Arrow help.... I think I over did it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
    I’d be open to a 430 grain set up with higher foc if I can find arrows as durable and reliable as the axis. These things have been awesome for me. I’ve broken a couple but they either got stuck in wood or a friend broke a couple hitting hard plastic inserts in a deer target. They were glancing blows on the deer target. The wood one broke trying to get it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like my Black Eagle carnivores. You can really play with the FOC on them between point weights and such. As far as being tough, i can't really comment because I baby my equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
      I like my Black Eagle carnivores. You can really play with the FOC on them between point weights and such. As far as being tough, i can't really comment because I baby my equipment.

Do they come in a 5mm shaft like axis

Comment

Do they come in a 5mm shaft like axis

No. They are a .244 I believe or something like that. You may want to go out and shop for arrows to see what all out there meets your desires and go from there. You seem to have what you want narrowed down, which should make shopping a bit easier. A few companies to look at:

Black Eagle
        Element
        Easton

Comment

So I’m drawing 70 lbs and 27” draw on a Mathews no cam htx. I recently had my DL shortened from 27.5”. I had my arrows cut down and added 75 grain inserts. I was at 430 grain and 280 fps and now I’m at 476 grain and 250 fps. Shooting Easton axis 340 5mm.

I didn’t realize how drastic the drop was going to be out to 40 and 50 yards. I’m sure I have a TON of momentum and KE now but did I over do it? Is there a set up that would give me adequate momentum and KE and put me closer to 285-290 fps? Totally getting discouraged here on loss of fps and sloooooooow arrow at longer range.

I did basically the same thing except shorten my draw.(heavy arrow + 75 grain insert) Went from 400 grain to 500 grain arrow. Like you I was a little taken back at the drop but I love the quietness of the bow and how well the heavy arrow shots everything(FP all kinds of BH same POE). Just going to have to pay more attention to distance. Before the change I was good out to 30yards....now if its past 22ish I need to consider bumping the single pin. DXT 28draw 65lbs

Comment

you have basically my exact set-up ---- it works great!!! Don't worry about the speed

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post

I'm not sure what you mention solid bone won't matter. A good head with a good arrow bone breaks.
              Yes, yes it will.

Off side shoulder,quartered away, 24 yards. The 4th blade broke trying to pull the head out of the bone.

Comment

I shot the black eagle carnivores for a short period of time, I don't think they are very durable at all. Broke the 12 I had in a relatively short period of time. Tried a few of the Easton skinny shafts also. I now shoot gold tips, seem much much more durable, and you can add fact weights to the back of the inserts. Very easy to play with foc, and tuning. You can add and subtract weight at will and not have to reglue inserts or any thing. I don't get the " skinny shaft " thing either ( I think it's a fad, like skinny jeans to some. And manufactures love getting our money by trying to reinvent the wheel) once the broadhead makes the hole the shaft is going to follow.( broad head making a bigger cut then the shaft) The blood and body fluids act as a lubricant and there is no more drag on a standered size shaft then a skinny one. Shooting in the wind, at long distance there was a slight benifit, of two inches at 60 yards with about a 15 mile an hour wind. To me not worth the hassle of hit inserts, or half outs or any of the things I tried with the skinny's. I like to tinker also with my set up, and always come up with something else I want to try. And the fact weights make it simple. You can get them in 20 gr. and 50 gr. And maybe smaller. But I just mess with it until I get an arrow that flies great and settle on it, then I will check my momentum, speed and front foc. and not worry to much about it , unless it's way off or something then it's back to tinkering. Either one of your set ups will work, as long as they tune correctly.Right now I shoot a 483 gr. total arrow weight at 243fps. ( chrono graphed) like the way it shoots, but I liked it when I shot a lighter arrow also ,but for now it's what I use and haven't had a problem. Good luck, go with whatever you have total confidence in.
                Last edited by critter69; 10-13-2017, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X