybe it’s missing the opportunity for end of the quarter sales goals, but now is apparently not the time to be shopping for a Honda Odyssey. Fortunately, we’re not in a bind. We are going to check prices and dealer flexibility at the end of this month, and I’ll report back. If I don’t get the deal I know I can get, we’ll wait until the end of this quarter and report back. Heck, if it takes until the end of the year, I will do that, but one thing I will not do is pay the **** MSRP.

Honda makes good vehicles and are proud of their prices.

Comment

From what I've seen and heard a lot of dealers are going to a fixed price and not negotiating. It's their new pricing model/strstegy.

Comment

Yep, buying Honda and Toyota is nothing like buying Ford etc etc. Little to haggle room. No massive rebates. All dealerships are required to put on an extra package. No special Honda sales month.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
          From what I've seen and heard a lot of dealers are going to a fixed price and not negotiating. It's their new pricing model/strstegy.
          I wish more dealers were like this. Just put the price on the sticker and get rid of the unnecessary BS.

Comment

We are a honda family and will be buying a 19 pilot soon. They are a pain to deal with because they can sell the vehicle without coming off the price. I think we are looking for a slightly used one st Carmax or a similar dealership and skipping the new this go around.

Comment

I have bought my last 2 accords at the same dealership and got quotes from True Car as well. I fill out the form and then ignore all texts and emails for at least 2 weeks. I ignored them for a month 5 years ago and showed up to trade unannounced. The salesman asked if I had gotten an email from them and showed me his computer screen with an email that was 1600.00 less than what I was going to offer them. I have also gotten emails and text from dealerships that come off of the sticker slightly. Be patient is my advice. Here is what I paid for my accord a few month ago plus the dealer add on`s that were included in the price.

Honda Of Ft. Worth

MSRP: $24,460.00
              Internet Sales Price: $21,398.00
              Drive Out: $23,140.87

The above Drive Out quote INCLUDES the following complimentary accessories & services:
              1. Destination fees
              2. Window tint & pinstripes with lifetime warranty
              3. Nitrogen Tire Inflation
              4. Genuine Honda Protection Package (wheel locks, splash guards, & trunk tray)
              5. Free Car Washes for life
              6. First Oil Change is free
              7. 24-hour Honda Roadside Assistance
              8. Tax, title, & license

Comment

I don't buy hondas. But my way is to det err ermine what I want. Get price from several dealers. Negotiate with best offer. Walk in and buy. Being too busy to walk in for sales pitch helps

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Call our TBH Honda guy!! He goes by Adnoh. Get it??

He runs Howdy Honda in Austin

TJ Nissen. Great dude. 512-443-4300

Comment

When I last bought my wife's Accord EXL I used Edmunds.com and requested a quote from several dealers. I got an offer from Spring Branch Honda that I took to our local dealer and asked if they would match it. They couldn't even come close. They told me that it HAD to be for a 4cyl model. I even called Spring Branch and asked if it was a 6cyl and would that truly be my out the door price. I did this on speaker with my local sales manager standing right there. Again he stated that if I went to the other dealer they would change things and there was no way they would sell it for that. Well what do you know they didn't sell it for the price quoted. I was still able to haggle another $500 off the quote, out the door.
                    Keep at it and there are deals to be had. I don't remember how much off MSRP I would up getting, it's been 4 years.

Comment

I live in Austin and bought from Fernandez Honda in San Antonio. Austin Dealers would not budge and had all the add on's inflating the drive out price. I bought 1500-2000 less from Fernandez. Cut the deal on the phone as they had exactly what I wanted and gave me the best price. Best car buying experience I've ever had on a new vehicle. Drove down, signed the papers and drove home. About an hours time at the dealer.

Comment

So your going back to a Ford SUV now it sounds like. Haha

Comment

Dont even get me started....suffice it to say they are all crooks. I hate dealing with them because their sole purpose is not to do business like honest people ( a mutually beneficial relationship ), it is to screw you as hard as they can.

Comment

If you aren't dead set on buying new, CarGurus is a pretty good website to find a lightly used car while comparing prices for your area. We're shopping for a Pilot right now and have decided to go this route.

Comment

Here you go

Buy, sell or trade-in your car entirely online. No haggle, no pressure. Easy online financing available. Cars delivered straight to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X