Laguna Atascosa Rifle Hunt 2016/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whitetail83 View Post
    Just found out I was drawn for the Jan 20-22 rifle Nilgai hunt. Never been down to the Atascosa or hunted Nilgai. Couple of questions... Do they have assigned blind locations or can the hunter free range? Also, is a .270 with a 150 grain Barnes or Nosler an ethical choice or should I take my .308 with a 180 grain? Any idea what the average shot distance is? Thanks, Matt.
    I was also drawn for the Jan 20-22 hunt. How often are the "big bulls" seen? It seems that several younger animals and cows are being harvested. Are the bigger bulls held up in the heavy brush or do they stay out of range on the salt flats? What would be the best strategy for hunting a mature bull?
    Thanks

Comment

I was down last weekend with 2 buddy's for the third rifle hunt. None of us had ever hunted here before. The first day we saw 10 nilgai between the 3 of us. They were all way out in the fields. The second morning, we all 3 killed animals in the first hour. We killed two whitetails and a nilgai. It was a great hunt and I hope to do it again some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mac5858 View Post
        I was down last weekend with 2 buddy's for the third rifle hunt. None of us had ever hunted here before. The first day we saw 10 nilgai between the 3 of us. They were all way out in the fields. The second morning, we all 3 killed animals in the first hour. We killed two whitetails and a nilgai. It was a great hunt and I hope to do it again some day.

That's awesome, what unit did yall hunt?

Comment

May I ask what unit? How are the mosquitos and chiggers? Heard they are terrible? What

Comment

We were in section 8 the entire time. We hunted around the creek beds. Not mosquitos or chigger, but the animals were covered in ticks. They are really serious about that so make sure you take a tarp like the rules state. I've gotta get to 5 post before it will let me post pics. I killed a really nice 10pt.

Comment

Comment

Are you talking about the water that splits unit 3 & 8?

Comment

Wow! Nice Buck!

Comment

That's a stud!

Comment

Originally posted by casilva43 View Post
                      Are you talking about the water that splits unit 3 & 8?
                      Yes. There isn't any water in those lakes.

Comment

Yes. There isn't any water in those lakes.
                        I sent you a PM

Comment

Is the cell service good enough to access google earth while on the Refuge?

Comment

Originally posted by Whitetail83 View Post
                            Is the cell service good enough to access google earth while on the Refuge?

I have AT&T and I had service everywhere. I stayed on google earth.

Comment

We were out there as a visitor today and had cell service. I have verizon.

Comment

I have AT&T and I had service everywhere. I stayed on google earth.
                                I use google earth all the time out there. Verizon and AT&T

Comment

Working...
                                X