Vehicle searches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
    Ok I will play. What about an open air search with a K-9?
    I still feel like that’s a violation of rights without probable cause. Seems like that’s just fishing for someone to mess with who’s otherwise minding their own business.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
      I let em search mine all the time, no way they find my hidey hole of smack and I keep wrapped up in scentlock clothes and spray it with dead down wind, even the dogs can’t smell it!!!

[ATTACH]908207[/ATTACH]
      Ha! Scentlock and Dead Down Wind won't work with the dog. Trust me, I know. Ozonics- hmmm....maybe.

Originally posted by El Coop View Post
      I value my fourth amendment as much as my first,second and all the others. I will not allow a search of my car or my home without a warrant. I don't do anything to give anyone probable cause.
      I have a dog, don't need a warrant if he alerts.

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
      I always understood the law to mean that one doesn’t have the rights on a public road they do in a residence. No warrant needed. It’s public livery and you chose to use.
      There is a difference in home and vehicle. Vehicle needs probable cause, but not necessarily a warrant. Home needs a warrant.

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
      Ok I will play. What about an open air search with a K-9?
      That's my bailiwick! Dog alert IS probable cause, no warrant needed.

Comment

These threads make me chuckle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
          I still feel like that’s a violation of rights without probable cause. Seems like that’s just fishing for someone to mess with who’s otherwise minding their own business.
          Courts, all the way up to the Supreme Court, have upheld a K9 alert IS probable cause.

Just a little info, K9's training and documentation is very important and can be subpoenaed into court. Every time I deploy my dog it is documented. In training my dog has an accuracy rate of 98.8% last time I checked. In the field accuracy rate is about 86%. He only alerts to the odors of marijuana, heroin, cocaine, and methamphetamine, all things that it is illegal for anyone in Texas to possess. That's why his alert is PC to search the vehicle, and no, I don't need a warrant.

Think I had 5 sniffs last night with 3 alerts. Found dope in all 3 vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
            Courts, all the way up to the Supreme Court, have upheld a K9 alert IS probable cause.

Just a little info, K9's training and documentation is very important and can be subpoenaed into court. Every time I deploy my dog it is documented. In training my dog has an accuracy rate of 98.8% last time I checked. In the field accuracy rate is about 86%. He only alerts to the odors of marijuana, heroin, cocaine, and methamphetamine, all things that it is illegal for anyone in Texas to possess. That's why his alert is PC to search the vehicle, and no, I don't need a warrant.

GE
            Good for you, man. That pot is really running us down....

I’m just not really a big government type. I don’t really care if someone does “dope”. If they’re not driving impaired, it’s not my business. But hey, my wife works, so what do I know?

Comment

Nope, No, Nope....I was an officer for 30 years, of people said no, okay then.

I worked as a UC narc for years, and one assignment was to get stopped at a particular spot by a particular officer and have my vehicle searched. Needless to say, the officer isnt working anymore afyer the "search." Not going to into anymore though.....

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I've told my fiasco fubar search here on tbh about 3 years ago...i'll need some time to psyche myself up. It was a fiasco le will appreciate but not in the mood to deal with it now.

Would be interesting to compare opinions then & now...give me some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                  GE
                  Good for you, man. That pot is really running us down....

I’m just not really a big government type. I don’t really care if someone does “dope”. If they’re not driving impaired, it’s not my business. But hey, my wife works, so what do I know?
                  Law ENFORCEMENT officials don't make laws. They enforce them. Opinions, everyone has them....

Comment

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
                    Tell that to the TSA when you choose to fly. Tell it to the security guard when you choose to enter a concert venue or stadium.
                    the TSA have a reason to search you as you are boarding a plane and it is a legal law they cann even though it isnt very effective, security guard at a concert is private not government employed and it is private property so its not the same issue

Comment

Sure. Search away. Let’s get on with our day.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post

So what if you are part of the 14% that the dog alerts on and there are no drugs in the car? If you tear the car up searching and don't find anything is the city/state responsible for the damage or is it time for the driver to lawyer up?

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                          Nope, No, Nope....I was an officer for 30 years, of people said no, okay then.

I worked as a UC narc for years, and one assignment was to get stopped at a particular spot by a particular officer and have my vehicle searched. Needless to say, the officer isnt working anymore afyer the "search." Not going to into anymore though.....

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
                          This is why I say NO

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                            So what if you are part of the 14% that the dog alerts on and there are no drugs in the car? If you tear the car up searching and don't find anything is the city/state responsible for the damage or is it time for the driver to lawyer up?
                            I've always been curious about this myself

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                              If I have the spare time I’ll screw with them if not then sure go ahead. Never gonna find something illegal anyway and highly doubt there’s gonna be a good reason to search mine
                              so you prefer to itentionally waste their time because you think it is funny?

Comment

I've only had one cop ask to search my vehicle. So I let him. He wasn't and wouldn't even now find anything illegal in my vehicle and I didn't have anywhere in particular to go so I said go for it. I figured maybe he'd spread the word about me that I'm good to go. Plus I couldn't really blame him. I look like someone that would have drugs or a dead body in the trunk of a car.

Comment

Working...
                                X