Need Increased Horsepower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Increased Horsepower

I drive a Toyota Venza with a V6, does anyone know where I can buy a performance chip to use. I am not looking to race or anything like that, I just want a little better acceleration.

Nos

Comment

my guess would be that there is not a huge performance market for these cars (even though I have no idea what it is) and that you would have to look for an import garage that can custom tune it. guess ya shoulda gone with a vette if you needed hp

Comment

I may be able to get into a Vette but it would be heck trying to get out of one for someone that is as well rounded as I am.

Comment

You might want to try to find an import performance shop and ask if there is anyone that does custom tunes. I doubt that there are canned tunes for that model car.

Comment

add one of those autozone fart can mufflers think they add atleast 30hp if you put the sticker it comes with on your window

Comment

I thought most of the Toyota V6's in smaller autos were pretty stout already???

Comment

A tuner or tuning box on a naturally aspirated gas motor not running on E-85 is a waste of money.

Engine manufacturers don’t leave much of anything left on the table on modern engines, with turbocharged engines being the exception (gas or diesel). 20 years ago a gas engine with 9.0:1 compression was considered average with very few going up to 10.0:1. However today, 12.0:1 compression is not considered high. The computers of today have much faster sampling rates and refresh rates so the stock computers are able to wring pretty much every ounce of safe horsepower available.

Want more power? Only use a good quality gas even if it is more expensive and loose weight. Or sell it and buy a faster car. Short of spending 4 digits you won’t see enough power gains to be worth it.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                    Engine manufacturers don’t leave much of anything left on the table
                    This. That is why cat back exhaust is sound only these days, and lots of cars come with a high flow cat already.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post

This is a rip off, plain and simple. All it is inside is a resistor, that’s it. Connect it online to the intake air temp sensor and it fools the computer into thinking the incoming air is colder, so the computer gives more timing advance and richens the air/fuel mix. Sounds like a good thing, right?

The first problem you will see is now the ignition timing is advanced too far for the actual temperature of the air going into the engine. This is going to cause spark knock which is going to be detected by the knock sensor and so to prevent engine damage, the computer will retard the ignition timing more than what it normally would have been. The next thing that will happen is the oxygen sensor will show that the air/fuel mixture is too rich so it will lean out the mixture.

So there goes your so called power gains.

On 20+ year old vehicles, this trick would typically add power. It is otherwise known as an IAT(intake air temp) sensor relocation.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                        A tuner or tuning box on a naturally aspirated gas motor not running on E-85 is a waste of money.

Engine manufacturers don’t leave much of anything left on the table on modern engines, with turbocharged engines being the exception (gas or diesel). 20 years ago a gas engine with 9.0:1 compression was considered average with very few going up to 10.0:1. However today, 12.0:1 compression is not considered high. The computers of today have much faster sampling rates and refresh rates so the stock computers are able to wring pretty much every ounce of safe horsepower available.

Want more power? Only use a good quality gas even if it is more expensive and loose weight. Or sell it and buy a faster car. Short of spending 4 digits you won’t see enough power gains to be worth it.
                        I will agree with this for the canned tunes for MOST applications but it is not a waste of money for all vehicles. Newer trucks, such as your typical Chevy 5.3, would most benefit from a custom tune but would also benefit from a canned tune. Both would help with things such as throttle response and get rid of most of the torque management. You can get a custom tune from guys like Blackbear performance like I did and it really wakes the truck up.

Comment

Yeah, I forgot about the Chevy tunes. Torque management really chokes them.

Years ago I tuned a couple of vehicles that had complete stand alone ECUs. That was a lot of fun, and I learned quit a bit about how the manufacturer tunes a stock vehicle.

Comment

Cut holes in the floorboard and Fred Flintstone it, otherwise no clue.

Comment

Working...
                            X