X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
    .25-06 similar?
    recoil is quite a bit more than .243, closer to .308 and .270 than a .243
    I know that it can seem that way shooting heavy .270s vs. youth .243s, but if you believe the ballistics actually support this claim, please post some numbers.

From a quick check on standard loads, recoil energy in ft/lbs... .243:12, 25-06:14, and .270:19.5

But I actually wasn't saying they were similar in terms of recoil - they shoot bullets of similar size... and much smaller than .308/.270 bullets.

Comment

25-06
      6.5 creedmore

Comment

6.5 cm
        7mm-08
        7x57 loved mine when I was a kid, wish I still had it.

Comment

is 6.5 cm or .260 ammo easy to come by?

Comment

Originally posted by bmc09 View Post
            is 6.5 cm or .260 ammo easy to come by?
            6.5cm yes, 260 not so much. Neither as easy as 7-08 by the way the ballistics of 7-08 are better than 6.5cm but its not as "cool" as the 6.5cm.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
              6.5cm yes, 260 not so much. Neither as easy as 7-08 by the way the ballistics of 7-08 are better than 6.5cm but its not as "cool" as the 6.5cm.

I’m no 6.5 CM fan but why do you say 7-08 ballistics are better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                Better? How?

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                I’m no 6.5 CM fan but why do you say 7-08 ballistics are better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Edit - Jinx!

Also, Midway lists 43 6.5 CM ammo choices and only 33 for 7mm-08, which just ekes out 260 Rem with 32. Given the skyrocketing popularity of 6.5 CM, most would expect that gap to only get wider in the next couple of years.
                Last edited by Balcones_Walker; 02-15-2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

All three of my kids cut their teeth on Mohawk 600 ( of course) in 243. They had leupold 3x9 vxII and I had a Mohawk 600 in 308 rigged the same way. I was in the stand with them so I just took the 308 instead. After they had shot a few pigs I told them. Kind of sneaky I know.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
                    All three of my kids cut their teeth on Mohawk 600 ( of course) in 243. They had leupold 3x9 vxII and I had a Mohawk 600 in 308 rigged the same way. I was in the stand with them so I just took the 308 instead. After they had shot a few pigs I told them. Kind of sneaky I know.
                    that's just good parenting!!

Comment

Dang hard to beat a regular old .270 Win. and PLENTY of ammo choices too. Even have managed recoil loads available but likely won't need it. Just shoot 130 grain standard loads and you're good easy to 300 yards with a 1.5 inch high at a hunert... hard to beat it for flat trajectory. There's a real good reason it's been one of the most popular "deer cartridges" for over 50 years... Ain't no need to fix something that ain't broke... If you want to reduce recoil even more, get you a gas operated semi-auto... My mom shot a BAR .270 for years...

Comment

270 with reduced recoil ammo and when he gets bigger just change ammo. Great all around gun

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                          270 with reduced recoil ammo and when he gets bigger just change ammo. Great all around gun
                          Totally agree. My wife shoots regular loads and is deadly.

BP

Comment

7mm-08 vote here, but I like short guns

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post

I studied this when I was looking to move my oldest up from 243.

270 reduced recoil actually carry less kinetic energy than std 243 loads so it is a step back not forward.

Comment

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
                                260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55, 7-08

What he said^^^^^

But not in that order

Comment

Working...
                                X