Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17 Season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As the new Hunting Season approaches, I would like to call your attention once again to the Texas Youth Hunting Program (www.tyhp.org) – we arrange introductory, mentored hunt opportunities for kids ages 9-17 that are safe, educational, and affordable. Our mission is to increase the number of youth participating in hunting and wildlife activities, and our goal is to provide an opportunity for any youth in Texas who wants to go hunting!

A little background…..The Texas Youth Hunting Program began in 1996. TYHP is a program of the Texas Wildlife Association (www.texas-wildlife.org), and is conducted in partnership with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Since inception, over 60,000 youth, parents, and volunteers have participated in TYHP. It is my great pleasure to work for TWA on the staff of this program!

Here is an overview of TYHP:

• TYHP Hunts
    o Occur in all parts of Texas, plus one in Colorado
     Private ranches to which landowners donate access
     State- and Federally-owned Wildlife Mgmt Areas, Refuges, etc.
    o All game animals & birds, hogs, exotics, and varmints
    o Firearm and Bow Hunts
    o TYHP Hunts are Educational – when not in the field hunting, we conduct a variety of educational activities on hunting skills, natural resources, conservation, etc.
    o Safety is top priority at all times – TYHP has an excellent safety record!
    o We anticipate conducting 200+ TYHP hunts this season

• Structure of TYHP Hunts
    o Usually on weekends
    o Group format: at least 4 hunters
    o A parent or guardian is required to accompany the youth
    o Hunts are run by trained volunteer Huntmasters, assisted by volunteer Guides
    o Meals are provided
    o Lodging varies from bunkhouses to tent camping
    o A Guide accompanies the youth hunter & their adult
     Acts as Mentor
     Before taking a shot, Guide & hunter agree it is safe, legal, & ethical
     Helps hunter learn game recovery, field dressing, and preparation for transport home

• Requirements for Participating in TYHP Hunts
    o Age 9-17
    o Hunter Education certification
    o Valid Texas Hunting License, plus any applicable stamps
    o Accompaniment by a Parent or Guardian
    o No prior hunting experience required!

• Costs
    o $150 Hunt Fee (covers both the youth and their adult)
    o Scholarships available if needed to help with Fee

• Gear
    o Hunters typically provide their own gear
    o However, loaner firearms, bows, and camping gear is available – you need not make a big investment in equipment to hunt with TYHP
    • Applying for Hunts
    o Create Youth Account at www.tyhp.org
    o Check Youth Hunt Schedule and apply for hunts that interest you (http://tyhp.alamark.com/youth-hunter...hunt-schedule/)
    o You can apply for multiple hunts – in fact we recommend this to improve your odds of selection
    o Applying is free – the Hunt Fee is only payable upon selection for a hunt
    o You can apply for hunts even if you haven’t yet completed Hunter Ed
    o Selection priority is given to youth who have not hunted with TYHP before

• Volunteering with TYHP
     TYHP volunteers are some of the best folks anywhere – many are TBHers too!
     Volunteering with TYHP is a great way to directly impact the future of the hunting heritage in Texas
     Want to join in? We are always looking for more folks to server as Huntmasters, Guides, Cooks, etc.
     Contact me and I’ll help you get started

• Attention Landowners & Property Managers
     We are always looking for new places to hold TYHP hunts
     TYHP can help you reach game management objectives (e.g. doe harvest)
     Important Info
    • TYHP provides Liability Insurance to landowners at no cost
    • Landowners are involved in hunt planning – they specify
    o Dates
    o Species to be hunted
    o Quantities that may be harvested
    o Lodging arrangements
    • Landowners can be as involved, or un-involved, in the actual hunt event as they wish
     If you would like to host TYHP on your property please let me know!

If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly or call our office in San Antonio (800-460-5494).

Thanks!

Bob Barnette
    TYHP North Texas Field Operations Coordinator
    214-282-3697
    bbarnette@texas-wildlife.org
    Attached Files

What a great program. Both of my boys will be applying for the first time this year. Thank you for what you do for these kids.

Comment

This is a fantastic program. i participated in several with my daughter as she grew up. First class organization. thank yall.

Comment

There is a hunt in October on my ranch, last year there were a couple of TBHers that attended.
        Hopefully, this year all four kids will be from TBH families. Get signed up!

Comment

We participated last year for the first time and TYHP puts on a great hunt. Everyone involved treated us very well and my daughter had a blast. My oldest daughter got selected for another hunt but unfortunately I ended up at the ER the day we were scheduled to arrive on the hunt. Everything turned out ok with me but my daughter missed out on the hunt. I'll be putting signing them up again this year.

Here is a couple pics of the one hunt we went on.
          Educating the hunters

It was Halloween weekend.

Finding here first Horney Toad

And the kill

Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Poco; 08-08-2016, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Bump for ya RGB. Wanted to point out a "special hunt", January 2017, at a special place that a lot of TBHs would sell a kidney for some years.

Looking forward to it.

Comment

ttt

Comment

I got a couple of kids that are dieing to go hunting. I'm going to the website now. Thank you. We have been trying to get drawn for a couple of years on tpwd.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been a huntmaster since 1999(thus my screen name , same time that I found TBH).
                  as many have stated it is an awesome experience for the youth and parents. The weekend will be fun and educational. Follow Bob's instructions above to sign up and pass the info to others you know with kids that want to learn about the outdoors,wildlife and hunting.

Comment

Great program. Is Gene Rousch still participating?

Comment

Gene is not

Comment

I would encourage those of you who are thinking about participating but already have a place you can take your children to reach out to those less fortunate. The goal of the program is to reach those children who without the program may never get a chance to hunt or experience the outdoors with conservation in mind. Find a fatherless child or an inter city youth and mentor them on the hunt. Your reward will be much greater.

Comment

The TYHP is a truly outstanding program. The benefits that the young hunters and their parents reap are immense. My son participated in the program until he reached his 18th birthday. We attended a number of hunts in the two years he participated and we always had a great time. We valued our time together during the hunts and enjoyed the camaraderie of others. I have enclosed photos of my son's two does he harvested during a TYHP Deer hunt in 2014 in the Fredericksburg area.

Regards,

Dave
                          Attached Files

Comment

Great Program

We do the tanning for this group. The hunt master are great guys to work with. It pleases us when you see the youth eyes light up when he see his first tanned trophy. And the parent or parents has a large smile on their face.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                              I would encourage those of you who are thinking about participating but already have a place you can take your children to reach out to those less fortunate. The goal of the program is to reach those children who without the program may never get a chance to hunt or experience the outdoors with conservation in mind. Find a fatherless child or an inter city youth and mentor them on the hunt. Your reward will be much greater.

Rack,

I do agree with you to a point.

However the hunt we went on every one of the parents were hunters and several had leases including myself. Most signed there kids up for the same reasons I did. Its not about the hunt but more the experience and the kids interacting with other kids. These days kids including mine get caught up with there TV and phones. My daughter had a blast hanging out and being around kids she's never met before. The kill was just a plus for her. I thought that was the biggest thing about the weekend and why I will sign her up again.

Yes I can take my daughters to our lease everyday of the week but they will not get the experience she got from her TYHP hunt cause other than her sisters there isn't other kids her age there. Its still fun of course. Ive tried to take a couple of her friends out there before but the parents didn't go for it.

To do my part I have told many parents about the TYHP program.

Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X