Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
    So, can you freeze salt ?
    Of course. If it's colder than 32 it's freezing! That being said... It hasn't undergone a phase change or anything.

SCIENCE AND STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
      This thread is still alive because everyone loves science.

Haven't yall noticed the salt on the roads and bridges on cold mornings? That is ice salt. It is formed by already dissolved water freezing below the surface. Same principle as the pvc pipes.
      What!????

You are trolling

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
        What!????

You are trolling
        I mostly fish with jug lines. Real jugs though, not PVC noodles.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
          What!????

You are trolling
          He’s obviously trolling. Don’t fall in the trap.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
            This thread is still alive because everyone loves science.

Haven't yall noticed the salt on the roads and bridges on cold mornings? That is ice salt. It is formed by already dissolved water freezing below the surface. Same principle as the pvc pipes.
            Science rulz....

I bought some of this Koolergel science stuff, recommended to be by Jimmy Houston himself.

Just mix it up in whatever bottles or PVC pipes you want and freeze. Lasts quite a while and they work great in coolers with food you don't want to get wet...or salty.

https://koolergel.com/product/koolergel/
            Last edited by Texas276; 03-06-2018, 08:59 AM. Reason: add more science

Comment

You can't explain science.
              Either you get it or you don't.

Nobody explained it to Isaac Newton. The Apple fell on his head and then he knew science.

Ben Franklin flew a kite in the thunderstorm. Boom, science happened.
              So in other words you're full of brown stuff

Or a certain establishment in North Austin is missing a patient.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                Now that is a good idea. I have quite a few of the ones from our Blue Apron trial run. They are quite large to use in their current form.
                Works good. Cut the corner off them jokers and squeeze that mess in to a bottle or what ever. Doesn't expand as much as water and works great. We had some from one of those funky meals in a box and I tried it out. Sure can't use the bags it comes in cuz that stuff will certainly leak and it's nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
                  Works good. Cut the corner off them jokers and squeeze that mess in to a bottle or what ever. Doesn't expand as much as water and works great. We had some from one of those funky meals in a box and I tried it out. Sure can't use the bags it comes in cuz that stuff will certainly leak and it's nasty.
                  Over the last several days, I have filled 6 of the small Gatorade bottles and 6 water bottles. Used a few of them on Saturday and was happy with the results. Still have two of the big bags to use as soon as I save up some more bottles.d

Comment

So, can you freeze salt ?
                    yes, freezing point of NaCl is 1474 F.

Comment

This is from google and is where my line of thought came from. I think you got melting point boomer.

Ocean water freezes just like freshwater, but at lower temperatures. Fresh water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit but seawater freezes at about 28.4 degrees Fahrenheit , because of the salt in it. When seawater freezes, however, the ice contains very little salt because only the water part freezes.

And possibly a justified hijack.

If you could get the right freezer, alcohol could be a better alternative than salty water

It depends on the alcohol content, but most wine will freeze at about 15 to 20 degrees F, and it would need to stay at that temperature for a while before it freezes solidly.

It is possible to freeze vodka, but not in a typical home freezer. The freezing point of 80 proof vodka is -26.95° C or -16.51° F, while the temperature of most home freezers is around -17° C

Comment

When seawater freezes, however, the ice contains very little salt because only the water part freezes.[/I]
                        interesting info... my initial guess is that in an unconstrained environment (like the ocean) salt can just keep precipitating out as the water freezes, leaving less in the ice. i'd have to think about how a closed system (like our Gatorade bottles and capped pvc tubes) may affect things.

Comment

Ice cream salt works well

Comment

Originally posted by SKLOSS View Post
                            Saltwater freezes at a lower temp so the bottle with regular water is going to thaw faster. Think of it this way, the regular water bottle is a fridge set at 32 degrees and the salt water bottle is a freezer set at 25 degrees( or whatever temp salt water freezes at). Is the steak going to thaw faster in the fridge or freezer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I may have just came up with something brilliant... Maybe. So bare with me. You buy a $400 yeti to save ice and you are not impressed. So you get out your old dusty igloo and then go buy PVC, end caps and a bag of salt. Build these awesome new PVC ice pipes that will turn any cooler into a deep freeze and have all the rave of a Yeti and now you have to lower your deep freezer temp costing you more on your monthly electric bill than the bags of ice your Yeti is guaranteed to save? Heck I might just put my deep freeze in the truck bed and plug it in to a power converter. I bet if I drive the ranch twice a day with it running it would keep everything nice and cold and I would never have to buy ice.

Comment

Originally posted by BonesandArrow View Post
                              I may have just came up with something brilliant... Maybe. So bare with me. You buy a $400 yeti to save ice and you are not impressed. So you get out your old dusty igloo and then go buy PVC, end caps and a bag of salt. Build these awesome new PVC ice pipes that will turn any cooler into a deep freeze and have all the rave of a Yeti and now you have to lower your deep freezer temp costing you more on your monthly electric bill than the bags of ice your Yeti is guaranteed to save? Heck I might just put my deep freeze in the truck bed and plug it in to a power converter. I bet if I drive the ranch twice a day with it running it would keep everything nice and cold and I would never have to buy ice.

I know you're joking but...
                              Freezers are geneally set around 0 degrees F. Saltwater freezes at 28 degrees F.

Comment

After reading this thread all I know is I want to get up and go get a cold beer.....thanks fellas!

Comment

Working...
                                X