Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUPER newbie needs some help.

Hi Y'all!

I've been creeping the forums for a while, but was just recently brave enough to join the ranks. I've been a gun hunter since I started, but the gift of a crossbow changed my life and I haven't looked back. Up close and personal is a next level rush that I can't get enough of. Obviously, the compound was the next step for me. A crossbow kind felt like cheating.

My first compound arrived last week and I've been spending a ton of time with it. I had to order online due to finances and distance from a reputable pro shop (I live in Kerrville). I've gotten relatively consistent, but I'm having some issues getting the thing sighted in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

First and foremost....I'm a lefty and I'm well aware that makes me an odd specimen to begin with. At 20 yards, I'm getting a consistent 2-3 inch group (I told you I'm new). Elevation is about as spot on as I could hope for, but windage is between 4 inches and a foot right no matter what I do. At this point, I'm scared to move the sight anymore as it is almost maxed out. Gun wisdom tells me to move the sight towards the arrow and it HAS gotten better. However, looking at the sight in relation to the arrow, the pins are almost an inch right of where the arrow sits in the rest.

Am I crazy, a bad shot, overthinking this, or just so new that I'm not using any semblance of proper form?!

first of all, welcome to your new addiction. bowhunting is pretty cool too, but this site will be home for now on.

about the sighting.. it sounds like the rest needs to be moved. But before you do this, if you've got a buddy that you trust to shoot your bow, have them shoot it and see what kind of groups they get. If they are consistent with yours, then its a mechanical issue. If they hit spot on, its a you issue. Also, check your grip. If your arrows are bouncing from 4-12 inches on a horizontal plane, you may be torquing your bow.

Comment

Thanks for the input!

Unfortunately, I'm the only archer I know. Seems like this site might change that. Luckily the groups aren't jumping. I'm getting relatively consistent groups of about three inches that I've walked in from a foot to now about 4 inches off center. My concern is that the sight is almost maxed out on windage. I should also mention that I'm shooting a fletcher style peep and a four pin sight. Rest could certainly come into play! Could peep training be at fault as well? I'm doing my best to make sure it is squared up on every shot.

Comment

Ok. You said you bought on line. So I’m guessing bow has not been tuned. So this is more then likely the problem. But is draw set correctly and is arrows correct.

These are the things you have to look at. Bad thing is lots of this you need a good bow shop. Bad thing is you ordered over the web. So the bow shop is going to charge you to set the bow up correctly.

Comment

Welcome to the fire!

Now get that bow and you in a Shop.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
            So the bow shop is going to charge you to set the bow up correctly.
            This

Comment

Cheers! Thanks for all the help.

Yep, bow was bought at huntersfriend.com and I couldn't be more pleased with my experience there. I made some educated decisions on the setup they do after making the trek to Bass Pro (closest "pro" shop that I know of). I bought online due to funding concerns and lack of access to a real pro shop. I'm a youngun' and may have made a grave mistake there and don't mind paying for my sins, but it hasn't turned me off. If anything, the giant raspberry I got on my forearm during my initial foray was a reminder to always do it right. If anyone knows of a reputable shop in the Hill Country, I am all ears.

Comment

Enewman, Rat and Muddyfuzy are the ones to listen to on this site. they know their business. Also Fishindude who works for CCR is a great help!

Do not hesitate to contact any of them!

Guys, do not let me down!

Comment

there is a good shop on hy29 close to int 35 Double g they are on the green screen

Double G Archery

​ 4185 B East University Ave.

Georgetown, Tx. 78626

512-868-5530
                  Last edited by clay4626; 02-16-2018, 07:54 PM. Reason: add address

Comment

I would imagine that as previously mentioned, bow isn't tuned, and more importantly isn't matched to YOU or your Arrows. Both fixable.

Reading material- The Nuts and Bolts of archery. You won't be an expert, but you will know a little bit about proper setup http://archeryhistory.com/archerytal...of_Archery.pdf

Good luck.

Comment

Just echoing the others. Your bow has had no tuning. A pro shop will make sure everything is good. Because you’re in Kerrville you will find that Austin archery is closest if you come East. No appointment needed. Just come on in. They also have a nice indoor 20yd range so you can work out the details while they stand by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Wheelers in boerne will get you hooked up

Comment

Welcome to the fire sir and congrats on your newfound hobby. Stick with it and it will provide you years of mental therapy and stress release I promise.

As others have already stated....bite the bullet and make a trip to a pro shop and verify your bow is tuned for you. It may be as simple as adjusting the draw length. Also, if it’s a 70lb bow, I’d also recommend they lower the draw weight. Beginners, even young strong folks like you, tend to torgue a 70lb bow that’s maxed out. Lightening the draw weight obviously means you can pull the bow easier and hold it longer, which allows more time to concentrate on anchor points and pin placement.

Good luck

Comment

I believe it may be time to head to a pro shop. Thanks all!

Comment

I am not trying to steer you away from a good Pro Shop, and all those mentioned are very good. But if you want to learn how to do it yourself, understand what is takes to tune a bow, tune an arrow and tune your form; then come visit me. Bring beer and we will tune your bow, form and arrows; you will learn the the how and why and we will have fun.

All it will cost you is beer and fuel.

I live in Bertram - 15125257299 gimme a call.

Comment

Working...
                              X