2018 Alamo Precision Rifles TBH Special Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cpr1979 View Post
    Considering doing one of these builds. I have a sendero 25-06 already that’s my whitetail rifle but looking at elk/mule deer/larger game rifle. 300wm maybe? Not a hand loader

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    338 Win Mag

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
      Hey man, that’s what they make credit for. Remember?

Haha true story

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by cpr1979 View Post
        Considering doing one of these builds. I have a sendero 25-06 already that’s my whitetail rifle but looking at elk/mule deer/larger game rifle. 300wm maybe? Not a hand loader

300wm gets my vote. Good stuff!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          Barrel length suggestion for 28 Nos?
          Chew...I see no reason to have a hot rod round like the 28nos & limit it's ability to not take advantage of all the powder amigo with a short bbl. I would not go any shorter than 26".

I have a 7.21 Firebird or 7mm Lazzeroni...I'll admit it's a novelty gun with useable barrel life at around 1000 rounds, but it is a laser out to 400 yards with only a 4-5 inch line of sight using a 120gr Laserhead bullet by Barnes. It takes 99 grains of powder & a 30" tube to achieve this at a little under 4000fps. It's like a Swift on steroids & doing it any different would just create extra muzzle blast. What is the point if you cannot wring it out??

If you need a a shorter handier gun in the 24" range, I would build a 280AI or even a 7mag & keep it efficient & better balanced...my 280ai pushes 120's at 3400 out of a 26" tube.

Comment

I might get in trouble with the BOSS!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
              Can't go wrong with a 300wm. Crazy amount of ammo options for that sledgehammer.

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
              300wm gets my vote. Good stuff!

Sierracharlie out…

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
              Can’t go wrong with the 300 win mag.

Originally posted by Artos View Post
              Chew...I see no reason to have a hot rod round like the 28nos & limit it's ability to not take advantage of all the powder amigo with a short bbl. I would not go any shorter than 26".

I have a 7.21 Firebird or 7mm Lazzeroni...I'll admit it's a novelty gun with useable barrel life at around 1000 rounds, but it is a laser out to 400 yards with only a 4-5 inch line of sight using a 120gr Laserhead bullet by Barnes. It takes 99 grains of powder & a 30" tube to achieve this at a little under 4000fps. It's like a Swift on steroids & doing it any different would just create extra muzzle blast. What is the point if you cannot wring it out??

If you need a a shorter handier gun in the 24" range, I would build a 280AI or even a 7mag & keep it efficient & better balanced...my 280ai pushes 120's at 3400 out of a 26" tube.

Why waste such a great rifle on an ordinary caliber?

7mm Weatherby, look at what that thing will do.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

Won't stick with a 300 win mag. Only thing remotely close in .284 round is the 28 Nosler, without going ultra mag.

Comment

Originally posted by dustinhanna View Post
                  How much for this one with a tbh discount? Lol.
                  https://aprifles.com/collections/rea...-6-5-creedmoor
                  This is my favorite one they have for sale on the website...

Comment

So can a 6.5-300 be done?

Comment

Won't stick with a 300 win mag. Only thing remotely close in .284 round is the 28 Nosler, without going ultra mag.
                      200 eldx vs 175 ablr pushed at 2850 run out to 1000 ftlbs within 50 yards of each other in favor of the win mag with drop/drift going slightly to the 7. I tend to think you could push the weatherby harder than that as well

You could certainly argue the viability of finding loading components or (god forbid) factory ammo choices/prices but the weatherby will hang

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

Ammo options and availability. Plain and simple. Never said it was the best round ever.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

But one is a .284, and one is a .30 cal, if you want a .30 cal go Weatherby, or ultra mag.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                            Can't do much on that one, but it sure illustrates what a smoking deal the TBH special is!!!
                            Agreed. I'm on it.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                              Ammo options and availability. Plain and simple. Never said it was the best round ever.

Sierracharlie out…

I didn't aim to imply you were wrong, sir. I just love what that 7 Roy will do. For an elk caliber...mercy.

Comment

2018 Alamo Precision Rifles TBH Special Thread

Point of fact, if we're debating it...there's no reason everyone in North America shouldn't own a .264 mag.[emoji51]

Comment

Working...
                                X