No announcement yet.

James Daughtery Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

choke canyon cabins - right outside of calliham unit. has a few cabins and rv spots.
    Mylissa - 361-318-494eight

Choke canyon get away rv park - between calliham and south shore -
    Doug - 210-818-615nine

Another Rv/cabin off Hwy 99 right before the bridge but dont have any contact info.

Comment

also if your staying around Calliham and get a unit by the Daughtrey headquarters your looking at about an 45 min drive.

Comment

Last year for the youth doe/spike hunt, they assigned compartments

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
          I believe they assign them. Waiting to hear report from a TBH'er who was there this weekend for youth doe hunt.

TBH'er "wence" will also have his son there same time as us. We're staying at Choke Canyon State Park in one of the shelters. They're $50 a night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was wondering if you have to check in every day at the check in station if staying in Tilden wouldn't be easier.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE_Drenalin View Post
            Was wondering if you have to check in every day at the check in station if staying in Tilden wouldn't be easier.

I think you only check back in when you have an animal but maybe someone who knows for sure will chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE_Drenalin View Post

We had to check in and check out daily, but if you are in the Calliham you could do it by phone call, but if you get a deer you need to bring it back to headquarters for data.

Comment

Take horns if you are familiar with rattling unless you believe it'll be too fast pace of a situation for your nephew between seeing the deer, determining if he's a legal shooter, and taking a shot. I hunted unit 6 and would do it again in a heart beat if possible (as long as the lake isn't way higher then 2 years ago).

They drew names out of a hat for order of who got what unit. The biologist considers how many people you have in your group too when he's selecting the unit for you.

I stayed in some small cabins just before you get to Calliham park. So I drove through Tilden back to the unit which was about a 25-30 min drive.

Also Ask Chris, if I'm remembering his name correctly, on suggestions about your unit that you are given

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                  We had to check in and check out daily, but if you are in the Calliham you could do it by phone call, but if you get a deer you need to bring it back to headquarters for data.

Thanks

Comment

My Dad, two Uncles and I were drawn this past season for the GDE hunt in January. We hunted in compartment 9, which was on the Northwest side of the lake on hwy 99 across the bridge. This compartment was the most convenient for us because we took a travel trailer and stayed at the Callihan state park by the lake.
                    We were able to pick our compartments in the order in which our applications were drawn. Listening to others it seems compartment drawings differ each hunt. We did not have to go back to headquarters after each hunt but we had to call in and let them know we were leaving the area. Although, if you killed something, deer, coyote, hog, etc, you had to take it back to the check station no matter what it was. We saw several deer, hogs, turkeys and javelinas. Not many but a few really good bucks(130 to 150s b&c) that we could not get a shot at and a bunch of smaller bucks from about 110 to 130 b&c. I ended up taking an 8 pointer that scored around 120. Take plenty of corn and corn the scenderios and roadways thick. When we went the rut was winding down and not much responded to rattling horns or grunt tubes. Be prepared to sit all day. They move all day long.
                    If you are looking for cabins and plan to hunt by the lake the Callihan park also had cabins with bunks. No appliances if I remember correctly but it is a roof with a bed, electricity and heater/ air conditioner. Chris was the ranch manager and was very helpful assisting us on our hunt, so don't be afraid to ask him questions. I think he is still the manager. Hopefully that helps you out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay9 View Post
                      My Dad, two Uncles and I were drawn this past season for the GDE hunt in January. We hunted in compartment 9, which was on the Northwest side of the lake on hwy 99 across the bridge. This compartment was the most convenient for us because we took a travel trailer and stayed at the Callihan state park by the lake.
                      We were able to pick our compartments in the order in which our applications were drawn. Listening to others it seems compartment drawings differ each hunt. We did not have to go back to headquarters after each hunt but we had to call in and let them know we were leaving the area. Although, if you killed something, deer, coyote, hog, etc, you had to take it back to the check station no matter what it was. We saw several deer, hogs, turkeys and javelinas. Not many but a few really good bucks(130 to 150s b&c) that we could not get a shot at and a bunch of smaller bucks from about 110 to 130 b&c. I ended up taking an 8 pointer that scored around 120. Take plenty of corn and corn the scenderios and roadways thick. When we went the rut was winding down and not much responded to rattling horns or grunt tubes. Be prepared to sit all day. They move all day long.
                      If you are looking for cabins and plan to hunt by the lake the Callihan park also had cabins with bunks. No appliances if I remember correctly but it is a roof with a bed, electricity and heater/ air conditioner. Chris was the ranch manager and was very helpful assisting us on our hunt, so don't be afraid to ask him questions. I think he is still the manager. Hopefully that helps you out.
                      Thanks for the info. I know as of now, there are 3 father/son sets of us staying at the state park shelters. Do you think it is best for us to try to pick something (if given chance) convenient to the Park or were some of the farther units better for hunting? Or does it even matter to try to go for a certain unit?

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                        This is how our gator hunt went in Sept... Guys working there try and make it as easy on you as possible..

Comment

Most the guys who hunted the Calliham unit that I talked to were covered up in bucks, the side I was on was slim pickings. I forget what unit he was in, but one compartment borders a large ranch that is NOT HUNTED. One worker told him of some giants that move around in that particular compartment. I didn't think to write down the compartment for future reference.

Comment

Killed at Daughtrey this week on bow hunt. Don't really know any other info but that's a nice deer!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I know as of now, there are 3 father/son sets of us staying at the state park shelters. Do you think it is best for us to try to pick something (if given chance) convenient to the Park or were some of the farther units better for hunting? Or does it even matter to try to go for a certain unit?
                              I think any compartment you pick is good. Compartment 9 and 10 were about 15 to 20 minutes, max from the Callihan park which was more convenient for us. We saw lot of deer and like I said some good bucks as well. From our hunt in January the only other compartment I heard of a hunter seeing good deer was compartment 6 I believe, which is right by headquarters. But you are in South Texas and there are good deer everywhere. Good luck and post pics.

Comment

I stayed at Choke Canyon Lodge, and drove up to the JD. It was about a 25 min drive. If I chose to stay there again, I might pick a unit in Calliham just for something close to my hunting unit and my lodging, for that mid day break. But they try to put you close to where you are staying. When I picked #5 and I told him where I was staying, he gave me multiple chances to change my mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X