Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long is venison good before you need to freeze it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long is venison good before you need to freeze it?

How long can you keep your deer on ice before freezing it? Thanks for the help!

great question im lookin forward to some answers on this as well

Comment

We keep ours on ice for a week and keep draining out bloody water, gets rid of a lot of game taste .

Comment

I've left mine in the ice chest for 10 days, no problem. They commonly age beef 30 days or more. Sorry I don't have an absolute answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster Buck View Post
          We keep ours on ice for a week and keep draining out bloody water, gets rid of a lot of game taste .
          X2!!!

Comment

Not sure if pork is in the same category, but I just froze some yesterday that sat in a draining cooler for 7 days (repleneshing the ice of course).
            No smell or film of any kind on the meat.

Comment

I leave mine hanging in the cooler for no less than 10 days. Sounds bad but when it starts to grow mold on it you know its tender.

Comment

I kept the quarters in the fridge for a week before cutting it up.

Comment

I leave mine on ice in the cooler for 4-5 days... draining the water and adding more ice once or twice in the mean time...

then take it out, and start preparing/cutting for freezer bags or the grill...

Comment

I leave mine on ice for 4-5 days then cut it up and put it in the freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by hweissert View Post
                      X2!!!
                      X3

Comment

Usually a week and keep draining the bloody water out. I sometimes pour about 20oz of white distilled vinegar over the meat right at first and it seems to help speed the aging process and it is usually quite a bit more tender. A buddy told me about the vinegar trick several years ago and it works pretty darn good. Not sure exactly how it works but I can tell a difference when I do it.

Comment

I try to leave mine cold for about 5 days, but the ol' lady thinks it's gonna go bad so I leave it in an additional 2 so that she won't want to eat any.

One thing I don't like to do is put the ice on top. I put the ice on the bottom, if I don't put it in the fridge, and leave the drain plug open. If it is submerged in water too long it turns brown which ultimately means ALL of the blood is gone. Blood is flavor.

Comment

^^^^^thats funny!

Comment

Depends on the temperature that you keep the meat at. Should be under 40'F, anything above and it shortens the time you are safe to keep it from spoiling. If its been iced the whole time I have deer in a ice cooler (preferably not submerged in water) for up to 12 days. I have iced deer in the past, but I prefer to dry age mine by hanging in a cooler with the hide on for at least 14 days. Really changes the flavor of the meat and by leaving the hide on keeps the carcass from drying out too badly.

Comment

Working...
                              X