No announcement yet.

Couple lease rules being questioned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it were a lease I were on, I'd say Immediate family is Wife and kids college age. Any kids older than that can pay their own way. No way on splitting membership.

Comment

Immediate Family - family that live under the same roof

Split Memberships - absolutely not

Guests - our old lease stated...as a member, you are only permitted to shoot so many deer. If you bring a guest you MUST sit with each other. No more than one gun goes out and no more than one deer comes in. The member is responsible for whatever happens between.

Comment

No to splitting spots. Your asking for more trouble down the road. I’m okay with family or guest hunting. As long as they don’t abuse it.

Comment

I agree with Smart. I love watching my kids shoot deer. I get more excited for them than they get shooting the deer. Having said that let them bring their kids as long as they are on the parents insurance. Which I think is as long as they are enrolled in school or the age of 24. Anybody else can come out after/before deer season and shoot pigs or varmints.

Splitting a spot would be a H3LL NO. I see this causing lots of problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
            Split membership wouldn't bother me either, as long as they understand what their allotment of animals is.
            The two big hangups I have on split memberships are.

1) on our place, the guest has to have his member present to access the property....or ask another member to "chaperone" them. A split membership would allow full access to another member. That's one more person a leaseboss or landowner has to account for. No need to add an extra personality in the mix with an opinion. Its OK if he's a good one but hell if he's a bad one. I'd rather not take the chance.

2) Split membership would allow for some ooops when they are in the field together in separate blinds. Our place is one trophy, one mgmt deer and two(sometimes three) does. What happens if they both shoot a trophy on the same hunt or have one deer left on their allotment and come in with one each?. Yes it is is rare, but it could happen. I'd prefer to not to have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Davoh View Post
              It's threads like these that make me hate the whole concept of group leases.
              They are great when you have good folks. Good folks and minimizing the possibilities of problems like this thread is trying to accomplish are great starts.

Comment

For me, 'family' is wife and kids (living at home).
                Split memberships are a big 'no'. The worst thing about it to me is the potential for added pressure - it could double the activity on the lease for no more money.

Comment

I wouldn’t even consider that split membership. Based on the replies here, I think you get the point. Group leases are great if you recruit and maintain eight people. A prospective member seeking a split membership is not the right people.

Comment

If money's not the issue for them why not pay the full membership for his father?

Comment

"his dad and another members dad want to split a membership."

Sounds like 2 Dads who you dont want to hunt as a guest with their Son's want to be able to.

This isn't 2 random buddies splitting a spot, or anything like that from what has been said.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        I'm almost 49 years old (next month) and I enjoy watching other folks shoot a deer as much as I enjoy shooting them....especially kids or a new hunter.
                        I'm a new Hunter �� jk...but I do love your attitude about it, Smart

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                        Kick him off and I’ll take his spot and it will just be me and my fiancĂ©.

Easy enough and everyone stays happy.

We want and need a lease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        We live together and are getting married in less than 2 months so we are immediate family.

No worries here. I just wanted to make sure to let the op know that I’d be following the rules! [emoji1303]

Again, another reason to tell that guy to pound sand and I’ll happily send you money today for his place.

Sweet! That’s awesome. Put me at the top of the list if there is anything available!

For the love of Pete, kick the dude off and let DapperDan get on the lease so he'll shut up just razzing you, DD

Comment

Originally posted by Gil67 View Post
                          If money's not the issue for them why not pay the full membership for his father?
                          Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                          "his dad and another members dad want to split a membership."

Sounds like 2 Dads who you dont want to hunt as a guest with their Son's want to be able to.

This isn't 2 random buddies splitting a spot, or anything like that from what has been said.
                          This is what they come up with after we explained the "immediate family rule "

We had several members want to add guys to bring cost down. There were a few that didn't, so I didn't add people. Now the ones that didn't want more people on want this split membership, to me it's still adding members. They are trying to circumvent the family only guest rule.

To me tha that's 13 members regardless, I don't care they claim the 2 dads "may only come 1 time a year each" we had full paying members last year that didn't come at all so that makes no difference to me.

I'm about to send money back to anyone who don't want to follow the only rule on the place.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Split memberships - No way. As stated many times in this thread, just too much headache.

Family member guest - Just me, but I prefer it to be the lease member's dependents or as someone else stated, perhaps extend that out to children that are still on their parents insurance, which can be up through 26.

My only deal is that at some point, another spot should just be purchased. I wouldn't want for a lease member to be bringing his 30 year old son; who is probably more than capable of buying their own spot.

As stated, all leases are different and there isn't a one size fits all set of rules. My problem with a liberal guest policy is sometimes these guest get to take advantage of "shared" areas or items; such as beds in a cabin that other paying lease members might want. It's not always just about one lease member's allotment.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              The two big hangups I have on split memberships are.

1) on our place, the guest has to have his member present to access the property....or ask another member to "chaperone" them. A split membership would allow full access to another member. That's one more person a leaseboss or landowner has to account for. No need to add an extra personality in the mix with an opinion. Its OK if he's a good one but hell if he's a bad one. I'd rather not take the chance.

2) Split membership would allow for some ooops when they are in the field together in separate blinds. Our place is one trophy, one mgmt deer and two(sometimes three) does. What happens if they both shoot a trophy on the same hunt or have one deer left on their allotment and come in with one each?. Yes it is is rare, but it could happen. I'd prefer to not to have to deal with that.
                              The split spot would have to be mandated that they are never there at the same time. I completely agree with points above.

Comment

The splitting memberships is a situational deal. We thought about allowing it on our place because we really don't have may good deer so we thought what the heck lets go ahead and let two guys pay one membership because they couldn't afford it alone and they can only shoot 2 deer between the two. Ultimately we decided against it because we have year round access to the place so essentially to guys got the added benefit of that perk while only having to pay for one membership. There are more than a couple of guys on my lease that never shoot a deer, they just use it as a place to get out of the city so we figured if these guys saw someone else pair up to pay only one membership they might do the same thing. Like it was said before in this post, it isn't worth the hassle.

Comment

Working...
                                X