Raw wild boar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of things:

They can freeze the meat for an extended period of time to kill a lot of diseases. This means it isn't cooked, but it isn't necessarily "fresh" either.

"Wild" is a marketing term and not necessarily a USDA or any other governing body's designation as to where it came from or how it was handled.

That being said, I was in Spain late last year and was at a restaurant that had "wild boar" on the menu. I asked the fella if it was from Texas... because I've eaten plenty of boar from Texas (I had to later explain to the other folks with me - business trip - that we export a lot of feral hog meat to Europe.) He assured me it was hunting season in the South and this was boar from Spain. I wasn't 100% convinced, but ordered it anyways because I was curious about how they would prepare it or how musty they like it there. When my boar came out it was woefully undercooked. I would have been happy with pink... or anything that I thought may have reached 135. Once piece was fine... the rest was not and had to send it back for it to be cooked a little more. Unfortunately they somewhat overcooked it. Had to explain to the waiter that as a hunter, if this was indeed wild boar, I'd need it pink... not cold... If it were farm raised, dewormed, etc... I'd be fine with it... but I'd have to take his word for it that it was realy wild pork and didn't feel like dealing with Trich on the plane ride home.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
      Probably pen raised. Also probably has been wormed.
      Unless they hunted it themselves, they would have had to pay for the meat. Since its illegal to sell game meat in America (For the most part with a few exceptions), they would be violating federal law.

I am sure it wasn't wild boar. Just a pig that got a bigger pen to live in.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
        Unless they hunted it themselves, they would have had to pay for the meat. Since its illegal to sell game meat in America (For the most part with a few exceptions), they would be violating federal law.

Hog isn’t game meat and it can be sold as long as is passed by USDA or equillvant USDA inspection

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

You can buy "Wild Boar" in a store in Indiana that is USDA inspected trapped feral hog from South Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by BTGuard View Post
            I don't remember for sure but I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a case if trichinosis in years. They actually lowered the cooking temperature if I'm not mistaken. We are raising pork a lot differently now then they were in the 50's

Edit: looks like maybe 4 cases from farm raised pork in the last 8 years. Majority comes from bear oddly enough.
            You are right in that they lowered the cooking temp of pork to 145. Here is a study posted on Hank Shaw's website talking about it.

Last edited by Jason85; 04-16-2018, 10:25 AM.

Comment

This says it all right here...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                You can buy "Wild Boar" in a store in Indiana that is USDA inspected trapped feral hog from South Texas.
                I was told by somebody who was a butcher at a large locker plant that they could sell wild hog meat as long as they killed it at the plant. This plant has USDA inspectors on site.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                  I was told by somebody who was a butcher at a large locker plant that they could sell wild hog meat as long as they killed it at the plant. This plant has USDA inspectors on site.
                  Yep, live trapped feral. Can't bring in dead hogs.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X