3/4 ton gassers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
    Looked again. Nothing for the '14 6.4 in the RAM. They have them for the cars though. Heard for the '15 and up, that unless you run 91+ octane, you won't see any gains, and even running that fuel, you won't see but like 15hp gains.
    Programming Gas trucks is a waste of money IMO. My buddy tried it on his ford and little to no difference.

The factory is getting about all they can get out of those gas engines. The diesels however are so choked down with EPA crap you can see lots of gains.

Comment

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
      Programming Gas trucks is a waste of money IMO. My buddy tried it on his ford and little to no difference.

The factory is getting about all they can get out of those gas engines. The diesels however are so choked down with EPA crap you can see lots of gains.
      For my truck, I really think the transmission being geared shorter, or it being a manual, would make a huge difference. I don't like how I'm either red-lining at 50mph in 2nd gear pulling up hill, or drop it to 3rd and I have zero power and start reducing my speed against my will. Gears are just too tall for a gas truck that is made to tow.

Comment

For my truck, I really think the transmission being geared shorter, or it being a manual, would make a huge difference. I don't like how I'm either red-lining at 50mph in 2nd gear pulling up hill, or drop it to 3rd and I have zero power and start reducing my speed against my will. Gears are just too tall for a gas truck that is made to tow.
        For pulling, a manual tranny is always better for sure. You can put way more miles on it if you pull alot vs. an auto.

Really need to watch that trans temp with the autos.

Comment

Originally posted by Mactownfuzz View Post
          Those of you who have a 3/4 ton gasser, do you wish you'd gone diesel?
          Nope. Have a 2017 F250 gas... as far as what you should be aware of, I did have one guy come over and look at the truck to see if I was messing up putting gas in it instead of diesel though...

Comment

I have a 2010 Chevy 2500 6.0 4x4 now. Went from a 05 dodge diesel, to a tundra crewmax for a couple of years. I missed having a 3/4 ton more than the diesel, so I traded the tundra in on the Chevy.

I’m sure a diesel would be nice at times, but to me the cost way out weigh any benefit to me. I drive crappy roads, and around a lot of ag fields, using four wheel drive almost daily. The 6.0 does everything I want. Mileage is about the same as I was getting in the tundra, but I also have a real sized bed to carry my four wheeler and tool box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a ‘04 F250 V10. The best mileage I have ever gotten is 12.5. I have pulled some pretty heavy loads with it and had no problems other than having to stop at every other station for gas. I have never checked the mileage pulling a load, but I would bet it is around 6-7.

That being said, the normal maintenance costs of the gas engine is so much less than the diesel that I couldn’t justify it.
              Last edited by Wayno; 04-16-2018, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Looked again. Nothing for the '14 6.4 in the RAM. They have them for the cars though. Heard for the '15 and up, that unless you run 91+ octane, you won't see any gains, and even running that fuel, you won't see but like 15hp gains.
                Sean, (hemifever) writes tunes for the 14 6.4, Hemifever tunes on FB is probably the easiest way to get in touch with him without searching the forums.

You would need the tuner intune 2 i2010 programmer And buy his tunes.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

My buddy has a 14 power wagon with his tunes, it’s not a huge difference, but he’s also got the trans tune and it makes all the difference for pulling anything.

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
                  Sean, (hemifever) writes tunes for the 14 6.4, Hemifever tunes on FB is probably the easiest way to get in touch with him without searching the forums.

You would need the tuner intune 2 i2010 programmer And buy his tunes.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

My buddy has a 14 power wagon with his tunes, it’s not a huge difference, but he’s also got the trans tune and it makes all the difference for pulling anything.
                  Now we're talking. Thanks man. I'll check him out.

Comment

My current and last truck were 3/4 ton Power Wagons. The 12 had the 5.7 and 4:56s and the 15 is a 6.4 with 4:11s. I was happy with both and just upgraded the tires to 35" mud terrains(they fit on PW's without any additional lift).

It pulls my jeep just fine, has lockers front and back, skid plates, and a 12,000lb winch from the factory.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hughiam View Post
                      My current and last truck were 3/4 ton Power Wagons. The 12 had the 5.7 and 4:56s and the 15 is a 6.4 with 4:11s. I was happy with both and just upgraded the tires to 35" mud terrains(they fit on PW's without any additional lift).

It pulls my jeep just fine, has lockers front and back, skid plates, and a 12,000lb winch from the factory.

What kind of mileage does your 15 get? Thinking about looking at one for my next truck.

Comment

Originally posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
                        What kind of mileage does your 15 get? Thinking about looking at one for my next truck.

Prior to putting on the 35's, I was at 12-14 in town and 15-17 on the highway. Now about 12 and 15 respectively.

SuperChips supposedly can reprogram my computer to accept the 35's. Its a hand held unit you DIY for about $200.00

Pulling the trailer.....10mpg.
                        Last edited by Hughiam; 04-16-2018, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Prior to putting on the 35's, I was at 12-14 in town and 15-17 on the highway. Now about 12 and 15 respectively.

SuperChips supposedly can reprogram my computer to accept the 35's. Its a hand held unit you DIY for about $200.00

Pulling the trailer.....10mpg.

Thanks. I’ve heard the 6.4’s have decent mileage in the power wagons. My 6.0 does ~9 in town, and if I’m lucky 12 on the highway. Stop and go really drops it. That’s with 4.10 gears and 285/70R17 tires.

Comment

I had a F250 with the V-10 gas engine and if I go back to a 3/4 ton it will probably be a gasser also. I can't justify the extra $10k sticker and price of maintenance like oil changes and more expensive fuel for how little I tow.

Comment

Thats some pretty respectable mileage in a 3/4 ton with 4.11 gears.

Comment

I had a 3/4 gasser. Pulled 12,000 travel trailer no problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X