No announcement yet.

DIY New Mexico Gila Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing I am well known for doing is changing really important stuff the week of a hunt. Weather that be bows or arrows or broadheads. Well this hunt I'm changing releases. I have been struggling with my carter thumb button. It doesn't fit my hand well and I haven't been shooting it good. So I'm gonna go back to my hinge for this hunt. True fire sear with no click. And I say that today and may be shooting something else next week. Lol it always makes things interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck. I start my NM elk hunt the 17th. Still fine tuning on my end too. But no major changes, I hope.

Comment

Mine starts the 19th. I'm excited. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          Yeah, it sucks NRs have to spend that much extra just to have a shot at a few of the tags on federal land, but I'm glad you got one. Good luck!
          Move out West brother! You will only miss Whataburger

Comment

Might want to check the NM DOT site for construction if not heading through El Paso. We ran into a lot of that west of Lincoln national forrest this summer. Crazy slow and DPS everywhere imposing construction speed limits.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
              My kill kit like my possibles pouch is pretty simple as well.

Tag bomb(boned out meat bags)
              Wire saw(I may get rid of this)
              Tyto replaceable blade knife
              Extra blades
              Ink pen
              Latex gloves
              Alcohol wipes(not sure why those are in there lol)

All of that is in another kifaru pull out

How do you like that Tyto? I have 3 havalons and am wondering if the Tyto would shave weight compared to the blaze orange piranta.....

Comment

Originally posted by raiderelkhunter View Post
                How do you like that Tyto? I have 3 havalons and am wondering if the Tyto would shave weight compared to the blaze orange piranta.....

So far I like it a lot better than the havalon. That said I haven't broke down an animal yet. The thing I like about it is the handle and the fact it can't break. I have heard lots of guys have the piranha break where it folds. That would be no good if you were on the side of a mountain breaking down a elk. I went with no parachord because I could see it getting really nasty with blood and stuff

Comment

Good luck, JT!
                  Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Good luck! Following along!

Comment

Good luck! Following along for sure...

Comment

Good luck JT, I have faith a big bull is about to be hangin' in the casa.

Comment

One thing I am well known for doing is changing really important stuff the week of a hunt. Weather that be bows or arrows or broadheads. Well this hunt I'm changing releases. I have been struggling with my carter thumb button. It doesn't fit my hand well and I haven't been shooting it good. So I'm gonna go back to my hinge for this hunt. True fire sear with no click. And I say that today and may be shooting something else next week. Lol it always makes things interesting.

You think you can get that thing to go off when you need it to?

Comment

I am gonna be pretty busy at work the next week and a half so I'm trying to get some prep done this weekend. Just made some sausage egg and cheese breakfast burritos and vacuum sealed them. I can boil some water in the mornings and throw the whole thing in to warm them up. Easy breakfast with no clean up

Works pretty good. Just don't leave them in the hot water too long. We have had some open up on us. Makes a big mess if its chilli or stew.

Comment

Good luck, hope you kill a big one!

Comment

good luck I am heading there on the 12th. hunting 16B. I am staying in TC. driving into camp on the 13th and hunt starts on the 15th. I am so pumped. What unit are you in?From Austin I have a 11hr drive

Comment

Working...
                                X