Cape Buffalo Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cape Buffalo Question

What would the minimum draw weight be for Cape Buffalo? Who all on here has done it? My dad is interested in doing a trip if it's feasible. Anyone have an outfitter that offers high percentage opportunity for buff with a bow? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marromeu Safaris Marromeu Safaris is hunter Area. Animal list: Buffalo, Reedbuck common, Bushpig, Warthog, Chobe Bushbuck, Duiker Red, Duiker Blue, Duiker Grey, Suni, Oribi, Grysbuck, Baboon, Impala, Crocodile

Hands down the best place I've found. Never been but a buddy and I have it seriously planned in the future. True Africa, 500,000 acres with no fences.

Bows are so efficient today that you can get by with 70-80 lbs assuming that you shoot a well constructed heavy arrow like a grizz stick tipped with an Ashby broad head.

Comment

Watch the video in the website, it that doesn't get you excited, I don't know what will.

Comment

I know it can be done at 70lbs with the right arrow/BH combo assuming draw length is long enough

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
          I know it can be done at 70lbs with the right arrow/BH combo assuming draw length is long enough

29" draw length

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
            29" draw length

Should be fine assuming outfitter is ok with it or the country chosen doesn't have a minimum of 80

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
              Should be fine assuming outfitter is ok with it or the country chosen doesn't have a minimum of 80

10-4. Will check into it.

Comment

I did it with a 83# recurve.
                A 70 pound compound would have way more penatration
                Just go with a heavy arrow at least 900 grains

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman08 View Post
                  http://www.marromeusafaris.com

Hands down the best place I've found. Never been but a buddy and I have it seriously planned in the future. True Africa, 500,000 acres with no fences.

Bows are so efficient today that you can get by with 70-80 lbs assuming that you shoot a well constructed heavy arrow like a grizz stick tipped with an Ashby broad head.
                  The video that popped up when I clicked that link was awesome. Boat load of sable and big waterbuck.

Comment

I am going in August with a friend who is going to shoot a Cape Buffalo with a 75# recurve and a really, really heavy arrow!

Bisch
                    Last edited by Bisch; 04-20-2017, 09:24 PM.

Comment

I did it and shot a 90lb compound with a 900 grain arrow. I think arrow weight and foc is number one. I know guys that have done it with 70 lb bows and heavy arrows and kept shots around 20 yards. I would go for a fairly fast bow and try to get to 80 pounds. I would not go below 850-900 grains in arrow weight and I would shoot a solidly constructed 2 blade head. What I mean by that is no screws or aluminum ferrules. I shot a 160 grain stos sharpened to a tanto tip jb welded on to a 100 grain steel insert. Lots of choices out there now but that is what I used. My shot was 32 yards and the broadhead was sticking out 3-4 inches on the far side of the buffalo.

Comment

The outfitter (African Arrow Outfitters) I use in RSA had a gentleman kill a big buff with 60#'s and a heavy arrow. A great strong broadhead and the right shot placement is going to be critical.

My set up is a 70# bow at 29" with an almost 800 grain arrow shooting a 220 grain Tuffhead. The arrow will also be double footed for added strength at the business end. My PH, Harry Nel said that would be a great set up.

This is also a bowhunting outfit only and can get you on quality Cape Buffs with a bow, either out of treestands over water or on a walk and stalk. I highly recommend Harry and African Arrow Safaris, especially for bowhunters.

Comment

I shot the one in my profile pick with a 70lb 29 inch draw 950 grain total weight arrow.

I hunted with Adansonia safaris

Comment

Thanks everyone. Seems like getting some arrows built is just as (if not more) important then draw weight. My dad generally shoots whitetail and mule deer at 55 lbs or so. He could certainly get up to 70 lbs but anymore then that would be tough. He is in great shape but isn't a big guy. He would like to try and get it done in 2018 and will be 65 yrs old then. I hope it all comes together and he gets to make the trip! Bucket list item for him.

Comment

I hunt with Limcroma and have had several opportunities with a bow while chasing other animals. My wallet just can't handle a buff.......yet. I know they will want you to pull 80. One of these days I will get after em. Personally, not sure I could do 80 right now ha ha. Would need to get the muscles trained. But, you can contact them and see what the minimum draw weight they would require. I can give you my PH's contact info if you want. PM me. He loves chasing buff.

Comment

Working...
                              X