No announcement yet.

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranger Olen told me you can't set up feeders or stands until after you have your permit which you get during orientation, any they find put up before that will be taken down.

Also some compartments will be closed this year, will find out which compartments are OK to hunt in during orientation.

I plan on going out there scouting a few different compartments, and try to find a few different spots in different compartments that way if one is off limits I can get the other one. If anyone wants to go scouting more than welcome to come. I'm no expert at it, much more used to scouting in thick woods, so unsure what to expect up here--will be fun.

Comment

I'm in......wish I had known this morning when I was at archery country!

Comment

I called today to ask about scouting, parking, and other info. The young lady was not very helpful. She just kept saying, "He will cover that in orientation..." that was her go to answer.

I wanted to know how far you can drive in and where to park or not. That sure will determine where one goes

Comment

Was everyone's deer as spooky as mine were last year? I had several times where deer would arrive just before there was enough shooting light. Just as it was getting light enough to shoot the feeder would go off and the deer would blow out of there like I snuck up a slap on the rump. Maybe I just set up in a bad location last year, go to look for a better one this year.

Comment

Originally posted by SMOOTHboar View Post
            I called today to ask about scouting, parking, and other info. The young lady was not very helpful. She just kept saying, "He will cover that in orientation..." that was her go to answer.

I wanted to know how far you can drive in and where to park or not. That sure will determine where one goes
            yep...they'll cover most everything in orientation then just "wing it" on everything they left out. to me it is not very well organized and I don't think there's a lot of incentive on the Corps. side to make it any better. it is almost as if they'd rather not have the hassle, but they've got to do something to keep the population down so this is just a tolerable hassle to accomplish a goal.

having said that, basically you won't be able to drive in ANYWHERE other than one of the parks. you can park in those and walk but there are also several spots where the Corps. property is up against a road and you can park along the road in these spots, cross the fence or gate and walk from there. most of these areas have plenty of shoulder so you can get way off the roads. they'll give you a placard to put on your dash to avoid any issues with "abandoned vehicle syndrome" and getting towed or something.

Comment

Originally posted by YLEKeyeOT View Post
              ...you won't be able to drive in ANYWHERE other than one of the parks. you can park in those and walk but there are also several spots where the Corps. property is up against a road and you can park along the road in these spots, cross the fence or gate and walk from there. most of these areas have plenty of shoulder so you can get way off the roads. they'll give you a placard to put on your dash to avoid any issues with "abandoned vehicle syndrome" and getting towed or something.
              Thought I should clarify this a bit. Motorized vehicles are not allowed on Corps. property. For access you'll have to launch a boat and go in anywhere on the shoreline, park in one of the parks and walk, find a place where the Corps. property runs along a road then park and cross fence/gate, or GET PERMISSION from private property owner to cross their property to get to Corps. property.

Comment

Anyone going to get their profiency test tomorrow?

Amazing how now that I have to go get one, shooting is a little more focused. I typically shoot to relax. I rushed a shot yesterday and paid for it. Got a smack on the forearm and could have ****** on myself it hurt so bad.

Comment

I will be heading to Double G's tomorrow

Comment

I'm qualified! Shot 142 out of 150.

Comment

Originally posted by YLEKeyeOT View Post
                      Thought I should clarify this a bit. Motorized vehicles are not allowed on Corps. property. For access you'll have to launch a boat and go in anywhere on the shoreline, park in one of the parks and walk, find a place where the Corps. property runs along a road then park and cross fence/gate, or GET PERMISSION from private property owner to cross their property to get to Corps. property.
                      Hey, everyone. I'm new to this site and a new bow hunter. Looks like a great community.

YLEKeyeOT,
                      Do you think i could go to the Corps office and ask them to point out the best way to get to some of the compartments by car? I'm a little confused looking at the map. I have also seen other posts that suggest the office people are not very helpful.

Comment

Do you think i could go to the Corps office and ask them to point out the best way to get to some of the compartments by car? I'm a little confused looking at the map. I have also seen other posts that suggest the office people are not very helpful.
                        The office people have always been very friendly with me, but they don't know much about the hunting program.

The maps are not very good either.

Your best bet is to get a map and get out and look around. Even easier if you know someone familiar with the area.

It has been said here before, but I don't think the hunting program is a high priority for the COE. They don't have the people, time or money to put a lot into it. At this point the feeling I get (just my opinion) is that the hunting program is just barely worth the effort for the COE.

I think it's a great place to hunt. I've been hunting there for several years and hope to hunt there well into the future, but it is very much a DIY thing, don't expect a lot of support from the lake personnel. I try to get out there, kill some meat and not make any extra work for them.

Comment

Very helpful and makes a lot of sense. I have a buddy that was also drawn who has some familiarity with the property. We will be scouting together when he has time.

Comment

Marjo and I are camping at Georgetown lake a couple days this week and there is a ton of deer. We saw a lot of does yesterday and this morning. Going to be a great crop of deer this year, you guys hunting the lake should do well.

Comment

Originally posted by Meat821 View Post
                              Hey, everyone. I'm new to this site and a new bow hunter. Looks like a great community.

YLEKeyeOT,
                              Other than the parks and along the dam, there are only a few spots around where COE property borders roads. So, yep it is a little difficult to pick out places to scout just looking at a map. Best bet is to talk to folks and/or the Rangers at the Orientation meeting. The office folks are always super nice, just seems like they've got other things they need to be doing than spending time answering hunters' questions.

Comment

Cool. Good recommendation.

Comment

Working...
                                X