No announcement yet.

Public Hunting Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer cart, for sure. Try dragging 150lbs more than 20 yds and youll know.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

My rope-style tree harness strap was a nice relatively inexpensive upgrade that I think is significantly better than the strap that came with my Summit climber. It is faster to move up and down the tree and creates less noise than the buckle from the original strap. I can see durability and wear over time taking a toll but I'd rather replace it over time and be faster/less noisy getting into my stand.

Comment

The older I get, I have about stopped using a tree stand. Besides my bow and binoculars I take a folding stool. Its easy to carry and I don't leave a stand on public land. I can usually find a natural blind and the stool makes it a comfortable sit.

Comment

Muddman - I like the idea of your minimalist approach. I fear that I'm too much of a novice to pull it off. I'm guessing you are pretty diligent about scent control and minimizing movement (whereas I need elevation to cover up my mistakes).

Comment

Surprised no one has mentioned a Thermacell..this is a must have for me at the start of the season when its still 90F degrees outside & mosquitoes are in full force! Also, serves as a great wind indicator.

Comment

I like to take my climber. If you can find a tall tree it's just fun to be up there. If not, it's a good seat on the ground.

Comment

A lock on stand and Lone Wolf climbing sticks. Light weight and doesn't limit my trees like my climber does. Lone Wolf isn't cheap, but I think Muddy makes the same sticks.

Comment

I have had limited chances to use the climber down here in Texas (compared to further north). The trees don't grow tall and straight on the types of land that's public down here.

Comment

Bringing this back from the dead??? I'll add what one of my MUST is: a dang good set of binos!! I can't tell you how many deer I've walked right into bow range, and never had a clue they were there. Now I glass every few steps, of course mornings are different. This is in my private and public places I hunt. Not just public

Comment

At the end of the season now, what was that one thing that you wished you would have had at the beginning of the season or will have before next season?

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerdown15 View Post
                        At the end of the season now, what was that one thing that you wished you would have had at the beginning of the season or will have before next season?
                        20 years of youth back. But that would only be good for only 15 years.

Comment

Having a better game plan with more spots prepped ahead of time. You never know when someone is going to disturb an area or hunt right where you planned to be. Having a plan a, b, c...x, y, and z. My whole plan went in the garbage the first two weeks of the season. Almost every time I thought I had it figured out, some unexpected variable would pop up.

Comment

More spots scouted...totally my fault for not even looking into LBJ until the day before the season started...never even thought it was an option, so my first scouting was done mid week first week of October...way too late. Luckily I found a spot. I hunted it most of the year, saw lots of deer, and only saw another truck there once. As the season progressed and no big shooter bucks were sighted, I was reluctant to move...ended up doing it but it would have been better to have alternated units more and had them picked out and ready.

Comment

Also...use my bike to access spots quicker would've been good.

Comment

good flashlight, GPS, and a GAME CART.

Comment

Working...
                                X